Local and Timely High Desert Gardening Tips
March 16th thru March 31st, 2017
Moana Nursery Teammates say, "For successful high
desert gardening, NOW is the time to ..........."
Did you know our Plant Doctors offer three horticulture consulting services?
- At-Your-Site Planning, Diagnostic & Design Assistance -- high desert expertise tailored to your property & need ... $125 for first hour; $50 for each additional 30 minute block.
- At-Your-Site House Call for an on-site diagnosis ... $50 for 30 minute visit to diagnose a specific issue. You need not be present.
- In-Store Consultation ... $40 for 30 minute visit – dedicated time with a plant doctor. Bring pictures, plant samples and questions to the store.
For more details, contact the plant doctor at the store nearest you:
ML: Jon Bruyn at 825-0602 x118 or email@example.com
ML: Lisa Braginton at 825-0602 x104 or firstname.lastname@example.org
SV: Steve Packer at 853-1319 x225 or email@example.com
PH: Michelle Gilmore at 425-4300 x303 or firstname.lastname@example.org
General Garden & Lawn Care:
- Call Moana Nursery 825-0602 x134 now to schedule your irrigation turn-on with our Irrigation Specialist.
- Apply pre-emergent weed control to prevent germination of weeds and unwanted plants in your landscape. Moana recommends: Green Light Amaze and Monterey Weed Impede for flower beds & non-planted areas, hillsides, paths, etc.) and Bonide Weed Beater for lawns. Aerate your lawn, and if necessary, dethatch.
- Feed lawn with G&B Organics Lawn Fertilizer.
- Prevent and kill any existing crabgrass with Bonide Weed Beater Complete --a pre & post-emergent.
- Rake up remaining leaves and debris, but leave a little for nesting material for the birds.
- Start a compost pile; add any G&B Organics Fertilizer. The nitrogen and microorganisms will speed up decomposition.
Tree and Shrub Care
- Purchase and plant dormant Star roses with G&B Organics Rose & Flower Planting Mix now. Dormant roses offer a greater selection than roses available in May and since there are no leaves, the cane structure is clearly visible. Planting them now will promote strong roots and beautiful blooms earlier than if you waited until May to buy roses already in leaf and bloom.
- Plant fruit trees – pear, apple, peach, cherry, apricot, nectarine & plum -- on a dry day before buds swell with G&B Organics Planting Mix or Harvest Supreme and G&B Organics Starter Fertilizer; mulch with G&B Organics Soil Building Compost. Plant trees and shrubs while they are still dormant -- before they break bud.
- Feed existing fruit trees with G&B Organics Citrus & Fruit Tree Fertilizer.
- Expand drip system before you plant dormant trees, shrubs and perennials.
- If fruit & large deciduous trees have broken bud wait to spray or adjust the concentration of your oil. Bonide All Seasons Horticultural & Dormant Oil will help control aphids, scale or mites that were a problem in the past. If fungal diseases such as scab and powdery mildew have been a problem, spray with Bonide Copper Fungicide or Monterey Liqui-Cop according to the label. Avoid spraying on windy days.
- Feed trees, shrubs and perennials that have been planted more than a year with G&B Organics All Purpose Fertilizer or Gro-Power Toss’n’Gro Fertilizer
- Apply systemic Bonide Annual Tree & Shrub Insect Control as needed to protect against insects such as bronze birch borer.
- Apply Plantskydd or Bonide Repels All to protect spring blooms, trees & shrubs from rabbits, deer & voles.
- Prune summer flowering shrubs & trees.
Perennial & Annual Care
- Cut back close to the ground all perennials now; wait until the end of the month to cut back ornamental grasses.
- Gently press back any perennials that heaved out of the ground over winter.
- Plant cool-season flowers – primrose, pansies, violas, candytuft, thyme, and others with G&B Organics Starter Fertilizer.
- Plant summer blooming bulbs – gladiola, crocosmia, lily of the valley, and others except dahlias now with G&B Organics Bone Meal or Bud & Bloom Fertilizer.
Indoor Plant Care:
- Begin fertilizing houseplants with Bonide Liquid Plant Food, Grow More Sea Grow All Purpose Plant Food or Osmocote Outdoor & Indoor Slow Release Fertilizer as new growth begins.
Herb, Fruit & Vegetable Care:
- Start an edible garden – plant radish, lettuce and cabbage seeds, onions, potatoes, peas, asparagus, garlic, shallots, strawberries, rhubarb, horseradish and Swiss chard amending G&B Organics Planting Mix or Raised Bed and Potting Mix with G&B Organics Harvest Supreme in a raised bed or a Smart Pot.
- Visit our edible demonstration gardens at all three locations.
- Prune grapevine & raspberry bushes and feed with G&B Organics Citrus & Fruit Tree Fertilizer.
- Start warm-season annual and vegetable seeds indoors with a HydroFarm Starter Kit.
- Improve seed starting success with Jump Start 20” X 18” Seedling Heat Mat.
- With wild birds’ natural food supply at its lowest this month, offer them high energy foods like peanuts, suet, Bark Butter and mealworms.
- Some birds will begin building their nests this month; place nesting materials out for them now and consider a Wild Birds Unlimited birdhouse for wrens, chickadees or woodpeckers if they are visiting your yard.
- Offer Peanut Butter n’Jelly suet dough to provide the extra calcium needed during nesting season.
- Continue to supply fresh water and change it every 5 days to keep it clean.
- If you have a water feature, turn it on as soon as weather permits.
- Install a customized Wild Birds Unlimited bird feeding station where you can easily watch the birds it attracts.
Did you know that we can do the following for you? Call 825-0602 x134 for more information.
- Install and maintain indoor plants – new Plant Services business features design, clean-air plants, maintenance & more
- Plant rental service
- Seasonal container & bedding service
- Custom Container drop-off & pick up
- Bulk Material Installation/Spreading
- Design & install holiday lighting
- Tune up your landscape and irrigation system
- Add a water feature
- Design and install a new landscape
- Upgrade an existing landscape
- Install a driveway, patio and other hardscapes
- Install FieldTurf artificial putting greens, lawns, dog runs & play areas
- Create a backyard bird habitat; have a healthier landscape this year – Make an appointment for an at-your site consultation; call our Plant Doctors:
Jon Bruyn at 825-0602 x118 or email@example.com
Lisa Braginton at 825-0602 x104 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Steve Packer at 853-1319 x225 or email@example.com
Michelle Gilmore at 425-4300 x303 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Helpful Video Showing How To Turn Your Irrigation/Sprinkler System On & Off - - View by clicking this link to Moana's You Tube Video.