Timely, Local Tips
March 1st to March 15th, 2015
Moana Nursery Teammates say, "For successful high
desert gardening, NOW is the time to ..........."
Mother Nature Keeps Teasing Us, But She Hasn’t Delivered Much Yet!
Visit this helpful link on high desert winter watering to read our fact sheet “Winter Watering.”
Although we had some precipitation this week, uneven amounts were received depending on your micro-climate and the plantings in your yard. To be sure your landscape receives adequate water, we recommend that you use a soil probe in several parts of your landscape – especially around your trees -- to determine the moisture in your soil. Purchase an InGauge soil moisture tester at Moana Nursery; if you find your soil is dry, then you need to water!
Remember -- plants in the ground, especially newly planted (last fall and later) trees, shrubs and perennials, need the equivalent of one inch of precipitation per month. Plants in containers need more since they dry out faster.
Now is the time for pruning fruit & deciduous trees. You may need to wait to spray with dormant oil and a fungicide if diseases such as peach curl and powdery mildew were a problem last year. See below for more information.
General Garden & Lawn Care:
- Apply pre-emergent weed control to prevent germination of weeds and unwanted plants in your landscape. Moana recommends: Green Light Amaze and Monterey Weed Impede for flower beds & non-planted areas, hillsides, paths, etc.) and Bonide Weed Beater Complete for lawns.
- Feed lawn with Dr. Earth Lawn Fertilizer. Aerate your lawn, and if necessary, dethatch.
- Prevent and kill any existing crabgrass with Bonide Weed Beater Complete --a pre & post-emergent.
- Rake up remaining leaves and debris, but leave a little for nesting material for the birds.
- Start a compost pile; consider an Achla Spinning Composter for faster composting.
- Sharpen tools and pruners – drop off at Moana Nursery on Moana Lane by Sunday and pick up late Monday.
Tree and Shrub Care
- Purchase and plant dormant Star roses with Dr. Earth Rose & Flower Planting Mix now. Dormant roses offer a greater selection than roses available in May and since there are no leaves, the cane structure is clearly visible. Planting them now will promote strong roots and beautiful blooms earlier than if you waited until May to buy roses already in leaf and bloom.
- Plant fruit trees – pear, apple, peach, cherry, apricot, nectarine & plum -- on a dry day before buds swell with Dr. Earth Fruit Tree Planting Mix and Dr. Earth Fruit Tree Fertilizer; mulch with Gardner & Bloome Soil Building Compost. Plant trees and shrubs while they are still dormant -- before they break bud.
- Feed existing fruit trees with Dr. Earth Fruit Tree Fertilizer.
- Expand drip system before you plant dormant trees, shrubs and perennials.
- If fruit & large deciduous trees have broken bud do not spray now. Wait until after the petals have fallen to spray with Bonide All Seasons Horticultural & Dormant Oil to control aphids, scale or mites that were a problem in the past. If fungal diseases such as peach leaf curl and powdery mildew have been a problem, wait until petals have fallen to spray with Bonide Copper Fungicide. Use according to label. Avoid spraying on windy days.
- Feed trees, shrubs and perennials that have been planted more than a year with Dr. Earth Life Fertilizer.
- Apply systemic Bonide Annual Tree & Shrub Insect Control as soon as ground thaws to provide protection before insects like aphids become active.
- Since we have had unseasonably warm weather, pests such as voles & rabbits have become more active. Apply Plantskydd or Bonide Repels All to protect spring blooms, trees & shrubs from rabbits, deer & voles.
- Prune summer flowering shrubs & trees.
Perennial & Annual Care
- Cut back close to the ground all ornamental grasses & perennials.
- Gently press back any perennials that heaved out of the ground over winter.
- Plant cool-season flowers – stocks, primrose, pansies, violets, Shirley poppies, ranunculus, candytuft, thyme, flowering kale and cabbage, etc. with Dr. Earth Starter Fertilizer.
- Plant summer blooming bulbs – dahlias, gladiola, crocosmia, lily of the valley, and others now with Dr. Earth Bulb Food.
Indoor Plant Care:
- Begin fertilizing houseplants with Grow More Sea Grow All Purpose Plant Food, Dr. Earth All Purpose Liquid Fertilizer or Osmocote Outdoor & Indoor Slow Release Fertilizer as new growth begins.
- Plant a terrarium.
Herb, Fruit & Vegetable Care:
- Start an edible garden – plant radish, lettuce and cabbage seeds, onions, potatoes, asparagus, garlic, shallots, strawberries, rhubarb, horseradish and Swiss chard, using Dr. Earth Vegetable Planting Mix in a raised bed or a Smart Pot.
- Visit our square foot and container edible demonstration gardens at all three locations.
- Prune grapevine & raspberry bushes and feed with Dr. Earth Fruit Tree Fertilizer.
- Start warm-season annual and vegetable seeds indoors with a HydroFarm Starter Kit.
- Grow herbs and smaller vegetables with a Sun Blaster adjustable light fixture.
- Improve seed starting success with Jump Start 20” X 18” Seedling Heat Mat.
- With wild birds’ natural food supply at its lowest this month, offer them high energy foods like peanuts, suet, Bark Butter and mealworms.
- Some birds will begin building their nests this month; place nesting materials out for them now and consider a Wild Birds Unlimited birdhouse for wrens, chickadees or woodpeckers if they are visiting your yard.
- Offer Calcium or Peanut Butter n’Jelly suet dough to provide the extra calcium needed during nesting season.
- Continue to supply fresh water and change it every 5 days to keep it clean.
- If you have a water feature, turn it on as soon as weather permits.
- Install a customized Wild Birds Unlimited bird feeding station where you can easily watch the birds it attracts.
Did you know that we can do the following for you? Call 825-0602 ext.134.
- Install and maintain indoor plants – new Plant Services business features design, clean-air plants, maintenance & more.
- Plant rental service.
- Seasonal container & bedding service.
- Custom Container drop-off & pick up.
- Bulk Material Installation/Spreading.
- Design & install holiday lighting.
- Tune up your landscape and irrigation system. Conserve water!
- Add a water feature.
- Design and install a new landscape.
- Upgrade an existing landscape.
- Install a driveway, patio and other hardscapes.
- Install FieldTurf (EasyTurf) artificial putting greens, lawns, dog runs & play areas.
- Create a backyard bird habitat.
- Have a healthier landscape this year – Make an appointment for an at-your site consultation; call our Plant Doctors:
Jon Bruyn at 240-9783 or email@example.com
Lisa Braginton at 843-7479 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Steve Packer at 233-5113 or email@example.com
Michelle Gilmore at 425-4300 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Helpful Video Showing How To Turn Your Irrigation/Sprinkler System On & Off - - View by clicking this link to Moana's You Tube Video.