Timely, Local Tips
April 16th thru April 30th, 2014
Moana Nursery Teammates say, "For successful high
desert gardening, NOW is the time to ..........."
General Garden & Lawn Care:
- Prepare planting beds by cleaning up debris and incorporating three inches of organic matter, like Gardner & Bloome Soil Building Compost or Dr. Earth Compost into the soil.
- Continue watering trees, shrubs, lawns, perennials and containers.
- Turn on your irrigation system and inspect for leaks, broken/clogged heads, inadequate coverage and other problems. Or call 825-0602 x134 to schedule Moana’s Irrigation Specialist to do it for you.
- Start a new lawn from seed or repair an existing lawn; cover seed with Dr. Earth Compost and use Holigraphic Scare Tape to protect from birds. Moana recommends Bonide Dura Turf Seed.
- Core aerate your lawn; apply Dr. Earth Super Natural Lawn Fertilizer. To control weeds, use Green It Corn Gluten Weed Preventer. To bring an old lawn renewed vigor, top dress with Gardner & Bloome Soil Building Compost or Dr. Earth Compost to ¼ inch depth.
- Continue to kill cheatgrass and other weeds with Bonide KeenUP where you don’t intend to plant.
- Sharpen tools and pruners – drop off at any Moana Nursery -- by Monday for late Tuesday pick-up.
Tree and Shrub Care:
- Remove tree stakes and ties from trees & shrubs planted a year ago or longer.
- Continue planting fruit trees – pear, apple, peach, apricot, nectarine, cherry & plum.
- Feed fruit trees with a balanced organic fertilizer like Dr. Earth Fruit Tree Fertilizer.
- Inspect trees and shrubs for insect and disease problems; treat immediately with appropriate product.
- Prune spring-flowering shrubs (forsythia, lilacs, quince, almond, etc.) immediately after they bloom.
- Use Tanglefoot Codling Moth Traps, according to directions, to determine when and how often to treat fruit trees with Captain Jack’s Dead Bug Brew.
- Feed trees and shrubs that have been planted more than a year. Moana recommends Dr. Earth Life Fertilizer and systemic Bonide Annual Tree & Shrub Insect Control if insects have been a problem in the past.
Perennial & Annual Care:
- Continue planting dormant roses.
- If not already done, gently remove mulch placed on roses last fall and pull back 3 inches from the canes. Use a hose to rinse off remaining mulch from the canes.
- Prune, feed and mulch your roses; Moana recommends Dr. Earth Rose & Flower Fertilizer or Bonide Systemic Rose & Flower Care (feeds & protects). For systemic insect and disease control, use Bonide Rose Rx Drench. Mulch with Dr. Earth Rose & Flower Planting Mix or Gardner & Bloome Soil Building Compost, being sure to keep mulch 3 inches from the canes.
- Deadhead spring bulbs once they’ve finished flowering, but allow foliage to wither completely before removing.
- Stake peonies to support blooms when they reach 10” in height.
- Plant summer bulbs with Dr. Earth Organic Bulb Food – Moana Nursery has a large selection of gladiola, dahlias, lilies, begonias, peonies, cannas, bleeding heart, and more.
- Fertilize spring blooming bulbs with Dr. Earth Bud & Bloom Fertilizer as new green growth emerges or when they finish flowering.
- Pull back mulch from around the crowns of perennials if you haven’t done so.
- Plant cool weather color, perennials, ornamental grasses & roses.
- Divide mature summer and fall blooming perennials (except for daylilies, Oriental poppies & iris) when they are 4-6 inches tall.
Indoor Plant Care:
- Start tomatoes, other warm-season vegetables & annuals from seed indoors.
- Begin fertilizing houseplants with Dr. Earth Liquid Fertilizer or Grow More Sea Grow Fertilizer as new growth begins
- Repot potbound houseplants with Dr. Earth Pot of Gold Potting Soil.
Herb, Fruit & Vegetable Care:
- Plant tender veggies with Dr. Earth Tomato & Vegetable Planting Mix and Dalen Gardeneer Season Starter frost protection which allows you to start tomatoes, peppers, squash, etc., 6-8 weeks earlier without fear of freezing. Plants will be healthier and produce up to twice the fruit 30-40 days earlier.
- Plant strawberries and pinch off first year flowers.
- Fertilize raspberries and other brambles with Dr. Earth Fruit Tree Fertilizer.
- Spray fruit trees with Liquid Fence FreezePruf to protect this year’s harvest from frost damage.
- Hummingbirds & Orioles will begin appearing later this month. Now’s the time to put out oranges and grape jelly for Orioles and sugar water for hummingbirds.
- Continue to supply fresh water and change it every 2-3 days to keep it clean. To prevent the chance of disease, clean birdbath weekly with a weak bleach solution and rinse well.
- Install a customized Wild Birds Unlimited bird feeding station where you can easily watch the birds it attracts.
- Offer WBU Bark Butter Bits, Calcium Care Suet Dough, Peanut Butter n’Jelly Suet Dough or WBU Bark Butter to provide the extra calcium needed during nesting season.
Did you know that we can do the following for you?
- Install and maintain indoor plants – new Plant Services business features design, clean-air plants, maintenance & more
- Design & install holiday lighting
- Tune up your landscape and irrigation system
- Add a water feature
- Design and install a new landscape
- Upgrade an existing landscape
- Install a driveway, patio and other hardscapes
- Install FieldTurf artificial putting greens, lawns, dog runs & play areas
- Create a backyard bird habitat; have a healthier landscape this year
- Call 825-0602 x134 for more information on Landscape Services
- Make an appointment for an at-your site consultation - Call a "plant doctor"
Jon Bruyn at 240-9783 or firstname.lastname@example.org Moana Lane
Steve Packer at 233-5113 or email@example.com South Virginia St.
Michelle Gilmore at 425-4300 or firstname.lastname@example.org Pyramid Hwy.
Lisa Braginton at 843-7479 or email@example.com Moana Lane
Helpful Video Showing How To Turn Your Irrigation/Sprinkler System On & Off - - View by clicking this link to Moana's You Tube Video.