Seminars & Events
Our seminars and workshops are conducted by our friendly and knowledgeable staff and local garden experts.
- Seminars are held in our Landscape & DesignCenter at the Moana Lane Nursery location (across the parking lot).
- They are held on Saturdays at 10AM and last about an hour.
- Seminars are FREE, and we operate on a first come, first served basis.
- Space is limited to a maximum of 60, so please come early to get a seat.
- Standing in the back of the room is not permitted, as this is a fire hazard. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter.
- Popular seminar topics may be repeated.
- We appreciate feedback on our seminars ... please complete this quick survey here.
Composting 101- Turn your Garden & Kitchen Waste into Black Gold
Begins: Saturday, October 4, 2014 at 10:00 AM PST
October 4: Composting 101- Turn your Garden & Kitchen Waste into Black GoldJoin Moana plant doctor, horticulturist and long-time high desert gardener Steve Packer to learn the basics of composting: what to compost – from yard waste to kitchen scraps; the steps and recipe for turning them into a rich soil amendment for your garden: the numerous kinds of composters available along with their benefits. Steve will share his own tips for successful composting.
Winterizing Roses, Shrubs & Trees and Putting your Yard to Bed
Begins: Saturday, October 11, 2014 at 10:00 AM PST
October 11: Winterizing Roses, Shrubs & Trees and Putting your Yard to BedJon Bruyn, Moana plant doctor, certified arborist and high desert gardener, will present expert tips and techniques for preparing your roses, flowering shrubs, trees for the winter. Included in the presentation are: NOT pruning before winter, minimizing damage, watering routines and winter mulching. This is one of our most popular seminars, so be sure to arrive a bit early.
Pumpkin Decorating Workshop
Begins: Saturday, October 18, 2014 at 10:00 AM PST
October 18: Pumpkin Decorating Workshop: Join our dynamic duo from the Florist at Moana – Joni Thomsen & Debbie Murray for this fun, creative workshop. You’ll learn decorating tips & techniques and leave with your very own pumpkin Picasso or should we say Monet? $15 per person includes all supplies and pumpkin. Great for parents/grandparents and kids 5 yr. and older. All children under age 16 need to be accompanied by a participating adult. Must sign-up and pay workshop fee of $15 in advance at our Moana Lane store or you can call 825-0600 and register with your credit card. (No shows will not be refunded their money.) Class size is limited to 20. Registration closes October 17 or when full, whichever comes first. A minimum of 10 is required for workshop to be held. Workshop is held at the Moana Lane store