Preparing Your Garden for Winter
While maybe not as fun as preparing your garden for springtime, preparing your garden for winter can mean less work and better results in the spring. In this video, you'll learn about all the steps you should take to prepare your garden and plants for winter. Moana Nursery Plant Doctor, Lisa Braginton, will explain the importance of all the following winterization steps:
- Winterize your irrigation system
- Use winter mulching as a protective measure against freeze-and-thaw cycles
- Fertilize (for your lawn, only)
- Take care of non-cold-hardy plants
- Identify and treat pest problems
- Apply pre-emergent to prevent weeds in the spring
- Winterize water features and bird baths
- (Optional) Feed the birds!
- Clean and store tools
- Plan your spring gardening season!