Moana Lane Garden Center
The Florist, Greenhouse & Gift Shop
1100 W. Moana Lane, Reno
S. Virginia St. Garden Center
Tree Land & Moana Rock
11301 S. Virginia St., Reno
New Sparks Location
Pyramid Way Garden Center
Sparks Nursery & Greenhouse
3397 Pyramid Way, Sparks
Monday - Saturday:
8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Hours for all three locations including all 3 Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops, Tree Land & Moana Rock.
The Florist at Moana Lane is closed Sunday (except before Valentine's Day, Mother's Day & Easter Sunday) but great arrangements are available in the cooler and orders taken by nursery teammates.
Landscape & Design Center
Water-Wise Irrigation, Hardscapes, Maintenance & Water Features
1190 W. Moana Lane, Reno
775-825-0602 X 134
NV Lic. #3379 A, D
CA Lic. #317448
Halloween, 99 CENT Pumpkins, World Series, Football, Columbus Day, Dig/Drop/Done and ...
It's true ... Fall is the BEST TIME to plant as conditions are usually perfect and the plant can concentrate on first things first - - grow those ROOTS - - get ready for winter/be really ready for spring!
Spooky Delights and Colorful Frights
Check out our great selection of fall and Halloween decorations. Delight trick-or-treaters or celebrate fall with these unique wood pieces. Some are large enough to display on a front porch or can be used indoors. Shop now for best selection to make your Halloween a scream!
All Moana-grown Pumpkins: 99 cents
Any Size, Any Color, Any Type!
Best Price in Town
Minis and Gourds only 79 cents!
|Timely, Local High Desert Tips
Now is the time to ...
Yellowing & dropping of pine, spruce, cedar & juniper needles ...
It is common for evergreens with needles to shed their interior foliage annually. As long as the needles are on the inside of the branch (close to the trunk) instead of at the tip of the branch, there is generally nothing to worry about. If needles are browning and dropping at the tip of branches, there is a problem; in this instance, bring a branch in to one of our plant doctors for a diagnosis.
- Plant trees, shrubs, perennials and spring blooming bulbs - fall is the best time to plant.
- Continue watering all trees, shrubs, perennials and lawns regularly until the ground freezes, gradually reducing the amount of water provided and lengthening the time between watering. You'll find great watering tips on our website. Efficient Watering is just one of our High Desert Fact Sheets which can help you save water and give your plants all the water they need; click this link to read all of our watering fact sheets: http://www.moananursery.com/expert-tips-and-info/high-desert-fact-sheets.html
- Mulch, mulch, mulch. The best thing you can do to prepare and protect your trees and shrubs for winter is to mulch them with a 2 -3" layer of G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner or walk-on bark, keeping mulch a minimum of 3-6" away from trunks.
- Many birds continue their main molt (replacement of their feathers) which requires extra protein to grow strong feathers for proper flight and effective insulation. Continue to offer high-protein bird foods, such as nyjer, peanuts, black oil sunflower, sunflower chips, Jim's Birdacious Bark Butter® and mealworms, to ensure they have a reliable source of protein to help them with molting.
- Scroll down to see our October Seminar schedule or visit moananursery.com.
Help Us Fight Breast Cancer!
10% of all retail sales - regular and sale purchases included - starting 10/8 thru 10/14, will be donated to support cancer research ... all three stores. Details here.
You Can Make
Nevada Health Centers Mammovan will be offering mammograms at two Moana Nursery stores:
Oct. 8: 1100 W. Moana Ln., Reno: 8 am - 3:30 pm (closed for lunch: Noon - 1 pm)
Nov. 7: 3397 Pyramid Way, Sparks: 8 am - 3:30 pm
(closed for lunch: Noon - 1 pm)
Call 877-581-6266 to schedule an appointment
Moana Nursery Rewards Members Only Special:
15% Savings on
All Bird Seed Cylinders
Any Size, Inclding HOT Varities!
October 1 - 31, 2018
New Arrivals for High Desert Success:
Shrubs:'Crimson Pygmy' Barberry, Cistena Plum, 'Grow-low' Sumac, 'Superstar' Spiraea.
Annuals (plant every year): 'Topaz & Garnet Mix' Pansy, 'Sorbet Orange Jump Up' Viola, 'New Look' Dusty Miller, 'Kamome Red' Ornamental Kale.
Perennials (plant once and enjoy year after year): 'Curry Up' Coreopsis, 'Purple Petticoat' Heucherea', 'Guacamole' Hosta, 'Fiona Coral Orange' and 'Jacqueline Yellow' Chrysanthemum.
Edibles: 'Music', 'Spanish Roja', 'Italian Late' & 'Susanville' Garlic; Gray Shallots.
Moana- Grown Pumpkins: 'Howden', 'Polar Bear', 'Porcelain Doll', 'One-Too-Many', 'Red Warty Thing', 'Lil' Pump-Ke-Mon', 'Cinderella.'
Moana-Grown Gourds: 'Autumn Wings'.
Spring Blooming Bulbs - buy now, plant in October, enjoy every spring: 'Daydream' Tulip, 'Dutch Master' Narcissus & 'Purple Sensation' Allium.
DIG, DROP, Done
|Sorbet Orange Jump Up Viola|
|Kamome Red Ornamental Kale|
|Topaz and Garnet Mix Pansy|
|Fiona Coral Orange Chrysanthemum|
|Jacqueline Yellow Chrysanthemum|
|Dig, Drop, Done Spring Color - - Daydream Tulip Bulb|
Custom Designed Living Walls by Vicky Ross
Elegant living walls can be portable and used as a room divider or as living art mounted on the wall. Not only are they beautiful, they:
- Fit into any space, large or small
- Are moveable
- Absorb sound noise
- Offer significant health benefits
- Are low maintenance - automatic or manual watering
For a free consultation with Vicky Ross, interior plant design & maintenance manager, call 825-0602 x 134.
Karma's Fall GardenTips:
- Apply Bonide Winterizer anytime before soil temperature drops below 50 degrees to promote winter hardiness and quicker spring green-up.
- To control a broad range of destructive pests in ornamental trees, consider using ACECAP® Systemic Insecticide Tree Implants. They provide season-long control with 12 to 18 weeks residual in deciduous trees and up to a year in evergreens.
Debbie's High Desert Shrub of the Month:
'Baileyi' Redtwig Dogwood
Reddish stems turn bright red in winter and are particularly showy against a snowy backdrop. Tolerant of a wide range of soils and attracts birds and butterflies.
Bree's October Gardening Tips
- Protect your crops from early and late frosts with Dalen Harvest Guard row covers and frost blankets. Reusable frost protection floats over delicate plants without the need for supports.
- To keep some color in the garden for as long as possible, plant Pansies, Mums, Ornamental Kale & Cabbage.
- Watch your thermometer on colder nights. A windless, cold, clear night usually means a killing frost. With frost protection, Mums and Asters can bloom for quite a while longer. A small, simple frame covered with cheesecloth or old bed sheet placed over your plants can add a month or more of garden blooms; remove as soon as the danger has passed.
- Geraniums, Begonias, Fuchsias, and other tender plants should be brought indoors or moved to a coldframe before the first frost.
- Mulch fall planted perennials with G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner to insulate soil and conserve moisture, allowing root growth to continue.
The Florist at Moana Proclaims Jack is Back
Unique Moana-grown fresh pumpkin bouquets or succulents designed in a creative botanical style. A fun seasonal alternative for special occasions or just to celebrate Fall.
We can also design a Spooktacular Pumpkin or a boo-tiful arrangement for your Halloween Party. Call The Florist at Moana to order at 775-825-0671.
Carmel's October High Desert Bird of the Month:
These medium-sized owls have long, rounded wings and short tails which combine with a buoyant, loping flight to give them a distinctive flight style. The legs are long and the head is smoothly rounded without ear tufts. Barn Owls are pale overall with dark eyes. They have a mix of buff and gray on the head, back, and upper wings, and are white on the face, body, and underwings. When seen at night they can appear all white.
Click here to read the rest of Carmel's informative articles and more on local birds at www.reno.wbu.com
Sign up there for our monthly Wild Birds Unlimited newsletter.
High Desert Moana-Grown
20% Savings on Each:
#15 'Chanticleer' Flowering Pear (reg. 152)
#15 'Autumn Purple' Ash (reg. 152)
#5 Dwarf Burning Bush (reg. 37)
#5 'Neon Flash' Spiraea, (reg. 37)
Freshest Bird Seed In Town!
100 Bag Seed Sale Oct. 15th thru 31st Only
Great Prices on No Mess DP and the NEW Tree Nutty Blend - - - Superior seed blends for Fall bird feeding!
#20 No Mess DP 36.99/32.99 Sale
#20 Tree Nutty Blend 43.99/39.99 Sale
40% Savings on All Birdbaths
40% Savings on All Outdoor Pottery*
*Excludes Crescent self-watering containers.
All Specials limited to stock on hand. Discounts on regular retails only. Selection and specials Oct. 1 - 31, 2018. In-store specials, too - all three stores! See all scheduled October specials here.
Bree's Plant of the Month: Chrysanthemum
This perennial (plant once and enjoy year after year) is a must-have for your fall garden. Its late-season flowers deliver color (orange, pink, red, yellow and more), longevity, reliability, and a variety of flower shapes. Mums work exceptionally well in containers, too.
|Carmel's Featured October Seed Blend
Our TreeNutty® Plus Blend is a favorite of woodpeckers, chickadees, nuthatches and jays. With chopped tree nuts, sunflower seeds and fruit, birds won't be able to resist this yummy blend.
| Upcoming Seminars
October 6: Sound Bath - Sound Healing
Come celebrate the season with Sound Healer Marilee Wintz and her sweet sounds! Immerse yourself in the beautiful sound bath of brilliantly colored Crystal Bowls, Reshi Chimes and Tibetian Metal Bowls and ease into autumn. Chairs will be available but please feel free to bring a yoga mat, pillow and blanket to make yourself comfortable.
A short guided meditation focused on autumn in the garden will prepare you for a relaxing and healing gentle sound concert.
Marilee Wintz is certified by the Sound Healing Academy and enjoys sharing the beautiful art of sound as a relaxing, uplifting and healing modality. Class size is limited to 30.
October 13: Greenhouse Growing
Rebekah May Stetson, owner of Sunny Day Organic Farms, will discuss growing edibles and other plants in a greenhouse year round. Rebekah will share the benefits of greenhouse growing along with equipment requirements and tips for successful growing. Her delicious and sustainable ventures include Sunny Day Organic Farms and Labour of Love. Learn more here.
October 20: Raptor Demo
Join us in welcoming Kathleen Tigan of Tactical Avian Predators, Inc. She will discuss the unique use of falconry to help wineries, growers, resorts, casinos, commercial properties, manufacturing plants, golf courses and airports. She will be joined by her avian co-workers: Louise, the Eurasian Eagle Owl, Zulu a Harris Hawk and a "special guest" Falcon. Kathleen will also explain how their specialized biology and anatomy allow them to be such efficient predators as well as how to identify raptors in the wild. Don't miss your chance to see these amazing birds close up!
October 27: Nevada Day weekend - no seminar
All seminars are free and held at Moana Nursery, 1190 W. Moana Lane, in our Landscape and Design Center unless otherwise stated. Seminars begin promptly at 10 a.m. and last one hour unless otherwise noted. Please arrive 15 minutes early as seating is limited to 60 and is first come, first served. Visit www.moananursery.com or call (775) 825-0600 for more information.
Visit any time to get expert gardening information ... 24/7!
- High Desert Fact Sheets
- Bi-weekly Timely Tips
- Helpful High Desert Videos
- Monthly Newsletters
- Weekly Specials
- High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- And much more ...
An Updated, Local Tool For You ... Moana Nursery's Exclusive High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- Search and explore plants that thrive in our unique climate and region.
- Build wish lists, learn about plant characteristics and find the perfect plants for you and your home.
- Bring your wish list to your favorite Moana Nursery location and our expert staff will help with your choices.
- Upgraded to be even better in 2018.
Have you seen all our new "how to" videos?
Some of the new ones are:
- 5 Plants for Better Sleep
- How to Check Your Lawn Sprinkler Efficiency
- Plants for Shade Gardening
- How to Prune a Japanese Maple
- Plants to Attract Pollinators
- Tidy Bird Feeding Solutions