Better Plants. Better People.
Contact Information: Email us at: customerservice@ moananursery.com
Moana Lane Garden Center
The Florist, Greenhouse &
1100 W. Moana Lane, Reno
S. Virginia St. Garden Center
Outdoor Living, Tree Land & Moana Rock
11301 S. Virginia St., Reno
Pyramid Hwy. Garden Center
Spanish Springs Nursery
7655 Pyramid Hwy., Sparks
Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
All three locations Including all 3 Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops, TreeLand & Moana Rock. The Florist at Moana Lane is closed Sunday but great arrangements available in the cooler and orders taken by nursery teammates.
Landscape & Design Center
Water-Wise Irrigation, Hardscapes, Maintenance & Water Features
1190 W. Moana Lane, Reno
775-825-0602 X 134
NV Lic. #3379 A, D, E
CA Lic. #317448
Fall is also for mulching, amending & decorating Beautiful landscape containers during the day, a visual light show at night. Buy an inexpensive garden container with a shape you really like; paint it with primer and at least two coats of a glow in the dark paint (like Rust-Oleum). During the day, the paint will absorb the sunlight and at night the pots will glow for several hours. Halloween?
Save the Date:
Thursday, November 3th
9 AM to 8 PM
Moana's Holiday Preview Open House
On the heels of Halloween, its Christmas.
Timely, Local High Desert Tips ... Now is the Time To ...
- Plant trees, shrubs, perennials and spring flowering bulbs - fall is the best time to plant! Be sure to plant with SuperThrive, Dr. Earth Starter Fertilizer, and G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner (SBC) according to our planting guide for success.
- Mulch, mulch, mulch! The best thing you can do to prepare and protect your trees and shrubs for winter is to mulch them with a 2 -3" layer of G&B Organics SBC or walk-on bark. Be sure to water them thoroughly and regularly until the ground freezes if there is no natural precipitation.
- Refresh flower beds and containers with cool-season favorites such as pansies, violas, dusty miller, ornamental cabbage & kale, chrysanthemums, sedums, ornamental grasses, fall blooming asters, coral bells, autumn fern, dwarf hollies, junipers and spruce.
- Plant spring blooming bulbs later this month or up until the ground freezes. For best results, plant with Dr. Earth Bulb Food or Dr. Earth Bone Meal and mulch with SBC.
- Continue watering all trees, shrubs, perennials and lawns regularly until the ground freezes, gradually reducing the amount of water provided and lengthening the time between watering. Please keep in mind that we are in a serious drought. We have some great tips on our website. Efficient Watering is just one of our High Desert Fact Sheets which can help you save water and give your plants all the water they need.
Moana Nursery Rewards Program Members Only
(10/1 thru 10/15/15) ...
Special Offer ... 15% Savings on all Halloween and Fall Gift & Decor (ex. plants & pumpkins)
Limited to stock on hand. Discounts on regular retail price.
From the Florist at Moana
Celebrate fall with a Harvest Rose Bouquet for $55.00 or a Spooky Halloween arrangement; this one includes a wearable spider!
We can do it all; give us a call -- 825-0671.
Bree's Plant of the Month:
These long-lived plants burst with beautiful foliage year after year and tolerate just about any soil type. With star-shaped flowers ranging in color from red, pink & purple to white, they bring delightful color to the garden in late summer and autumn. Use as a border, in a wildflower or rock garden. They attract butterflies, too!
Matt's Tree of the Month:
Narrow when young and becoming oval with age, 'Karpick' maple is an excellent choice to use in smaller spaces. It works well as a street tree or anywhere a dense upright shade tree is desired. This maple features outstanding yellow to red fall color and is extremely cold-hardy.
Red Hots ...
25% Savings on ALL Shrubs & Perennials
50% Savings on All Dr. Earth Products (Yes, all of them!)
Water-wise Home Improvement Specials:
#15 'Red Sunset' Maple
(reg. $132) ... $69
Carmel's October High Desert Bird of the Month: Mountain Chickadee Scientific name: Poecile gambeli
How to identify: Like all chickadees, the Mountain Chickadee has striking black-and-white markings on the head and gray elsewhere. The white stripe over the eye identifies Mountain Chickadees from all other chickadees. They are tiny, large-headed birds with small bills, with a long, narrow tail and full, rounded wings.
Habitat: The Mountain Chickadee is found in the dry, mountainous forests of the West. The similar Black-capped Chickadee often occurs along streams and in broad-leaved trees, while Mountain Chickadees stick to the evergreens on higher slopes.
Lots more on mountain chickadees plus the rest of Carmel's informative articles & local birds at www.reno.wbu.com
. Sign up there for our monthly Wild Birds Unlimited Newsletter and more.
|Bree's October Gardening Tips |
- Planting bulbs is as easy as Dig, Drop, Done and will pay huge dividends in the spring when their glorious flowers appear long before anything else starts to emerge in our landscape. As soon as the soil temperature drops below 60°F, plant tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, dwarf irises, anemone, and crocus with Dr. Earth Bulb Food and mulch with G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner (SBC).
- Add fall color to your landscape that will carry into winter with pansies, ornamental kale & cabbage and mums.
- After you have finished harvesting your summer vegetables, plant a cover crop of clovers, cow peas, soybeans, or vetch for the purpose of plowing under next spring. These nitrogen producing plants will provide good organic matter and food for your garden crops next year, as well as controlling weeds over the winter.
|Karma's Featured Products for October |
- Concern Weed Prevention Plus, 100% natural corn gluten pre-emergent herbicide, controls common lawn and garden weeds. Ideal for use around bird feeders, vegetables, flowers, bulbs, trees, shrubs & on lawns.
- Yard Butler Core Aerator has two self-ejecting tips that remove 1/2 inch diameter and 3 1/2 inch long plugs from turf to promote vigorous root growth in lawns by reducing thatch and compaction.
- Dr. Earth Lawn Fertilizer is a true pelletized and homogenous organic all-purpose lawn fertilizer that produces remarkable results, because nutrients are released quickly, yet continue to feed for several months, promoting a hardy root system.
Seasonal Color for Homes & Businesses
- Unique Custom Containers for your property, artfully designed by our Seasonal Color Specialist, Leslie Richardson. Service includes on-site evaluation & installation. Call today 825-0602 x 134 for free estimate.
Commercial, Residential & Custom Resort Projects
Featured Installation: Whitney Peak Lobby: Low light levels precluded live plants - artificial white birch trees and realistic faux orchid plants were the solution!
We provide three interior plant service programs - - you can buy, rent or lease. For a free consultation with Vicky Ross, interior plant design & maintenance manager, call 825-0602 x 134.
Upcoming Seminars and Events:
October 3: Renown Children's Hospital Pink Pumpkin Fall Festival at The Summit. 9 am to 2 pm. Free
Live entertainment, Moana Nursery's Pink Pumpkin Patch, farmers market, kids' activities, gift card giveaways and more. Event benefits the Renown Health Breast Cancer Patient Assistance Fund. For more information, visit thesummitonline.com/reno. All seminars are free and held at Moana Nursery, 1190 W. Moana Lane, in our Landscape and Design Center unless otherwise stated. Seminars begin promptly at 10 a.m. and last one hour unless otherwise noted. Please arrive 15 minutes early as seating is limited to 60 and is first come, first served. Visit www.moananursery.com or call (775) 825-0602 for more information.
October 3rd: Scary Halloween Garden Workshop for Kids (ages 5 - 12)
Join Miss Gigi, award-winning designer with 30 years' experience as a workshop leader for this fun, hands-on workshop to learn the basics & magic of miniature gardening and create your very own spooky garden to take home.
Workshop cost of $16 covers all materials. All kids must be accompanied by an adult. Sign up and pay in advance at our Moana Lane store or you can call 825-0600 to register with your credit card. (No shows will not be refunded their money.) Class size is limited to 20 children. Registration closes Thursday, October 1 or when full, whichever comes first. Workshop is held at the Moana Lane store.
October 10: Bulbs for Spring Color . . . Don't experience gardening regret next spring!
Fall planted bubs are a delightful source of spring color, but you do have to plan & plant ahead of time. Now is the season to select from the best of bulbs for our high desert gardens and get them in the ground. Join Lisa Braginton for planting, design tips and care. Planting bulbs is fast, easy and nearly foolproof. And what a treat to see your bulbs pop up I the spring before trees and shrubs start blooming!
October 17: Winterizing Roses, Shrubs & Trees and Putting your Yard to Bed
. . . if you're a new to Nevada gardener, this is for you!
Jon Bruyn, Moana plant doctor, certified arborist and high desert gardener, will present expert tips and techniques for preparing your roses, flowering shrubs, trees for the winter. Included in the presentation are: NOT pruning before winter, minimizing damage, watering routines and winter mulching. This is one of our most popular seminars, so be sure to arrive a bit early.
October 24: Composting 101- Turn your Garden & Kitchen Waste into Black Gold
Join Moana plant doctor, horticulturist and long-time high desert gardener Steve Packer to learn the basics of composting: what to compost - from yard waste to kitchen scraps; the steps and recipe for turning them into a rich soil amendment for your garden: the numerous kinds of composters available along with their benefits. Steve will share his own tips for successful composting.
October 31: Nevada Day weekend - no seminar
Water Saving Lawn Hint ... Keep your grass longer this fall and "step on it" to see if it springs back. If it does, you don't need more water.
Looking for ways to reduce your water usage by 10%?
Call 825-0602 x 134 to ask how we can tune up your irrigation system, or for more savings, ask about our Easy Turf ... truly superior artificial grass - - no watering.
Bulk Material Installation & Spreading
Need rock for your landscape project? We can deliver and spread! And check out our flagstone, Sunset Gold and Mesquite Charcoal, both in the ¾-1 ¼ size, perfect for walkways and patios. We are located right behind the Garden Center on South Virginia St. and are open 7 days a week. Call us at 775-853-1319 x 3.
Plan & Plant
Now is the perfect time to use our Plan & Plant resource to easily design and get expert assistance for those dreams and changes you have for your yard. Take a look and see if it inspires you ... we all can be "landscape designers" with these simple tools.