Moana Lane Garden Center
The Florist, Greenhouse &
1100 W. Moana Lane, Reno
S. Virginia St. Garden Center
Outdoor Living, Tree Land & Moana Rock
11301 S. Virginia St., Reno
Pyramid Hwy. Garden Center Spanish Springs Nursery
7655 Pyramid Hwy., Sparks
Monday - Saturday: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
At all three locations including all 3 Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops, Tree Land & Moana Rock.
The Florist at Moana Lane is closed Sunday (except Mother's Day & Easter Sunday) but great arrangements are available in the cooler and orders taken by nursery teammates.
Landscape & Design Center
Water-Wise Irrigation, Hardscapes, Maintenance & Water Features
1190 W. Moana Lane, Reno
775-825-0602 X 134
NV Lic. #3379 A, D
CA Lic. #317448
Thanksgiving, Black Friday and our own Shop Small & Local Saturday (Nov. 25th) signal the start of the Holiday Season ...
More importantly, have a joyous end to the year and a safe & healthy time of celebration with family and friends!
We're closed Thanksgiving and on Sunday, Nov. 12th for our team.
See our newest "expert tips" video ... How To Successfully Plant A High Desert Tree.
Click "plant doctor" Lisa to view.
Timely, Local High Desert Tips
Now is the time to ...
A primary cause of so many dead trees in our area this year has been the lack of consistent winter watering over the past several years (though this past winter was a welcome exception). Without, it, trees become stressed and susceptible to disease and insects and then they die.
Plants in the ground, especially newly planted trees, shrubs and perennials, need the equivalent of one inch of precipitation per month. Plants in containers need more since they dry out faster. If natural winter precipitation does not arrive, this will be necessary throughout the winter for ALL plants. Visit this helpful link on high desert winter watering to read our fact sheet titled IF-13 Winter Watering.
- Turn irrigation systems off only when sustained freezing nights with no warm-up are predicted and drain the valves. Water as long into the winter as you safely can if there is no natural precipitation.
- Visit http://www.moananursery.com/helpful-high-desert-videos/irrigation-on-off-video.html for simple video or written diagram providing winterizing instructions.
- Disconnect hoses, drain and store in garage.
- Perennial beds should be cleaned up this time of year, but some foliage should be left to protect the crown, even in those plants that are not being used for winter interest.
- Plant & transplant trees, shrubs & perennials and apply 2 to 4 inches of G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner (SBC) around the base of the plants to protect their root zones, being careful to keep it 4 inches away from their trunks & stems.
- Continue to water newly planted trees and shrubs, especially evergreens, until ground freezes.
- Plant spring flowering bulbs now. As the first signs of spring, they attract pollinators, add fragrance & many keep deer at bay. Be sure to plant with Gardner & Bloome Bone Meal or G&B Organics Bud & Bloom and mulch with G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner for best results. It's as easy as Dig, Drop, Done for years of spring color!
- Use Bonide Molemax to repel burrowing rodents and Plantskydd to protect perennials from deer, squirrels & rabbits.
Rewards Member Only November Special:
15% Savings on Naturally Nuts No Melt Stackables
Trees: Baby Blue Spruce, Dwarf Alberta Spruce - Living Christmas trees.
Shrubs: 'Little Princess' Spiraea, Yellowtwig Dogwood.
Houseplants: 'Starfish' Sansevieria, 'Clusia' Bush, 'Zygo' Cactus.
Christmas Flowering Bulbs: 'Ziva' Paperwhites, 'Moon Scene' , 'Double Pasadena' & 'Black Pearl' Amaryllis, Amaryllis and Paperwhite Gift Box Sets.
|Double Pasadena Amaryllis|
Melody's Harvest & Thanksgiving Décor
As the days shorten and the nights cool, it's time to start thinking about fall and Thanksgiving decor. We have squirrels, pumpkins and a flock of beautiful turkeys to help you create a feast for the eyes. Visit soon for harvest season inspiration!
Carmel's Cast of Featured Seed Characters for the Birds!
Just in time for the holidays!
Olive and Screech the Owls, Dash the Gingerbread Man, Christmas Seed wreaths and large seed covered pine cones for decorating!
Debbie's High Desert Shrub of the Month:
'Baileyi' Redtwig Dogwood
With reddish stems that turn bright red in the winter it is particularly showy against a snowy backdrop. This shrub is tolerant of a wide range of soils and attracts birds and butterflies.
Bree's Plant of the Month: Houseplants
Houseplants are a great way to still get your gardening fix once your garden has been put to bed for winter. Blooming plants like Kalanchoe and African Violets bring color and cheer indoors during dreary winter months.
| |Carmel's November High Desert Bird of the Month: Great Horned Owl
Scientific name: Bubo virginianus
The great horned owl, also known as the tiger owl or the hoot owl, is a large owl native to the Americas. It is an extremely adaptable bird with a vast range and is the most widely distributed true owl in the Americas. Its primary diet includes rabbits and hares, rats and mice and voles, although it freely hunts any animal it can overtake, including rodents and other small mammals, larger mid-sized mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and invertebrates.
Typically great horned owls stand 18 to 25 inches tall with a wingspan of 36 to 60 inches and weigh anywhere between 2 to 4 pounds. They can live to 30 years in captivity, though in the wild the average is 10 to 15 years. In general, they have brown body plumage with white throat feathers and their belly and breast have dark horizontal bars. As the name implies these owls have large "horned" ear tufts that are set far apart on the head. Their facial disk may range from gray to an orange-tan with large yellow eyes with black pupils.
Click here to read the rest of Carmel's informative articles and more on local birds at www.reno.wbu.com.
Sign up there for our monthly Wild Birds Unlimited newsletter.
|Carmel's Featured Product for Jays and Squirrels
Enjoy feeding Jays and Squirrels? Now we carry whole peanuts in 25# bags! With the temperatures cooling off many birds and mammals are caching nuts away for the winter. Why not help them out and have some fun feeding with some whole peanuts?
Bree's Timely Planting Tips
50th Anniversary Specials - - November, 2017
50% Savings on All Shrubs, Perennials, Vines and Roses
Cannot be combined with other discounts or offers. Limited to full-priced stock on hand.
More Anniversary Specials ...
50% Savings* on One of Each of the Following Five Specials:
- One package of Spring Blooming Bulbs, Garlic, Onions or Shallots (reg. 3.99-16.99)
- #15 'Autumn Blaze' Maple (reg. 134)
- Large Finch Sock - ready to fill (reg.11.99)
- INGuage Soil Moisture Tester (reg. 5.99)
- Mason Jar Vase (reg. 10.99)
Applies to full priced merchandise in stock.
Cannot be combined with other discounts or offers.
75% Savings on All Pumpkins & Gourds
Offer ends November 30, 2017.
High Desert Landscape Specials**
20% Savings on each in November, 2017.
- #15 'Red Sunset' Maple (reg. 134)
- #15 Autumn Purple Ash (reg. 116)
- 3 cu.ft. G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner (reg. 14.99)
**Applies to full-priced Moana-grown trees & shrubs in stock.
Wild Birds Unlimited
Freshest Bird Seed in Town
Red Hot Prices November 2017
- 20# New Supreme Blend reg. 24.99 / sale 22.99
- 20# No Mess Plus reg. 49.99 / sale 46.99
Moana Nursery's High Desert Gardener Services for Residential & Business
Our Potting Shed at the Moana Lane location is open; please inquire about drop-off container services at our Moana Lane Store or the Landscape Design Center -- 825-0602 x134.
Other services include:
- Plant Based Garden Design, Installation and Maintenance
- Specialty Gardens
- Annual Bedding Color
- Custom On-Site Exterior Container Plantings
- Potting Shed Drop-Off Container and Event Services
- Seasonal and Holiday Decorating
For information or estimates on our other services, call 825-0602 x134.
We provide three interior plant service programs - - you can buy, rent or lease. For a free consultation with Vicky Ross, interior plant design & maintenance manager, call 825-0602 x 134.
Interior Plant Services:
Commercial, Residential and Custom Resort Projects
Stop by our Moana Lane or Pyramid Highway locations to pick out the perfect cut Christmas tree and support your local Boy Scouts.
- When choosing a Christmas tree, select one with firm needles that don't drop off when the tree is raised up a few inches and dropped to the ground.
- The bottom of the stump should be moist with some sap present. Cut two inches of the stump and immediately plunge tree into a bucket of warm water with SUPERthrive added.
Make sure the stand is full of water each day. If left without water, the tree will form a seal which prevents it from taking up any water. Add SUPERthrive to every watering.
All proceeds go to local Boy Scout troops. Begins Friday, November 24th.
Salvation Army - make a donation to the red kettle located near the cash register to help those in need.
Visit any time to get expert gardening information ...
- High Desert Fact Sheets
- Bi-weekly Timely Tips
- Helpful High Desert Videos
- Monthly Newsletters
- Weekly Specials
- High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- And much more ...
An Updated, Local Tool For You ... Moana Nursery's Exclusive High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- Search and explore plants that thrive in our unique climate and region.
- Build wish lists, learn about plant characteristics and find the perfect plants for you and your home.
- Bring your wish list to your favorite Moana Nursery location and our expert staff will help with your choices.
- Upgraded to be even better in 2017.
Seminars return in February. Go to our website or viist our staff ( 3 stores) for high desert answers.