Better Plants. Better Advice. Better Results.
Contact Information: Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Moana Lane Garden Center
The Florist, Greenhouse &
1100 W. Moana Lane, Reno
S. Virginia St. Garden Center
Outdoor Living, Tree Land & Moana Rock
11301 S. Virginia St., Reno
Pyramid Hwy. Garden Center
Spanish Springs Nursery
7655 Pyramid Hwy., Sparks
Store Hours (dark at 5 p.m., outside plant shopping limited)
Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
At All three locations Including all 3 Wild Birds Unlimited
TreeLand & Moana Rock. The Florist at Moana Lane is closed Sunday but great arrangements available in the cooler and orders taken by nursery teammates.
Landscape & Design Center
Water-Wise Irrigation, Hardscapes, Maintenance & Water Features
1190 W. Moana Lane, Reno
775-825-0602 X 134
NV Lic. #3379 A, D, E
CA Lic. #317448
Timely, Local High Desert Tips ...
Now is the Time To ...
- Plant spring flowering bulbs now. As the first signs of spring, they attract pollinators, add fragrance & many keep deer at bay. Be sure to plant with FoxFarm's Happy Frog Bulb Food and mulch with G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner (SBC).
- Plant & transplant trees, shrubs & perennials.
- Mulch, Mulch, Mulch and amend your soil with G&B Organics SBC. Add 3-4 inches to garden beds once the ground has frozen.
- Cut to the ground all remaining dried perennial material not intended for winter interest; add to compost pile except for diseased plants and peonies.
- Use Bonide Molemax to repel burrowing rodents and Plantskydd to protect perennials from deer, squirrels & rabbits.
- Turn irrigation systems off only when sustained freezing nights with no warm-up are on the horizon. Water as long into the winter as you safely can if there is no natural precipitation.
A primary cause of so many dead trees in our area this year is the lack of consistent winter watering over the past several years. Without, it, trees become stressed and susceptible to disease and insects and then they die.
Plants in the ground, especially newly planted trees, shrubs and perennials, need the equivalent of one inch of precipitation per month.
Plants in containers need more since they dry out faster. If natural precipitation does not arrive, this will be necessary throughout the winter for ALL plants. Visit
this helpful link on high desert winter watering
to read our fact sheet titled Winter Watering.
Moana Nursery Rewards Program Members Only
(11/2 thru 11/15/15) ...
Special Offer ... 15% Savings on G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner
For Amending & Mulching!
From the Florist at Moana Nursery
Embrace Nature's Beauty of Living Art . . . captured in our elegant Thanksgiving centerpieces. Order early to ensure the best selection -- 775-825-0671.
Deck the Halls. . .
- Hand painted, mouth-blown Polish ornaments themed according to hobbies & professions such as baking, sports, gardening, fishing and more.
- Heirloom German Smokers & Nutcrackers, handmade in the tiny village of Olbernhau in the Erzgebirge, a remote mountainous region in Germany, well-known for traditional wooden craftsmanship.
- Lighted vintage churches, Christmas wall art and topiary trees.
- Commercial quality wreaths, garland & urn fillers lit with battery-operated warm white LED lights & timers
Bree's Perennial of the Month:
Known for its striking purple flowers and strong soothing fragrance, lavender is a must for any garden, landscape or even containers. Recognized for its ability to stand heat and drought, lavender is a major attraction for butterflies and bees. Use as a hedge, border, accent, field or herb garden; it never disappoints.
Matt's Shrub of the Month:
'Flame' Amur Maple
This maple forms a large shrub or small tree and is known for outstanding red fall color. It is extremely cold-hardy, tolerant of most soil types and very water-wise. Use as a hedge for screening or as a focal point planted with evergreens where its graceful habit and fiery autumn foliage can be appreciated.
Moana Nursery Christmas Preview Open House
Thursday, November 5
9 am to 8 pm
1100 W. Moana Lane
Bring a friend or two and join us for holiday cheer and inspired Christmas shopping as we kick off our Holiday Pet Giving Tree partnership with the Nevada Humane Society.
Preview our unique gifts and holiday decorations - one of kind, locally handcrafted birdhouses, mouth-blown glass Polish ornaments, heirloom German smokers & nutcrackers, lighted vintage churches, Christmas wall art & topiary trees and much more.
Gigi's 15 Minute DIY Floral Demos
10:30 AM 1:30 PM Wreath Decorating
11:00 AM 2:00 PM Fall/Winter Containers
11:30 AM 2:30 PM Succulent Centerpiece
12:00 PM 3:00 PM Partridge in a Pear Boxwood Tree
Bree's Easy & Elegant Alternatives to the tried (but tired?) & true Poinsettia
11:30 AM - 7:30 PM in the Greenhouse
Cider, snacks & gourmet food tastings available throughout the day.
Wine & light appetizers catered by Fernando's Creative Food served from 4 - 8 pm.
Nevada Humane Society pets will be onsite for adoption from 11:00 am to 2 pm.
Pet gifts and cash donations will be collected through December 23rd at all three Moana locations.
Art by Reno's Latimer Art Club Members will be on display and for sale.
Drawing for 3 unique gift baskets created by talented Moana teammates.
Exclusive Open House Savings for Moana Nursery Rewards Members
Birch Pole Holiday and Winter Designs
Moana Nursery's signature design from Landscape Service's Container Specialist Leslie Richardson and her team.
Looking for an exterior holiday statement for your entry, an interior design piece or a few poles for the DIY? We have a fresh supply of natural birch & designs for the holidays. Contact Landscape Services at 775-825-0602x134 for details and/or an estimate.
Get Ready for Wintertime Bird Feeding!
Wild Birds Unlimited 20# Bag
- 11/2 to 11/15/2015
Deluxe $4 savings = $19.99
No Mess DP $4 savings = $35.99
Dove & Quail $3 savings = $16.99
No Mess Plus $3 savings = $45.99
Finch $2 savings = $40.99
Nyjer $2 savings = $50.99
Safflower $2 savings = $25.99
Sunflower Chips $2 savings = $39.99
Limited to stock on hand.
Red Hots ...
50% Savings on All Dr. Earth Products
(Yes, all of them!)
Carmel's October High Desert Bird of the Month: Barn Owl
How to identify:
These medium-sized owls have long, rounded wings and short tails, which combine with a buoyant, loping flight to give them a distinctive flight style. The legs are long and the head is smoothly rounded, without ear tufts. Barn Owls are pale overall with dark eyes. They have a mix of buff and gray on the head, back, and upperwings, and are white on the face, body, and underwings. When seen at night they can appear all white.
Barn Owls require large areas of open land over which to hunt. This can either be marsh, grasslands, or mixed agricultural fields. For nesting and roosting, they prefer quiet cavities, either in trees or man-made structures such as barns or silos.
Where to find one: Barn Owls nest and roost in cavities, abandoned barns and other buildings, and dense trees. At night, Barn Owls hunt by flying low, back and forth over open habitats, searching for small rodents primarily by sound.
Lots more on Barn Owls plus the rest of Carmel's informative articles & local birds at
. Sign up there for our monthly Wild Birds Unlimited Newsletter and more.
| Bree's November Gardening Tips
Put your garden to bed with a blanket - 3-4" of organic mulch like G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner. Organic mulch will help retain moisture in our cold, dry winters and protect the roots of your plants. As the weather warms, check on your mulched garden plants, uncover the crowns of the perennials, but keep the roots protected. In mid-February or as mid-spring conditions allow, add more mulch to help keep weeds away, retain moisture, feed the soil and give your garden beds a manicured look that shows off your spring garden.
|Karma's Featured Products for November
- Perfect Packsaddle Pellets have arrived - $6.99/40lb bag - while supplies last. These clean burning, natural high quality wood pellets with no chemical additives produce very little ash. Gabe from Reno says, "After using them for the past two years, I've noticed that they burn longer while creating significantly less ash than other brands I've used."
- FoxFarm's Happy Frog® Bulb Food (3-8-8), granulated & easy to use, it provides gentle, slow-release feedings.
- G&B Organics Lawn Fertilizer (8-1-1), contains beneficial soil microbes plus mycorrhizae to help reduce thatch, develop deep roots and add important nutrients to your lawn. Apply this fall for faster green up next spring.
Seminars will resume in January, 2016