Better Plants. Better Advice. Better Results.
Contact Information: Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Moana Lane Garden Center
The Florist, Greenhouse &
1100 W. Moana Lane, Reno
S. Virginia St. Garden Center
Outdoor Living, Tree Land & Moana Rock
11301 S. Virginia St., Reno
Pyramid Hwy. Garden Center
Spanish Springs Nursery
7655 Pyramid Hwy., Sparks
Store Hours (dark at 5 p.m., outside plant shopping limited)
Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
At All three locations Including all 3 Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops, TreeLand & Moana Rock. The Florist at Moana Lane is closed Sunday but great arrangements available in the cooler and orders taken by nursery teammates.
Landscape & Design Center
Water-Wise Irrigation, Hardscapes, Maintenance & Water Features
1190 W. Moana Lane, Reno
775-825-0602 X 134
NV Lic. #3379 A, D, E
CA Lic. #317448
Decorated for Christmas & the Holidays!
Timely, Local High Desert Tips ... Now is the Time To ...
- To protect the bark of young trees and older trees that may be susceptible to winter sun-scald & frost damage to the south and southwest sides of their bark, wrap trunks in the coldest months of the year. Use Dalen Protective Tree Wrap from a few inches above the ground to just below the lowest limbs. From late December - mid-March, this will help prevent damage from extreme cold and temperature fluctuations.
- For the birds
- Put out a heated bird bath to ensure a steady supply of water for backyard birds; still need to bathe even in winter to keep their feathers conditioned for insulation and flight.
- Offer compressed seed cakes and cylinders to give birds a steady supply of food even in the worst weather and when you go on vacation.
- When choosing a live cut Christmas tree, select one with needles that don't drop off when the tree is raised a few inches and dropped to the ground. The bottom of the stump should be moist with some sap present. Cut two inches off the stump and immediately plunge tree into a bucket of warm water & add SuperThrive to bucket and every watering. Click here for Moana's Fresh Cut Christmas Tree Care Sheet.
- Recycle your Christmas tree at one of Keep Truckee Meadows Beautiful locations: Bartley Ranch Regional Park, Rancho San Rafael Regional Park & Shadow Mountain Sports Complex in Sparks or Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District fire stations in Cold Springs, Washoe Valley, Spanish Springs, Silver Knolls and Lemmon Valley. Hours: 9 am - 4:30 pm, December 26 - January 10. A $3 minimum donation is recommended.
- Keep your holidays merry, bright and SAFE for everyone by keeping in mind Pet Safety Tips for toxic plants, holiday decorations and more. Click here for tips.
Remember: A primary cause of so many dead trees in our area this year is the lack of consistent winter watering over the past several years. Without, it, trees become stressed and susceptible to disease and insects and then they die. So far, so good with winter moisture from Mother Nature but that can change.
Plants in the ground, especially newly planted trees, shrubs and perennials, need the equivalent of one inch of precipitation per month. Plants in containers need more since they dry out faster. Visit this helpful link on high desert winter watering to read our fact sheet titled Winter Watering.
Moana Nursery Rewards Program Members Only
(December 1st thru 30th) ...
Special Holiday Offer... 15% Savings on any ONE full priced retail item*!
*Excludes sale items, gift cards, Packsaddle Pellets, Teleflora, rock, labor & services
One per household on each shopping visit.
From the Florist at Moana
Celebrate December with a beautiful "winter's dozen" of white roses, a cool, frosted all white floral arrangement, or go trendy with an organic arrangement of protea and grasses. One call and we can deliver it all - (775) 825-0671!
Great Gift Ideas
- Nothing says "holiday" quite like the clean, crisp scent of Thymes' Frasier Fir candles and diffusers. This luxurious fragrance is inspired by the soft blend of Siberian Fir, Cedarwood and Sandalwood. For a soothing aroma that will surely warm your heart and soul during the holidays, come in and see our wide selection of this timeless fragrance.
- Hand-hooked pillows made of 100% wool by skilled artisans. Each is designed to brighten your holidays with whimsical patterns and inspirational words. Two Lake Tahoe pillows, custom designed for our region, are new this year.
- Heirloom Nutcrackers and Smokers handcrafted in Germany.
Bree's Plant of the Month:
Perfect for a gift or a nice addition to any holiday décor, poinsettias offer a festive splash of holiday colors -- reds, pinks, white, and marbling. They require bright light away from heating vents, fireplaces and drafty windows & doors. Maintain even moisture; plants will wilt dramatically if allowed to dry out. Avoid getting water on the leaves. Click here for Poinsettia Care Sheet.
Matt's High Desert Tree of the Month:
Black Hills Spruce
Very desirable evergreen that grows slowly to form a symmetrical cone of dense blue-green needles. Use this very hardy, low maintenance tree as a focal point in the landscape or grouped to form a screen. Black Hills spruce is a great choice for use as a living Christmas tree too.
Carmel's December High Desert Bird of the Month:
Scientific name: Calypte anna
How to identify:
Tiny among birds, Anna's are medium-sized and stocky for a hummingbird. They have a straight, shortish bill and a fairly broad tail. When perched, wingtips meet the tip of their short tail. Anna's Hummingbirds are mostly green and gray, without any rufous or orange marks on the body. The male's head and throat are covered in iridescent reddish-pink feathers that can look dull brown or gray without direct sunlight.
Feeding Hummingbirds during Winter Cold
Recently there have been a number of sightings in the Reno/Sparks areas of Anna's hummingbirds that seemed to have "missed" the migration call. Being that some of these tiny birds might have decided to tough it out this winter with us, we are sharing some ways people can assist with this effort. If you do choose to feed hummingbirds during the wintertime, please do it responsibly. A hummingbird searches far and wide and selects a feeding territory based on the available food supplies it finds. Your feeder will be an important part of its feeding territory. If the feeder runs empty or freezes up, there might not be sufficient food elsewhere in their territory to enable the bird to survive. Keep it filled with fresh nectar and thawed out all winter.
Click here to read the rest of Carmel's informative articles and more on local birds at www.reno.wbu.com.
Sign up there for our monthly Wild Birds Unlimited newsletter.
Moana Nursery proudly supports these local non-profits year round and especially in December:
Nevada Humane Society Giving Trees and cash donation jars - take an ornament off our NHS tree and bring an item or two listed on it back to Moana Nursery.
Salvation Army - make a donation to the red kettle located near the cash register to help those in need.
Stop by our Moana Lane or Pyramid Highway locations to pick out the perfect Christmas tree and support your local Boy Scout troops.
Red Hots ...
30%Savings on All Fountains*- - indoors or outdoors. (
*full priced & in-stock)
60% Savings on Spring-Blooming Bulbs
Excludes paperwhites & amaryllis
Birch Pole Holiday and Winter Designs
Moana Nursery's signature design from Landscape Service's Container Specialist Leslie Richardson and her team.
Looking for an exterior holiday statement for your entry, an interior design piece or a few poles for the DIY? We have a fresh supply of natural birch & designs for the holidays. Contact Landscape Services at 775-825-0602x134 for details and/or an estimate.
Seminars will resume in January, 2016