Moana Lane Garden Center
The Florist, Greenhouse & Gift Shop
1100 W. Moana Lane, Reno
S. Virginia St. Garden Center
Tree Land & Moana Rock
11301 S. Virginia St., Reno
New Sparks Location
Pyramid Way Garden Center Sparks Nursery & Greenhouse
3397 Pyramid Way, Sparks
Monday - Saturday:
8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
At all three locations including all 3 Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops, Tree Land & Moana Rock.
The Florist at Moana Lane is closed Sunday (except before Valentine's Day, Mother's Day & Easter Sunday) but great arrangements are available in the cooler and orders taken by nursery teammates.
Landscape & Design Center
Water-Wise Irrigation, Hardscapes, Maintenance & Water Features
1190 W. Moana Lane, Reno
775-825-0602 X 134
NV Lic. #3379 A, D
CA Lic. #317448
|Growing Cold Hardy, High Desert Trees, Shrubs & Perennials. Spring looks quite different!|
|The trees are happy to see spring come, too!||
Mother's Day May 13th!
Timely, Local High Desert Tips
Now is the time to ...
- Turn your irrigation system on now and increase watering times as temperatures rise. Check frequently for clogged and broken sprinkler heads and punctured or leaking drip lines.
- Water at optimum time - when winds are calm and temperatures are cool and only when needed -- saturate root zones and let the soil dry.
- Feed perennials, shrubs & trees if you have not done so this year.
- Now's the time to put out oranges and grape jelly for orioles and Wild Birds Unlimited Hummingbird & Oriole Nectar for both hummingbirds and orioles. Be sure to change the nectar every few days so it doesn't spoil.
- Prune spring-flowering shrubs (forsythia, lilacs, quince, almond, viburnum, magnolias, rhododendrons, azaleas) immediately after they bloom.
- Begin to regularly pinch back fall-blooming perennials - mums, asters & tall sedums; pinch weekly until mid-July to promote stocky growth.
- Deadhead (remove blooms) spring bulbs once they've finished flowering, but allow foliage to wither completely before removing.
- Stake peonies to support blooms when they reach 10" in height.
- Move dwarf citrus trees (Lemon, Lime, Orange, Grapefruit & Kumquat) outside when night time temperatures remain above 45 degrees. Click here Care Sheet:
Rewards Member Only May 2018 Special:
15% Savings on All Perennial Groundcovers!
New Arrivals for high desert success:
Fruit Tree: Miniature 'Pix Zee' Peach.
Vine: 'Aunt Dee' Wisteria.
Grass: 'Gold Bar' Maiden Grass.
Shrub: 'Gulfstream' Nandina.
Annuals - plant every year: Sun and Shade Hanging Baskets, Patio Color Bowls, 'Night Sky' & 'Pink Sky' Petunias, 'Juliet Orange' Diascia, 'Breathless White' Euphorbia, 'Bluebird' Nemesia, 'Lipstick' Salvia.
Perennials -plant once & enjoy year after year: 'Cherry Brandy' Gaura, California Fuchsia, 'Pink Grapefruit' Achillea, 'Cappuccino' Astilbe, 'Orange Skipper' Echinacea.
Veggies - 'Chioggia' Beet, 'Tango' Celery, 'Avon' Spinach.
Herbs - 'Florence' Fennel, Lovage, 'Marjoram' Italian Oregano.
|Sun & Shade Hanging Baskets|
|Breathless White Euphorbia|
Handcrafted Local Bird Houses by Enzo Generali.
Beautiful and artfully constructed bird houses that are one-of-a-kind. These unique houses make great gifts, specialty décor items or functional additions to a backyard space. Available at all three locations.
May Only ...
Our most popular high desert perennial ...
Moana-grown #1 Stella d'Oro Daylily ...
Reg. 9.99 ... Now 4.99
Cannot be combined with other discounts.
See all May Savings Here.
Introducing Moana-grown "Best Value" Perennials ...
- #1 'Arizona Sun' Gaillardia 9.99
- #1 'May Night' Salvia 9.99
- #1 Sweet Woodruff 9.99
- #1 'Creeping Red' Thyme 9.99
|Creeping Red Thyme|
Debbie's High Desert Shrub of the Month:
This dwarf shrub puts on a show of bright yellow blooms on numerous green arching branches. Semi-evergreen, grows to 1-2' X 3-4'. It's easy to grow, drought tolerant, once established; great for banks & rock gardens. Prune after flowering is done if needed.
Carmel's May High Desert Bird of the Month:
Scientific name: Archilochus alexandri
Black-chinned hummingbirds are beginning to arrive in the area. They are named for the dark chin and throat of the male. When the light hits just right, the male shows a band of iridescent purple below the chin. Black-chinned is the only hummingbird to nest in our area, with the exception of Calliope hummingbird in nearby mountains.
As with many hummingbird species, the female Black-chinned is dull metallic green on the back and flanks and grayish-white below. It is really difficult to pin down a female identification to a particular species as most female hummingbirds look very similar.
During courtship the male performs a "pendulum" display, flying back and forth in a wide "U" pattern, and makes whirring sounds on each dive. It is quite impressive to witness. The Black-chinned male may mate with more than one female, then he goes merrily on his way while the female builds a nest and has full responsibility for feeding the nestlings.
Click here to read the rest of Carmel's informative articles and more on local birds at www.reno.wbu.com
Sign up there for our monthly Wild Birds Unlimited newsletter.
Moana Rock ... The Landscape Rock Superstore!
Specialized "Slinger Truck" Services ...
for fast and efficient spreading of many materials like crushed rock, gravel, road base, etc.
- Parking areas.
- Construction and/or landscaping projects where large areas need to be covered.
- Areas requiring rock fill which are inaccessible by other equipment.
The Slinger Truck uses a system of conveyors to "sling" rock into place, allowing large areas to be covered quickly. The ability to extend the conveyor to "sling" rock up to 25 feet from the truck box allows reach into otherwise inaccessible areas.
For further information regarding the Slinger Truck rock spreading service, please call the Moana Rock Business Team Leader at: (775) 691-1220 to schedule or learn more.
Moana Rock is located directly behind our South Virginia St. Garden Center.
High Desert Moana-Grown
20% Savings on Each:
#15 'Autumn Blaze' Maple (reg. 152)
#15 'Autumn Purple' Ash (reg. 152)
#5 'Little Devil' Ninebark (reg. 37)
#3 'Gold Flame' Spiraea (reg. 34)
Freshest Bird Seed in Town
Red Hot Seed Special
21# Wild Bird Seed Block 24.99 reg / 21.99 sale
Buy 3 Get 1 for a Penny:
G&B Organics Harvest Supreme and/or G&B Organics Planting Mix
Any combination of G&B Organics Harvest Supreme 2 cu.ft. (reg. 14.99) and G&B Organics Planting Mix 2 cu.ft. (reg. 14.99)
Bree's Plant of the Month: Columbines (Aquilegia)
There is nothing else quite like their unique, dangling bell-like shape flowers. Because they come in an array of colors - blue, orange, pink, purple, yellow, red & white - these easy-to-grow perennials are highly sought after garden plants. They also seed themselves around the garden. They are also deer resistant, low maintenance and attract birds.
Bree's Timely Gardening Tips for April:
- Plant Dahlias, Gladiolas, Lilies, Cannas & other summer flowering bulbs this month.
- Plant Gladiola bulbs at 2 week intervals until the first of July to provide cut flowers until the first frost.
- Plant Delphiniums, Phlox, Daylilies, Carnations, Aubrietia, Candytuft, Basket of Gold, Primroses, Coral Bells, Saxifrage and other summer flowering perennials any time during May.
- Petunias, Geraniums, Fuchsias and Impatiens should be ready to plant by mid-month, depending on our nighttime temperatures.
- Plant peppers, tomatoes, beans, eggplant and other tender, warm season plants when danger of frost is over. Extend your growing season with Dalen Season Starters.
|Moana Nursery's High Desert Gardener Services for Residential & Business
For information or estimates on any of our services, call 825-0602 x134.
- Plant Based Garden Design, Installation and Maintenance
- Specialty Gardens
- Annual Bedding Color
- Custom On-Site Exterior Container Plantings
- Potting Shed Drop-Off Container and Event Services
- Seasonal and Holiday Decorating
Interior Plant Services:
Commercial, Residential and Custom Resort Projects
Visit our new Pyramid Way Greenhouse to see examples of green walls and more of Vicky's work featured in this photo.
We provide three interior plant service programs - - you can buy, rent or lease. For a free consultation with Vicky Ross, interior plant design & maintenance manager, call 825-0602 x 134.
May 5: Delta Kappa Gamma Society International Arts & Craft Fair ... 9 AM - 3 PM at Moana Nursery, 1100 W. Moana Lane.
Members will be selling candles, jewelry, artwork, scarves, lawn art, purses, backpacks and more. Proceeds help new teachers here at home get started and women educators worldwide advance their education via scholarships and grants.
May 12: Junk the Junipers - Two Locations ... 8 AM to 1 PM
May 19-20: High Desert Society Iris Show - - "Growing Up: Iris & Children's Classic Stories" at 1100 W. Moana Lane inside the Garden Center.
See below for details.
Upcoming May Seminars & Workshops:
May 5: Organic Vegetable Gardening Made Simple Join Rebekah Stetson, owner of Sunny Day Organic Farms, to learn tips and techniques for the basic steps of creating and tending an organic garden. From composting to living soil, seed starting to transplanting, season extending to pest management. You'll leave prepared to successfully garden organically. Rebekah has over 9 years' experience growing plants and animals organically, with success, in our arid high desert climate. Her delicious and sustainable ventures include Sunny Day Organic Farms and Labour of Love. www.labour-of-love.net
May 12: Mother's Day no seminar
May 19-20: High Desert Iris Society Show
Moana Nursery, 1100 W. Moana Lane - inside retail store
Saturday: 1- 6 PM: 10 AM - Noon Seminar - see below
Sunday: 9 AM - 4 PM
Public is welcome to enter 'named' iris between 8 - 9:30 am for show.
May 19: "Growing Up: Iris" 10 AM - Noon.
Presented by the High Desert Iris Society (HDIS), a Region 14 Affiliate of the American Iris Society. Drop in any time - open house style.
Door prizes, refreshments; vote on iris displays - Floral, Educational and Photographic!
Learn from High Desert Iris Society members as they present fast-paced topics for beginners and experts in context of "Growing Up: Iris." Joining a Garden Club like HDIS can help "grow up" our gardens.
Then visit the HDIS Annual judged iris flower show to see an amazing array of iris Saturday from 1 to 6 PM and Sunday, May 14 from 9 AM to 4 PM: Information: 762-9176.
May 19: Summer Container Workshop 2-3 PM at Moana Lane Garden Center
Join Moana Nursery Color Specialists Michelle Cartnick and Susan Freedman to learn the essentials of creating a living container plus design and planting tips you can apply anywhere in your garden. You'll leave with a 10" dia. /3 gallon container for sun or shade complete with spillers, fillers and thriller which can easily be popped into an urn or pot your already own.
Workshop cost is $50 and includes all the materials necessary. Must sign up and pay in advance at our Moana Lane store or you can call 825-0600 and register with your credit card. (No shows will be not be refunded their money.) Class size is limited to 20. Registration closes Thursday, May 17 or when full, whichever comes first. Bring your gloves or come early and purchase a pair.
May 26 - Memorial Day - no seminar
All seminars are free and held at Moana Nursery, 1190 W. Moana Lane, in our Landscape and Design Center unless otherwise stated. Seminars begin promptly at 10 a.m. and last one hour unless otherwise noted. Please arrive 15 minutes early as seating is limited to 60 and is first come, first served. Visit www.moananursery.com or call (775) 825-0600 for more information
Relocated Sparks Pyramid Way Garden Center
We are excited to show off our bigger, better garden center with more selection, a huge greenhouse & an expanded Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shop.
3397 Pyramid Way ... (775) 425-4300
Easy Access with dedicated turn lanes on to Queen Way at the light, just north of the store, right into our expanded parking lot.
Visit any time to get expert gardening information ... 24/7!
- High Desert Fact Sheets
- Bi-weekly Timely Tips
- Helpful High Desert Videos
- Monthly Newsletters
- Weekly Specials
- High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- And much more ...
An Updated, Local Tool For You ... Moana Nursery's Exclusive High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- Search and explore plants that thrive in our unique climate and region.
- Build wish lists, learn about plant characteristics and find the perfect plants for you and your home.
- Bring your wish list to your favorite Moana Nursery location and our expert staff will help with your choices.
- Upgraded to be even better in 2018.
Have you seen all our new "how to" videos? This one is "How to Plant a Tree in the High Desert" with our plant doctor Lisa.
Follow this link below to all our videos which are designed for quick viewing and "how to" high desert assistance. We are adding to our video collection weekly so check back often: http://www.moananursery.com/helpful-high-desert-videos/how-to-videos.html