Better Plants. Better Advice. Better Results.
Contact Information: Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Moana Lane Garden Center
The Florist, Greenhouse &
1100 W. Moana Lane, Reno 775-825-0600
S. Virginia St. Garden Center
Outdoor Living, Tree Land & Moana Rock
11301 S. Virginia St., Reno
Pyramid Hwy. Garden Center Spanish Springs Nursery
7655 Pyramid Hwy., Sparks
Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
At All three locations Including all 3 Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops, TreeLand & Moana Rock. The Florist at Moana Lane is closed Sunday but great arrangements available in the cooler and orders taken by nursery teammates.
Landscape & Design Center
Water-Wise Irrigation, Hardscapes, Maintenance & Water Features
1190 W. Moana Lane, Reno
775-825-0602 X 134
NV Lic. #3379 A, D, E
CA Lic. #317448
May 8th ... don't forget!
|Timely, Local High Desert Tips ...
Now is the Time To ...
- Continue to monitor nighttime temperatures. Sudden last minute changes to below freezing temperatures can cause a great deal of damage. Be prepared to cover tender plants.
- Deadhead or lightly prune spent lilac blossoms to increase flower production.
- Gently pull off dried flowers of azaleas and rhododendrons, taking care not to break sticky, new shoots located at the base of the flowers. This is a great time to fertilize with G&B Organics Rhododendron, Azalea & Camellia Fertilizer and mulch with G&B Organics Acid Planting Mix.
- Clean ponds and add bacteria supplements such as Pond Perfect to keep pond balanced and algae-free.
- Activate compost pile with garden soil, G&B Organics Compost Starter and water.
- Hummingbirds have arrived & orioles will begin appearing any day. Now's the time to put out oranges and grape jelly for orioles and WBU Hummingbird and Oriole Nectar for both hummingbirds and orioles. Be sure to change the sugar water every few days so it doesn't spoil.
Moana Nursery Rewards Program
Members Only Special
15% Savings on All Wild Bird Unlimited Seed Cylinders, Bells, Stackables & Cakes
Limited to regular-priced stock on hand. Offer expires May 15, 2016; excludes suet cakes & cylinders.
Vines: Clematis, 'Madame Galen' Trumpet Vine.
Shrubs & Trees: Woodland Gems Dwarf Evergreens, Japanese Maples, Hydrangeas, 'Honeycrisp' Apples.
Edibles: 'Sun Jewel' Melon, 'Purple Podded Pole' Bean,
'Cosmic Purple' Carrot, 'Mild Micro Mix' Micro Greens.
Greenhouse/Indoor: Mandarin Citrus Trees, Olive Trees.
Annuals: 'Sonata' Celosia, 'New Day Mix' Gazania, 'Silky Gold' Asclepias, 'Sonata Mix' Cosmos, 'Cut & Come Again' Zinnia, 'Bijou Dwarf' Sweet Pea, Chameleon Calibrachoa which begin as one color which changes throughout the season as they react to light levels, day length and other
Perennial: 'Whiskers Deep Rose' Gaura.
Hanging Baskets: Strawberry, Geranium, Mixed Annuals in 10"/12"/18" & 10 gal.
|Madame Galen Trumpet Vine|
|Woodland Gems Dwarf Evergreens|
|Strawberry Hanging Basket|
I love you forever, I like you for always
As long as I'm living my baby you'll be - Robert Munsch
From the Florist at Moana
Celebrate your mom with a specially designed floral arrangement this mother's week May 2 - 8. Order early for best selection. Call 775-825-0671.
Save 20% on Moana-Grown
High Desert Landscape Specials
Better Plants. Better Results.
- #15 Austrian Pine (reg. $132).
- #15 Northern Red Oak (reg. $132).
- #3 'Goldflame' Spiraea (reg. $32).
- #3 'Little Princess' Spiraea (reg. $32).
- 8.8 lbs. Gro-Power Plus 5-3-1 Fertilizer (reg. $26).
- ALL 20% Off Now!
Bree's Plant of the Month: Irises
Iris means rainbow and in fact, irises come in a rainbow colors: blue & purple, white & yellow, pink & orange, brown & red, and even black. Irises are easy to grow and thrive in our high desert climate. To learn more about iris, stop by the High Desert Iris Show on May 21 & 22 and attend their Saturday seminar - see below for details.
| Matt's High Desert Tree of the Month:
'Banshosho' Janpanese Black Pine
This very desirable dwarf is highly decorative and slow growing so it works well in smaller areas where it can be enjoyed up close. It has showy spring 'candles' that really stand out against the pretty light green needles. 'Banshosho' is available in very limited numbers.
|Bree's May Planting Tip
- Plant delphiniums, phlox, daylilies, carnations, aubrietia, candytuft, basket of gold, primrose and other summer flowering perennials any time in May.
- Carrots, lettuce, potatoes, corn, beans, peas and other vegetables, except warm weather crops, can be seeded or planted now.
- Petunias, geraniums, fuchsias & impatiens should be ready to plant by mid-month.
| Carmel's Featured Wild Birds Unlimited Product
PLUS ... 25% Savings!All Advanced Pole Systems & Hardware
Includes Basic and Deck hardware set-up kits.
Limited to full-priced stock on hand. Offer expires May 15, 2016
The birds will love you!
|Carmel's May High Desert Bird of the Month: Spotted Towhee
How to identify:
Spotted Towhee's have a thick, pointed bill, short neck, chunky body, and long, rounded tail. Males have jet-black upperparts and throat while their wings and back are spotted bright white. The flanks are rufous red with a white belly. Females have the same pattern but are warm brown where males are black.
Look for Spotted Towhees in open, shrubby habitat with thick undergrowth. Spotted Towhees are also at home in backyards, forest edges, and overgrown fields.
Click here to read the rest of Carmel's informative articles and more on local birds at www.reno.wbu.com.
Sign up there for our monthly Wild Birds Unlimited newsletter.
Red Hot Special
Bond Max Lopper $10.99 (reg. $14.99)
While supplies last.
Moana Nursery's High Desert Gardener Services for Residential & Business
Our talented team led by Leslie Richardson has expanded their menu of services:
*Garden Design, Installation & Maintenance
*Specialty Gardens of all types
Call 825-0602 x134 for free estimate.
Interior Plant Services
We provide three interior plant service programs - you can buy, rent or lease. For a free consultation with Vicky Ross, Interior Plant Design & Maintenance Manager, call 825-0602 x 134.
|Moana Rock Special:
10% Savings on Retail Bulk Material Purchases of 10 Yards or more.
Cannot be combined with any other discount. Offer expires May 15, 2016.
Moana Nursery Spring Sidewalk Sale -- 55% to 75% Savings
One weekend only: Friday, May 13th - Sunday, May 15th at all three locations.
Sale items will be clearly marked. Hurry in for best selection.
Upcoming Events & Seminars:
May 7: Delta Kappa Gamma Society International Arts & Craft Fair ... 9 AM - 3 PM
Moana Nursery, 1100 W. Moana Lane
Members will be selling candles, jewelry, artwork, scarves, lawn art, purses, backpacks and more. Proceeds help new teachers here at home get started and women educators worldwide advance their education via scholarships and grants.
May 13-15: Moana Spring Sidewalk Sale!
- All three locations
3 days only -- shop early for best selection!
May 21: Junk the Junipers - - 8 AM to 1 PM
- Nevada Division of Forestry: 885 Eastlake Blvd., Washoe Valley
- Lot adjacent to Truckee Meadows Fire Station - Silver Lake: 11525 Red Rock Rd.
May 7: Mother's Day weekend - no seminar
May 14: Growing & Using Culinary Herbs 101
Learn about the great variety of culinary herbs, how easy it is to grow them almost anywhere, care for them and use them. If you're a foodie, you won't want to miss this one!
May 21 & 22nd: High Desert Iris Society Show
Moana Nursery, 1100 W. Moana Lane - inside retail store
Saturday: 1:00 - 6:00 PM -- 10:00 AM Seminar - see below
Sunday: 9:00 AM - 3 PM
May 21: Welcome to the World of Irises & Companion Plants -- 10 AM to 12:45 PM Presented by the High Desert Iris Society, a Region 14 Affiliate of the American Iris Society. Drop in any time and stay as long as you would like.
Learn from the study and experience of different types of drought-aware iris gardeners as Iris Club members present a fast-paced variety of topics and science for beginners and experts. See before/after photo presentations and fun demonstrations of home garden projects with perennials including iris. Get inspired on thinking of seasons, birds, bee-keeping, pets and water considerations. High Desert Iris Society is a lively group-- attendees will love the photo display competition and presentations on color use, soil, pollinators, microclimates, mulches and zone-watering from Winnemucca to the Virginia Foothills, from Eastern Oregon to Auburn!
Door prize drawings include iris. Then visit the Society's Annual judged iris flower show to see an amazing array of iris Saturday from 1 to 6 PM and Sunday, May 22nd from 9 AM to 3 PM.
May 28: Memorial Day weekend - no seminars
All seminars are free and held at Moana Nursery, 1190 W. Moana Lane in our Landscape & Design Center unless otherwise stated. Seminars begin at 10 AM and last one hour. Seating is limited to 60 and is first come, first served. Visit www.moananursery.com or call 775-825-0600 for more information.
|A New, Local Tool For You ... Moana Nursery's Exclusive High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- Search and explore plants that thrive in our unique climate and region.
- Build wish lists, learn about plant characteristics and find the perfect plants for you and your home.
- Bring your wish list to your favorite Moana Nursery location and our expert staff will help with your choices.
Plan & Plant tool for you!
Now is the perfect time to use our Plan & Plant resource to easily design and get expert assistance for those dreams and changes you have for your yard. Take a look and see if it inspires you
... we all can be "landscape designers" with these simple tools.
Our website is filled with local gardening & landscaping advice to make you comfortable gardening and landscaping in our high desert.