Moana Lane Garden Center
The Florist, Greenhouse & Gift Shop
1100 W. Moana Lane, Reno
S. Virginia St. Garden Center
Tree Land & Moana Rock
11301 S. Virginia St., Reno
New Sparks Location
Pyramid Way Garden Center Sparks Nursery & Greenhouse
3397 Pyramid Way, Sparks
Monday - Saturday:
8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
At all three locations including all 3 Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops, Tree Land & Moana Rock.
The Florist at Moana Lane is closed Sunday (except before Valentine's Day, Mother's Day & Easter Sunday) but great arrangements are available in the cooler and orders taken by nursery teammates.
Landscape & Design Center
Water-Wise Irrigation, Hardscapes, Maintenance & Water Features
1190 W. Moana Lane, Reno
775-825-0602 X 134
NV Lic. #3379 A, D
CA Lic. #317448
Children's Day June 10th
Father's Day June 17th
First Day of Summer June 21st
|Timely, Local High Desert Tips
Now is the time to ...
We are seeing a variety of pests, especially aphids of all colors, with infestation populations. If you're not sure what's eating your plants, visit your nearest Moana Nursery Plant Doctor with a sample of plant with bugs or disease. We'll help you ID the culprit and suggest the safest, most effective controls.
- Apply Bonide Tomato & Blossom Set Spray to increase yields and speed up ripening as our temperatures fluctuate from their lows to highs and if plants are exposed to wind.
- Treat turf fungi with a fungicide. For best results, alternate the fungicide used each year - use Bonide Infuse, Copper Fungicide or Weed Beater Fe.
- Inspect lawn for weeds and use Bonide Weed Beater Complete, Weed Beater Fe or Weed Beater Ultra to control. Mow high (3 to 3-1/2 inches) so individual blades of grass can shade each other.
- Control insect pests, including aphids, mealybugs, scale, spider mites, thrips, whitefly and others with Ladybugs and Lacewings, Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray, or Bonide Bon-Neem II. For safe and quick control of leaf chewing insects, use Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew.
- Use FoxFarm Marine Cuisine or G&B Organics Rhododendron, Azalea & Camellia Fertilizer to help green up conifers that are looking chlorotic (yellow).
- Fertilize roses after first flush of flowers with G&B Organics Rose & Flower Fertilizer and mulch with G&B Organics Harvest Supreme.
Rewards Member Only June 2018 Special:
15% Savings on All Decorative Garden Stakes!
New Arrivals for High Desert Success:
Drift Roses: Peach, Pink, White & Red.
Shrubs: 'Orange Rocket' Barberry, 'Green Mound' Juniper.
Trees: 'Bloodgood' Japanese Maple.
Perennials (plant once & enjoy year after year): 'Bolero' Agastache, 'American Dream' Coreopsis, 'Cheyenne Spirit' Echinacea, & 'Whirling Butterflies' Gaura.
Annuals (plant every year): 10 Gallon Summit Hanging Baskets, 'Lanai Peach' Verbena, 'Radiant Magenta' Brachycome, 'Silver Falls' Dichondra & 'Lucky Red' Lantana.
Veggies: Locally grown Fallon Tomatoes (4", 1 gal & 5 gal.)
'Brandywine', 'Beefsteak', 'Roma' & "Ace; 4" Peppers - 'Thai Hot', 'Purple Beauty' & 'Early Jalapeno'.
|Whirling Butterflies Gaura|
|Cheyenne Spirit Echinnacea|
|10 gal. Summit Hanging Baskets|
|Roma Tomatoes (Fallon Grown)|
8 Newly Arrived Moana-grown 9.99 "Best Value" Perennials
- #1 'Alaska', 'Becky' & 'Snowcap' Leucanthemum (Shasta daisy)
- #1 'Amistad' Salvia
- #1 'Arizona Red Shades' Gaillardia
- #1 Mexican Primrose
- #1 'Outrageous' & 'Stutter's Ball' Daylily
Planning a Wedding? Visit the Florist at Moana for Great Ideas!
Your wedding flowers will be one of the most photographed details of your wedding (besides you, of course!), so it's important to pick wedding centerpieces and bouquets that truly fit your wedding style.
Where to start? First, find flower types you love and the perfect style of design by scheduling a complimentary consultation with one our Wedding Specialists. We will assist you with bouquet and centerpiece ideas ranging in style from casual and rustic to formal and glamorous and flower color selection that match your style. For an appointment, call 775-825-0671 or email firstname.lastname@example.org You can also check our new website for wedding ideas.
Carmel's Featured Product for June - High Perch Hummingbird Feeders
Feeders include a HighView perch that invites hummingbirds to rest comfortably as they drink from any of four feeding ports while also offering an unobstructed view of the birds. Bright red cover attracts hummingbirds from a distance and is easily removed so the bowl can be cleaned quickly and thoroughly. Constructed of unbreakable polycarbonate. Lifetime Warranty!
June Only ...
Our most popular high desert perennial ...
Moana-grown #1 Stella d'Oro Daylily ...
Reg. 9.99 ... Now 4.99
Cannot be combined with other discounts.
See all June Savings Here.
Embrace the tranquil tradition of an Asian meditation garden by adding elements from our serene collection of garden art inspired by Far Eastern culture. Each item is designed to conjure the Zen spirit of Asia and to mesh beautifully with your own natural landscape.
Debbie's High Desert Shrub of the Month:
Easy to grow, compact shrub with graceful, spreading branches and spectacular clusters of white flowers in mid to late spring. Use at the back of the border or as an accent. Cut flowers make beautiful arrangements.
Carmel's June High Desert Bird of the Month:
Scientific name: Falco sparverius
The American Kestrel is North America's smallest falcon. In many older field guides you might see it referred to as "sparrow hawk", indicating the propensity to seek out small songbirds as prey.
The Kestrel is one of the most colorful birds of prey, with a slate blue head, black mustache and warm, reddish brown back. The male amps up this feast of color with slate blue wings, also. The Kestrel is roughly the size and shape of a Mourning Dove, but with a larger head, longer tail and distinctive falcon-shaped wings.
Kestrels most often hunt from the ground, although they can also catch food in flight. Their diet is heavy on invertebrates and insects such as dragonflies, grasshoppers, beetles; but they also are fierce hunters with prey including song birds nearly their size, lizards, small snakes, mice and voles.
Because of their small size, they can end up being prey for larger raptors like Red-tail Hawks, Barn Owls, Cooper's Hawk or even American Crows.
Click here to read the rest of Carmel's informative articles and more on local birds at www.reno.wbu.com
Sign up there for our monthly Wild Birds Unlimited newsletter.
Moana Rock ... The Landscape Rock Superstore!
Specialized "Slinger Truck" Services ...
for fast and efficient spreading of many materials like crushed rock, gravel, road base, etc.
- Parking areas.
- Construction and/or landscaping projects where large areas need to be covered.
- Areas requiring rock fill which are inaccessible by other equipment.
The Slinger Truck uses a system of conveyors to "sling" rock into place, allowing large areas to be covered quickly. The ability to extend the conveyor to "sling" rock up to 25 feet from the truck box allows reach into otherwise inaccessible areas.
For further information regarding the Slinger Truck rock spreading service, please call the Moana Rock Business Team Leader at: (775) 691-1220 to schedule or learn more.
Moana Rock is located directly behind our South Virginia St. Garden Center.
High Desert Moana-Grown
20% Savings on Each:
#15 Northern Red Oak (reg. 152)
#15 Multi-Stem 'Flame' Amur Maple (reg. 152)
#5 'Gold Mound' Spiraea (reg. 37)
#2 'Red Drift' Rose (reg. 34)
3 cu ft. G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner (reg.14.99)
Freshest Bird Seed in Town
Red Hot Seed Special
No Mess DP 36.99 Reg/ 33.99 Sale
No Mess Plus 49.99 Reg / 46.99 Sale
Save 25% on Select 25 lb. G&B Organics Fertilizer Blends* (reg. 56)
*Limited to stock on hand
- Bud & Bloom
- Citrus & Fruit
- Rhododendron, Azalea & Camellia
- Rose & Flower
- Tomato, Vegetable & Herb
Bree's Plant of the Month: Daylilies
These tried-and-true high desert perennials tolerate a wide variety of soil conditions, are not troubled by diseases or pests, and bloom faithfully for years with virtually no attention. Daylilies come in a wide range of flower shapes, textures and a rainbow of colors with blooms starting in midsummer. Re-blooming varieties like Stella d'Oro will bloom all summer.
Bree's Timely Planting/Gardening Tips for June:
- Pinch back Fuchsias, Geraniums, Cosmos, or any other plants that might be getting a little leggy.
- Pick out a few new perennials (plant once & come back year after year) for your garden.
- Divide spring flowering perennials like, Primroses, Arabis, and Aubrietia.
- As the weather warms, your container grown plants may need daily watering especially if the pots are exposed to the drying sunlight.
- Plant all warm weather vegetables (Corn, Beans, Peppers, Egg Plant, Tomatoes, Squash, Pumpkins, etc.) as soon as possible.
|Moana Nursery's High Desert Gardener Services for Residential & Business
For information or estimates on any of our services, call 825-0602 x134.
- Plant Based Garden Design, Installation and Maintenance
- Specialty Gardens
- Annual Bedding Color
- Custom On-Site Exterior Container Plantings
- Potting Shed Drop-Off Container and Event Services
- Seasonal and Holiday Decorating
Interior Plant Services:
Commercial, Residential and Custom Resort Projects
Visit our new Pyramid Way Greenhouse to see examples of green walls and more of Vicky's work featured in this photo.
We provide three interior plant service programs - - you can buy, rent or lease. For a free consultation with Vicky Ross, interior plant design & maintenance manager, call 825-0602 x 134.
Upcoming June Seminar
June 2: Nevada Smart Landscape Design - Plant Selection & Considerations for High Desert Water-Wise Gardens
Join Certified Arborist, Moana Plant Doctor and high desert gardener Steve Packer to learn about the many perennials, annuals, trees and shrubs that are water-wise once established and that one of the biggest water wasters in a landscape is a poorly designed and maintained irrigation system. You'll leave armed with inspiration and information to have a beautiful landscape which is also water-thrifty.
Seminars Resume in September ... Have a great summer!
All seminars are free and held at Moana Nursery, 1190 W. Moana Lane, in our Landscape and Design Center unless otherwise stated. Seminars begin promptly at 10 a.m. and last one hour unless otherwise noted. Please arrive 15 minutes early as seating is limited to 60 and is first come, first served. Visit www.moananursery.com or call (775) 825-0600 for more information
Relocated Sparks Pyramid Way Garden Center
We are excited to show off our bigger, better garden center with more selection, a huge greenhouse & an expanded Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shop.
3397 Pyramid Way ... (775) 425-4300
Easy Access with dedicated turn lanes on to Queen Way at the light, just north of the store, right into our expanded parking lot.
Visit any time to get expert gardening information ... 24/7!
- High Desert Fact Sheets
- Bi-weekly Timely Tips
- Helpful High Desert Videos
- Monthly Newsletters
- Weekly Specials
- High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- And much more ...
An Updated, Local Tool For You ... Moana Nursery's Exclusive High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- Search and explore plants that thrive in our unique climate and region.
- Build wish lists, learn about plant characteristics and find the perfect plants for you and your home.
- Bring your wish list to your favorite Moana Nursery location and our expert staff will help with your choices.
- Upgraded to be even better in 2018.
Have you seen all our new "how to" videos? This one is "How to Plant a Tree in the High Desert" with our plant doctor Lisa.
Follow this link below to all our videos which are designed for quick viewing and "how to" high desert assistance. We are adding to our video collection weekly so check back often: http://www.moananursery.com/helpful-high-desert-videos/how-to-videos.html