Moana Lane Garden Center
The Florist, Greenhouse &
1100 W. Moana Lane, Reno
S. Virginia St. Garden Center
Outdoor Living, Tree Land & Moana Rock
11301 S. Virginia St., Reno
Pyramid Hwy. Garden Center Spanish Springs Nursery
7655 Pyramid Hwy., Sparks
Monday - Saturday: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
At All three locations including all 3 Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops
, Tree Land & Moana Rock.
The Florist at Moana Lane is closed Sunday (except Mother's Day & Easter Sunday) but great arrangements are available in the cooler and orders taken by nursery teammates.
Landscape & Design Center
Water-Wise Irrigation, Hardscapes, Maintenance & Water Features
1190 W. Moana Lane, Reno
775-825-0602 X 134
NV Lic. #3379 A, D, E
CA Lic. #317448
Timely, Local High Desert Tips - -
Now is the time to ...
Due to our very wet winter, we are seeing a variety of pests with infestation populations. If you're not sure what's eating your plants, visit your nearest Moana Nursery Plant Doctor with a sample of plant with bugs or disease. We'll help you ID the culprit and suggest the safest, most effective controls.
- Treat turf fungi with a fungicide. For best results, alternate the fungicide used each year - use Bonide Infuse and Bonide Fung-onil.
- Inspect lawn for weeds and use Bonide Weed & Feed to control. Mow high (3 to 3-1/2 inches) so individual blades of grass can shade each other.
- Control insect pests, including aphids, mealybugs, scale, spider mites, thrips, whitefly and others with lady bugs or use Captain Jack's Dead Bug for leaf chewing insects for a safe and quick control.
- If you haven't already done so, mulch all garden beds with G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner after thoroughly weeding and watering. 3 inches of SBC will reduce your water requirements by up to 30%.
- Check all plants weekly to be sure they are getting adequate water. Inspect irrigation system regularly for leaks, clogged emitters, broken/clogged head and other problems. Adjust watering schedule as weather dictates.
Moana Nursery Rewards Program Members Only Specials
15% Savings on all Large, Empty Finch Socks ... and
20% Savings on the Florist at Moana's Signature Dozen Roses in Classic Glass Bubble Bowl.
Call 825-0671 to order or visit the Florist on Moana Lane. Local delivery only; delivery is not discounted. Offer ends June 15, 2017.
|Tamukeyama Japanese Maple|
Trees: 'Tamukeyama' Japanese Maple.
Shrubs: 'Admiration' & 'Orange Rocket' Barberry, Lydia Broom, 'Wine and Roses' Weigela.
Perennials - plant once and enjoy year after year: 'Hello Yellow' Asclepias tuberosa, 'Furman's Red' Salvia, 'Whirling Butterflies' Gaura, 'Double River Wye' Daylily.
Annuals - plant every year: 'Graffiti Red Velvet' Pentas, 'Black and Bloom' Salvia, 'Chameleon Blueberry Scone' Calibrachoa, 'Chameleon Sunshine Berry' Calibrachoa, 'Giant Exhibition Mix' Coleus.
Veggies: Peanut Plant, 'Adam Gherkin' Cucumber, 'Big Rainbow' Tomato, 'Little Finger' Carrot.
Wild Birds Unlimited June Featured Item . . . Rusty Garden Decor
Perfect pieces to add character and lively atmosphere to your garden.
Bree's Plant of the Month: Asclepias
Crucial to the survival of Monarch butterflies, this perennial also hosts other pollinators like bees and birds. Asclepias syriaca or common milkweed is a must have for a pollinator garden. Add other species like Asclepias tuberosa and Asclepias currassavica for a dynamic pollinator garden.
Debbie's High Desert Shrub of the Month:
This easy to grow, compact shrub has graceful, spreading branches and spectacular clusters of white flowers in mid to late spring. Use at the back of the border or as an accent. Cut flowers make beautiful arrangements. Deciduous - loses its leaves in fall.
Bree's Gardening June Tips
- For a quick splash of color, plant 4" annuals to instantly brighten your landscape or garden for next few months.
- Make sure to deadhead or pinch off any old flower blooms to encourage continued flowering through the season.
- As the weather continues to get warmer, container grown plants may need daily watering if they are exposed to drying sunlight and/or wind.
- To keep annuals in containers, baskets and window boxes looking full & healthy by fertilizing every 2-3 weeks with G&B Organics Bud & Bloom or the G&B Organics High Bloome Fertilizer. Always water plants before fertilizing.
Carmel's High Desert June Bird of the Month:
Black Headed Grosbeak
Here in the Truckee Meadows, we are likely to be visited by two species of grosbeaks - the Black-headed Grosbeak in spring and summer, the Evening Grosbeak in winter.
Black-headed Grosbeak is a spring and summer visitor in our area, and winters in Mexico. Breeding males are a rich orange-cinnamon with a black head and black and white wings. Females and immatures are brown above with warm orange or buff on the breast. In flight, look for the beautiful bright yellow under the wings. Their bills are large and conical like other grosbeaks.
Click here to read the rest of Carmel's informative articles and more on local birds at www.reno.wbu.com.
Sign up there for our monthly Wild Birds Unlimited newsletter.
Moana Nursery's High Desert Gardener Services for Residential & Business
We're off to a busy Spring Season with the expansion of our Potting Shed at the Moana Lane location. Please inquire about drop-off container services at our Moana Lane Store or the Landscape Design Center -- 825-0602 x134.
Other services include:
- Plant Based Garden Design, Installation and Maintenance
- Specialty Gardens
- Annual Bedding Color
- Custom On-Site Exterior Container Plantings
- Potting Shed Drop-Off Container and Event Services
- Seasonal and Holiday Decorating
For information or estimates on our other services, call 825-0602 x134.
Interior Plant Services
Commercial, Residential and Custom Resort Projects
Custom containers decorating a local residence.
We provide three interior plant service programs - - you can buy, rent or lease. For a free consultation with Vicky Ross, interior plant design & maintenance manager, call 825-0602 x 134.
June 3: 10-11 AM: Native Pollinators and Their Host Plants
Pamela Van Hoozer, Master Gardener will discuss our native pollinators - bumble, native & honey bees, local hummers and butterflies and the plants that attract and support them. For the last 15 minutes of the seminar, you will get a guided tour through the garden center to see plants mentioned in the seminar.
June 3: 1-2 PM: Meet and Greet a Desert Tortoise
Yes, these magnificent creatures can live in the Truckee Meadows with a little help! Join us for this up close & personal visit with a desert tortoise. Kym McDonough, Northern Nevada Adoptions Coordinator for The Tortoise Group will explain the adoption process. Learn how to create a tortoise friendly habitat and care for a tortoise in northern Nevada.
June 10: Ten Plants You Should Have in Your Garden now for Color
Why we love color in the garden, and tips and techniques on how to enjoy color throughout the season -- and even the year. Horticulturist and Moana Nursery Plant Doctor Lisa Braginton will host this seminar for novices and experienced gardeners alike.
June 17: Pet Safe Landscapes
Learn how to make your home and yard secure and engaging for your dogs & cats. From simple landscape ideas, materials and features that make for happy pets indoors and outdoors to pet safe plants, pesticides, fertilizers and gardening techniques that keep your pets happy and healthy. Join Moana Plant Doctor, landscaper & dog lover Jon Bruyn for this informative seminar.
June 24: 10-11 AM: Nevada Smart Landscape Design - Plant Selection & Considerations for High Desert Water-Wise Gardens
Join Certified Arborist, Moana Plant Doctor and high desert gardener Steve Packer to learn about the many perennials, annuals, trees and shrubs that are water-wise once established and that one of the biggest water wasters in a landscape is a poorly designed and maintained irrigation system. You'll leave armed with inspiration and information to have a beautiful landscape which is also water-thrifty.
June 24: 1-3 PM:
How to Make your Backyard Hummingbird and Butterfly Friendly
Join Reno Rose Society member Vicki Jewell to learn how to attract these fascinating pollinators to your garden. She will share a video, photos, ideas and tips to help you create your own backyard sanctuary. Don't miss this timely seminar. Light refreshments will be served.
Vicki is a master gardener with 15 years' experience in the landscape industry, a member of the Sierra Garden Club, and currently Secretary of the Reno Rose Society and Publicity Chair of their Artown "Star Spangled Roses" Show which will be held on July 1 at the McKinley Arts Center.
All seminars are free and held at Moana Nursery, 1190 W. Moana Lane, in our Landscape and Design Center unless otherwise stated. Seminars begin promptly at 10 a.m. and last one hour unless otherwise noted. Please arrive 15 minutes early as seating is limited to 60 and is first come, first served. Visit www.moananursery.com or call (775) 825-0600 for more information.
Beneficial Insects For Your Garden & Landscape!
Praying mantids, ladybugs, lacewings, and beneficial nematodes essential for IPM (Integrated Pest Management) for controlling nuisance pests in your yard and garden. Beneficial nematodes control over 200 soil dwelling and wood boring pests including grubs, weevils and fungus gnats. Ladybugs and green lacewings are two of the garden's best pest fighters in one cup. Lacewings, (AKA aphid lions), devour up to 1,000 aphids a day and attack mites, whiteflies, leafhoppers, thrips, caterpillars and more. Earthworms improve soil structure and fertility.
Visit any time to get expert gardening information ...
- High Desert Fact Sheets
- Bi-weekly Timely Tips
- Helpful High Desert Videos
- Monthly Newsletters
- Weekly Specials
- High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- And much more ...
An Updated, Local Tool For You ... Moana Nursery's Exclusive High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- Search and explore plants that thrive in our unique climate and region.
- Build wish lists, learn about plant characteristics and find the perfect plants for you and your home.
- Bring your wish list to your favorite Moana Nursery location and our expert staff will help with your choices.
- Upgraded to be even better in 2017.