Better Plants. Better Advice. Better Results.
Contact Information: Email us at: email@example.com
Moana Lane Garden Center
The Florist, Greenhouse &
1100 W. Moana Lane, Reno 775-825-0600
S. Virginia St. Garden Center
Outdoor Living, Tree Land & Moana Rock
11301 S. Virginia St., Reno
Pyramid Hwy. Garden Center Spanish Springs Nursery
7655 Pyramid Hwy., Sparks
Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
At All three locations Including all 3 Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops, TreeLand & Moana Rock. The Florist at Moana Lane is closed Sunday but great arrangements available in the cooler and orders taken by nursery teammates.
Landscape & Design Center
Water-Wise Irrigation, Hardscapes, Maintenance & Water Features
1190 W. Moana Lane, Reno
775-825-0602 X 134
NV Lic. #3379 A, D, E
CA Lic. #317448
|G&B Organics High Bloome Fertilizer|
|G&B Organics Harvest Supreme Soil Amendment|
|New Henri Fountain|
|Cosmos Sonata Mix|
Sign up for Nature News -
Moana Nursery is on Facebook!
Click the link and become a fan!
Become a Fan Now!
Nature News e-Newsletter
the Wild Birds Unlimited e-Newsletter from Moana Nursery HERE
|G&B Organics Worm-Gro|
|Weeping Blue Atlas Cedar|
|Bonide Crabgrass & Weed Preventer|
|G&B Organics Rose & Flower Planting Mix|
|Bonide Liquid Plant Food||
Spring Into Summer Savings
Days Only, Starts TODAY!
30% OFF ALL Trees & Shrubs
And... More!See It All Here
; Ends Sunday
All 3 Stores; June 1st to 5th
|Timely, Local High Desert Tips ...
Now is the Time To ...
Aphid & Powdery Mildew Alert:
Aphids continue to reproduce, especially after recent rains which stimulated new plant growth. To control, start with Lady Bugs and a hose. If infestation is great, use Bon Neem II, Bonide Rose Rx, Bonide Tomato & Vegetable Spray, or Organocide 3-in-1 Garden Spray. Bonide Systemic Insecticide Granules can also be used on all ornamentals.
Due to our cool weather and moisture, and now warmer weather, watch for signs of powdery mildew. This thin covering of white powdery substance, typically on lower leaves, spreading to the rest of the plant, can be treated organically with Organicide 3 in 1 Garden Spray. It is safe for bees and butterflies.
- From June thru July, you can prune up to 20% of the foliage on Japanese maples. You can also lightly tip-prune thru August to control new growth or runaway water shoots, but save the major pruning for winter when the tree is fully dormant. Do not prune after the leaf buds start swelling in the spring, because the tree can bleed quite severely and become weakened. Click here for more details.
- Japanese maples are made for shade; they require morning sun only. Otherwise their leaves will burn.
- Mulch all garden beds, trees, shrubs and vegetables with G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner after thoroughly weeding and watering. 3 inches of SBC will reduce your water requirements up to 30%.
- Fertilize annuals in containers, baskets and window boxes every 2-3 weeks with G&B Organics Bud & Bloom or the new liquid G&B Organics High Bloom Fertilizer. Always water plants before fertilizing.
- Stake or cage tomatoes as they begin to grow. If your tomatoes are exposed to wind, apply Bonide Tomato & Blossom Set.
Moana Nursery Rewards Program
Members Only Special
15% Savings on All Tomato & Vegetable Plants*
Offer expires June 15, 2016; *excludes Herbs.
Shrubs, Trees & Roses: :'Tahiti' Rose of Sharon Patio Tree, 'Magic Berry' Coralberry, 'Dutchman's Pipe' Vine, 'Coral Cove' Rose.
Edibles: 'Raspberry Shortcake' Raspberry, assorted Heirloom Tomatoes, Organic Edible Flowers including Calendula, Violas, Bachelor Buttons, Wild Ginger.
Perennials: 'Red Hot Popsicle' Red Hot Poker, 'Boysenberry Ruffles' Lavender, 'Purple Rain' Salvia.
Annuals: 'Amazon Sunset' Lotus, Calibrachoa Trixi Series.
|Red Hot Popsicle Red Hot Poker|
|Tahiti Rose of Aharon Patio Tree|
From the Florist at Moana
There is a strong tradition to express love and gratitude for fathers with a bouquet of flowers. Though rose is the preferred choice for the occasion, bouquets of several other flowers and houseplants are also given as Father's Day gifts. Call us at 825-0671 and we'll help you select the perfect gift to express your feelings for your dad.
Bree's Plant of the Month: Salvia
Wildly prolific and widely dispersed, salvias are usually at home in sunny sites, such as dry meadows, rocky slopes, moist grasslands, and open woodlands. They often have aromatic or woolly leaves. Their flowers are borne along spikes and come in a breathtaking range of colors. They are some of the showiest plants for containers, annual borders and mixed borders. Butterflies and hummingbirds love salvias almost as much as color-hungry gardeners do.
| Matt's High Desert Tree of the Month:
'Bruns Weeping' Serbian Spruce
This beautiful, slow growing evergreen adds year-round elegance to the landscape. 'Bruns Weeping' has pendulous branches densely covered with two-toned needles of green and silver. Its narrow form allow this tree to be placed near houses and patios. It is deer resistant and drought tolerant once established.
Bree's June Planting Tip
- Pinch back annuals like fuchsias, geraniums, cosmos or any other plants that might be getting a little leggy.
- Pinch chrysanthemums to encourage them to be bushier and have more blossoms. Pinch again, every 6 inches or so, as they grow, until July Fourth; then let them grow.
- June is an excellent month to pick out a few new perennials to plant in the garden.
- Plant all warm weather vegetables -- corn, beans, peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, squash, pumpkins, etc. -- as soon as possible.
- Tap your tomato plants to encourage good pollination; water every day and start feeding them weekly once fruits set.
After the special 5 day sale June 1st to June 5th, these savings are available and more.
Save 20% on Moana-Grown
High Desert Landscape Specials
Better Plants. Better Results.
- #15 Austrian Pine (reg. $132).
- #15 'Autumn Blaze' Maple (reg. $132).
- #3 'Lynwood Gold' Forsythia (reg. $28).
- #3 'Rose Glow' Barberry (reg. $29).
- G&B Organics Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer, 4lb./12lb./25lb. (reg. $11.99/$32/$56).
- ALL 20% Off Now!
Limited to stock on hand at full retail price. Expires June 15, 2016. See all thru June 15th specials here
.See June 1st thru June 5th specials here.Customer Question
: Are we having a flash Sale like we have in the past???
Whether we had a deep discount sale was dependent on the inventory levels at our farm. During the recession, we had too many trees and shrubs because the market had dropped so significantly. Therefore, we were able to pass savings on to our customers rather than just watch the plants grow too big to sell and successfully replant in the high desert. With the plant market a little stronger and our planting a little less, we do not have a surplus of plants on our farm. Thus, we will not be able to have a flash sale. However, that does not mean we will not have attractive special sales for our customers, like the one announced in this newsletter to our best customers and friends.
| Wild Birds Unlimited Summer Seed Sale
Save on our top 3 WBU Blends!
20# Deluxe $23.99 reg. / $21.99 sale
20# No Mess DP $38.99 reg. / $35.99 sale
20# Dove & Quail $19.99 reg. / $16.99 sale*Offer applies to full priced seed in stock. Expires June 15, 2016
|Carmel's June High Desert Bird of the Month: Black Headed Grosbeak
How to identify:
Breeding males are a rich orange-cinnamon with a black head and black and white wings. Females and immatures are brown above with warm orange or buff on the breast. In flight, look for the beautiful bright yellow under the wings. Their bills are large and conical like other grosbeaks.
Habitat preferences are very diverse; they may be found from mixed woodlands, mountain forests, thickets along desert streams, to gardens and backyards. Ideal habitat seems to be a combination of large trees and a rich understory.
Click here to read the rest of Carmel's informative articles and more on local birds at www.reno.wbu.com.
Sign up there for our monthly Wild Birds Unlimited newsletter.
| Karma's June Featured Products
- Bonide Tomato & Blossom Set Spray makes blossoms set fruit despite poor weather. Nearly every blossom will produce larger, meatier, almost seedless tomatoes, ripening up to 3 weeks earlier. Can be used on other veggies.
- Bonide Rot-Stop is nutritional calcium which controls blossom end rot on tomatoes and other vegetables. Apply to developing fruit and foliage after periods of heavy rain or rapid growth.
Moana Nursery's High Desert Gardener Services for Residential & Business
Our talented team led by Leslie Richardson has expanded their menu of services:
*Garden Design, Installation & Maintenance
*Specialty Gardens of all types
Call 825-0602 x134 for free estimate.
Interior Plant Services
We provide three interior plant service programs - you can buy, rent or lease. For a free consultation with Vicky Ross, Interior Plant Design & Maintenance Manager, call 825-0602 x 134.
June Seminars & Events:
June 4: Creating your own Backyard Habitat for Pollinators: Hummingbirds, Butterflies and Bees
UNR Cooperative Extension Master Gardener Pamela Van Hoozer will discuss the importance of having pollinator plants in your garden to provide a habitat for bees, hummers and butterflies to frequent, what plants comprise a typical pollinator garden and how to care for them. In addition, she will share the latest research on the declining bee and why there is reason for hope. For the last 15 minutes of the seminar, you will get a guided tour through the garden center to see plants mentioned in the seminar.
Pamela is a local school garden volunteer and is currently working on a project at one school to achieve Schoolyard Habitat through US Fish & Division of Wildlife.
June 11: Color in the Garden
Why we love color in the garden, and tips and techniques on how to enjoy color throughout the season -- and even the year. Horticulturist and Moana Nursery Plant Doctor Lisa Braginton will host this seminar for novices and experienced gardeners alike.
June 11: Moana Nursery's Biggest Little Flower Show
Sponsored by Reno Rose Society
Open to all gardeners - novices and children included
Show off your favorite blooms and stems! And perhaps win a blue ribbon and a Moana Nursery $25 gift card. Just walk through your garden to find a few lovely specimens. Make a clean cut (leaving a long stem), place immediately in water and bring to Moana Lane location between 7:30 - 9:15 AM to enter. Reno Rose Society members will be on hand to assist you with displaying your entries. Show is open to all gardeners. There is no cost to enter.
7:30 - 9:15 AM: Entries received and completed
9:30 - 11:00 AM: Judging
11:00 AM - 3:00 PM: Show hours
3:00 - 5:00 PM: Pick up your entries
June 18: Edible Landscapes
Join Dianne Stortz-Lintz, retired City of Reno Horticulturist, avid high desert gardener & entertaining speaker, to learn how to use your existing landscape for food and add more edible, traditional ornamentals. Dianne will identify the wide palette of plants that can be consumed.
June 25: Nevada Smart Landscape Design - Plant Selection & Considerations for High Desert Water-Wise Gardens
Join Certified Arborist, Moana Plant Doctor and high desert gardener Steve Packer to learn about the many perennials, annuals, trees and shrubs that are water-wise once established and that one of the biggest water wasters in a landscape is a poorly designed and maintained irrigation system. You'll leave armed with inspiration and information to have a beautiful landscape which is also water-thrifty.
All seminars are free and held at Moana Nursery, 1190 W. Moana Lane in our Landscape & Design Center unless otherwise stated. Seminars begin at 10 AM and last one hour. Seating is limited to 60 and is first come, first served. Visit www.moananursery.com or call 775-825-0600 for more information.
|A New, Local Tool For You ... Moana Nursery's Exclusive High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- Search and explore plants that thrive in our unique climate and region.
- Build wish lists, learn about plant characteristics and find the perfect plants for you and your home.
- Bring your wish list to your favorite Moana Nursery location and our expert staff will help with your choices.
Plan & Plant tool for you!
Now is the perfect time to use our Plan & Plant resource to easily design and get expert assistance for those dreams and changes you have for your yard. Take a look and see if it inspires you
... we all can be "landscape designers" with these simple tools.
Our website is filled with local gardening & landscaping advice to make you comfortable gardening and landscaping in our high desert.