Moana Lane Garden Center
The Florist, Greenhouse & Gift Shop
1100 W. Moana Lane, Reno
S. Virginia St. Garden Center
Tree Land & Moana Rock
11301 S. Virginia St., Reno
New Sparks Location
Pyramid Way Garden Center Sparks Nursery & Greenhouse
3397 Pyramid Way, Sparks
Monday - Saturday:
8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
At all three locations including all 3 Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops, Tree Land & Moana Rock.
The Florist at Moana Lane is closed Sunday (except before Valentine's Day, Mother's Day & Easter Sunday) but great arrangements are available in the cooler and orders taken by nursery teammates.
Landscape & Design Center
Water-Wise Irrigation, Hardscapes, Maintenance & Water Features
1190 W. Moana Lane, Reno
775-825-0602 X 134
NV Lic. #3379 A, D
CA Lic. #317448
Happy, Happy Independence Day!
Store hours Wednesday 9:00 AM to Noon
|Timely, Local High Desert Tips
Now is the time to ...
- Earwigs are active in many yards - these guys eat at night, so you'll only see the destruction they've wrought in the daylight. Use Bonide Bug and Slug Killer, Bonide Eight or Diatomaceous Earth.
- Spider Mites are likely to start showing up on distressed trees and shrubs. Remove affected foliage and treat with Bonide Rose Rx 3 in 1, Citrus Fruit & Nut Orchard Spray or Organocide 3-in-1 Garden Spray. Do not compost affected foliage
- Water newly planted trees, shrubs, perennials & roses 3 - 4 times per week in July and August.
- Check all plants weekly to be sure they are getting adequate water; established trees, shrubs, perennials & roses require 1 inch of water per week throughout their root zones.
- Adjust watering schedule as weather dictates.
- Fertilize roses for the third and final time at the end of the month with G&B Organics Rose & Flower Fertilizer. Do not fertilize after August 1st.
- Fertilize vegetables with G&B Organics Tomato, Vegetable & Herb fertilizer every 2 weeks or G&B Organics High Bloome liquid fertilizer up to twice per week.
- Fertilize container plants with G&B Organics Bud & Bloome granular every three weeks or G&B Organics High Bloome liquid every two weeks; avoid applying in the heat of the day. Always water plants before adding liquid fertilizer.
Attention Moana Nursery Rewards Members:
Rewards Certificates will be mailed next week. Please contact us at email@example.com if you think you earned one and have not received it by July 14. Remember, the amount of your reward is based on retail purchases from January 1 thru June 30, 2018 with a minimum purchase of $100 to earn a Rewards Certificate. All certificates expire on August 31, 2018. To view the 2018 brochure and read about eligibility, please click here.
Rewards Member Only July 2018 Special:
15% Savings on All Seed Cylinders & Seed Stackables!
Many Choices ... thru July 31st.
Just in time for vacation feeding solutions or to attract those most selective birds!
*Excludes ALL suet stackables and cylinders.
4 More, New Moana-grown "Best Value" 9.99 #1 Perennials
- 'Lil' Bang Daybreak' Coreopsis
- 'Zagreb' Coreopsis
- 'Red Rocks' Penstemon
- 'New Vintage Rose' Yarrow
Art Glass Solar Stakes
Add color, light and sculpture to your garden with our new art glass solar stakes. Each piece is individually hand-blown by skilled artisans using techniques handed down through generations. These stakes come in a variety of shapes and rich colors which will never fade, adding everlasting color to your garden.
New Bonide Home Safe Household Insect Killer:
Pleasantly scented, non-greasy, all natural botanical extracts for people and pet safe pest control of most any household insect pest. May be used indoors and out.
Feeder Fresh Nectar Defender for Hummingbird Nectar
- All-natural product that protects the freshness of hummingbird nectar.
- Helps stop spoilage.
- Protects your nectar for weeks.
Special Sale Held Over Thru July!
Our most popular high desert perennial ...
Moana-grown #1 Stella d'Oro Daylily ...
Reg. 9.99 ... Now 4.99
Cannot be combined with other discounts.
See all July Savings Here.
Debbie's High Desert Shrub of the Month:
'Royal Purple' Smokebush
Easy to grow in average soil, but tolerates poor, rocky, infertile soils; requires excellent drainage. Dark foliage, smoky blooms, and warm fall colors make this an excellent addition to the garden. Plant with other shrubs to accentuate its colors or use it as an informal specimen. Water deeply, regularly during the first growing season to establish an extensive root system; reduce frequency once established. Fertilize in spring. Prune heavily every few years in late winter to early spring to promote new growth. Full sun.
Carmel's July High Desert Bird of the Month:
Scientific name: Poecile gambeli
Like all chickadees, the Mountain Chickadee has striking black-and-white markings on the head and gray elsewhere. The white stripe over the eye identifies Mountain Chickadees from all other chickadees. They are tiny, large-headed birds with small bills, with a long, narrow tail and full, rounded wings.
They are common across most of the evergreen forests of Western mountains, particularly pine, mixed conifer, spruce-fir, and pinyon-juniper forests. Mountain Chickadees use conifers heavily, typically leaving deciduous stands to the Black-capped Chickadee. The exception is in nesting, when Mountain Chickadees will seek out any available aspen trees for their soft, easily excavated wood.
Mountain Chickadees eat protein-rich insects and spiders during warm months, supplementing them with seeds and nuts as available. They come to bird feeders all year round. Many kinds of insects are eaten, including beetles, caterpillars, wasp larvae, aphids, and leafhoppers, as well as hard-to-reach scale insects and fly larvae hidden in plant galls. In fall and winter, seeds of montane pine species are very important.
Click here to read the rest of Carmel's informative articles and more on local birds at www.reno.wbu.com
Sign up there for our monthly Wild Birds Unlimited newsletter.
High Desert Moana-Grown
20% Savings on Each:
#15 'Bloodgood' London Planetree (reg. $152)
#15 Austrian Pine (reg. 152)
#5 'Rose Glow' Barberry (reg. $37)
#5 'Goldfinger' Potentilla (reg. $37)
3 cu ft. G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner (reg.14.99)
Freshest Bird Seed in Town
20# Supreme Blend 24.99 Reg./21.99 Sale
20# Deluxe Blend 21.99 Reg./18.99 Sale
Beautiful & perennial high desert favorites!
40% Savings on All Veggies*
*Herbs are excluded. Applies to regular priced veggies in stock.
All Specials limited to stock on hand. Discounts on regular retails only. Selection and specials July 2 - 31, 2018. In-store specials, too - all three stores!
Bree's Plant of the Month: Echinacea
The prefect perennial (plant once and enjoy year after year) for sunny locations. Each produces masses of eye catching blossoms in mid-summer that last through the remainder of the season. Boasting a wide range of colors and flowering types, Echinacea is a great pollinator plant for bees and butterflies.
Bree's Timely Planting/Gardening Tips for July:
- Continue to dead head (remove dead flowers) from your annuals to encourage continued blooming.
- Get a second bloom from faded annuals (plants that live only one season); cut them back to half their height, then fertilize with G&B Organics Bud and Bloome Fertilizer.
- Fertilize containers weekly with G&B Organics Bud and Bloome Fertilizer to keep them lush and blooming.
- Sow seeds of Hollyhocks, English Daisies, Foxgloves, Violets, Canterbury Bells and Sweet William into the garden now for next year's bloom.
Seminars Resume in September ... Have a great summer!
July 10: 6 to 8 pm The Cocktail Garden Party
Sip and learn to combine gardening with cocktails
Hosted by Seven Troughs Distilling Co. & Moana Nursery
At this event you will sip and learn how to make 3 different cocktails handcrafted from Seven Troughs small batch spirits infused with Moana-grown herbs plus get some tips on how to grow your own herbs.
- Mint Julips
- Bee's Knees
- Lemongrass Gin Fizz
$10 donation per person/Adults 21 and over
All proceeds benefit Keep Truckee Meadows Beautiful
Not Kid-Friendly. Please Drink Responsibly.
July 14-15: High Desert Iris Society Iris Sale
Moana Nursery, 1100 W. Moana Lane
Saturday 9 am - 6 pm
Sunday 9 am - 3 pm
All proceeds benefit the High Desert Iris Society.
July 21: High Desert Iris Society Iris Sale
Moana Nursery, 3397 Pyramid Way, Sparks
Saturday 9 am - 6 pm
All proceeds benefit the High Desert Iris Society.
Raise the River Fundraiser - -
A Sensory Experience to Benefit KTMB (Keep Truckee Meadows Beautiful)
The evening offers a sensory experience with local craft drinks and interactive sensory activities, along with a local-focused, sit-down dinner in the garden and great local music. Moana Nursery is sponsoring the Sense of Sight and partnering with Seven Troughs Distilling which will be serving Mint Juleps. Event is for ages 21 and over.
From 5:30 - 8 pm Sensory Garden in Idlewild Park, Reno
Tickets at ktmb.org/raisetheriver
|Moana Nursery's High Desert Gardener Services for Residential & Business
For information or estimates on any of our services, call 825-0602 x134.
- Plant Based Garden Design, Installation and Maintenance
- Specialty Gardens
- Annual Bedding Color
- Custom On-Site Exterior Container Plantings
- Potting Shed Drop-Off Container and Event Services
- Seasonal and Holiday Decorating
Interior Plant Services:
Commercial, Residential and Custom Resort Projects
Visit our new Pyramid Way Greenhouse to see examples of green walls and more of Vicky's work featured in this photo.
We provide three interior plant service programs - - you can buy, rent or lease. For a free consultation with Vicky Ross, interior plant design & maintenance manager, call 825-0602 x 134.
Relocated Sparks Pyramid Way Garden Center
We are excited to show off our bigger, better garden center with more selection, a huge greenhouse & an expanded Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shop.
3397 Pyramid Way ... (775) 425-4300
Easy Access with dedicated turn lanes on to Queen Way at the light, just north of the store, right into our expanded parking lot.
Visit any time to get expert gardening information ... 24/7!
- High Desert Fact Sheets
- Bi-weekly Timely Tips
- Helpful High Desert Videos
- Monthly Newsletters
- Weekly Specials
- High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- And much more ...
An Updated, Local Tool For You ... Moana Nursery's Exclusive High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- Search and explore plants that thrive in our unique climate and region.
- Build wish lists, learn about plant characteristics and find the perfect plants for you and your home.
- Bring your wish list to your favorite Moana Nursery location and our expert staff will help with your choices.
- Upgraded to be even better in 2018.
Have you seen all our new "how to" videos? This one is "How to Plant a Tree in the High Desert" with our plant doctor Lisa.
Follow this link below to all our videos which are designed for quick viewing and "how to" high desert assistance. We are adding to our video collection weekly so check back often: http://www.moananursery.com/helpful-high-desert-videos/how-to-videos.html
Moana Rock ... The Landscape Rock Superstore!
Specialized "Slinger Truck" Services ...
for fast and efficient spreading of many materials like crushed rock, gravel, road base, etc.
- Parking areas.
- Construction and/or landscaping projects where large areas need to be covered.
- Areas requiring rock fill which are inaccessible by other equipment.
The Slinger Truck uses a system of conveyors to "sling" rock into place, allowing large areas to be covered quickly. The ability to extend the conveyor to "sling" rock up to 25 feet from the truck box allows reach into otherwise inaccessible areas.
For further information regarding the Slinger Truck rock spreading service, please call the Moana Rock Business Team Leader at: (775) 691-1220 to schedule or learn more.
Moana Rock is located directly behind our South Virginia St. Garden Center.