Moana Lane Garden Center
The Florist, Greenhouse &
1100 W. Moana Lane, Reno
S. Virginia St. Garden Center
Outdoor Living, Tree Land & Moana Rock
11301 S. Virginia St., Reno
Pyramid Hwy. Garden Center Spanish Springs Nursery
7655 Pyramid Hwy., Sparks
Monday - Saturday: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
At All three locations including all 3 Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops
, Tree Land & Moana Rock.
The Florist at Moana Lane is closed Sunday (except Mother's Day & Easter Sunday) but great arrangements are available in the cooler and orders taken by nursery teammates.
Landscape & Design Center
Water-Wise Irrigation, Hardscapes, Maintenance & Water Features
1190 W. Moana Lane, Reno
775-825-0602 X 134
NV Lic. #3379 A, D
CA Lic. #317448
|Happy July 4th, Independence Day, & Happy Summer!
(Stores close at noon on 4th)
Timely, Local High Desert Tips - -
Now is the time to ...
- Adjust your irrigation controller to increase scheduled watering times to counter higher July and August temperatures.
- Inspect irrigation system regularly for leaks, clogged emitters, broken/clogged heads and other problems.
- Water newly planted trees, shrubs, perennials & roses 3 - 4 times per week in July and August.
- Check all plants weekly to be sure they are getting adequate water; established trees, shrubs, perennials & roses require 1 inch of water per week throughout their root zones.
- Control insect pests, including leafminers, spider mites, thrips and others with beneficial insects like lady bugs. Use Captain Jack's Deadbug Brew, an organic insecticide, for chewing insects as a safe and quick control. Ask us for best controls on significant infestations.
Moana Nursery Rewards Program Members Only Specials
30% Savings on All Annuals (plant every year) including hanging baskets & containers.
In stock and full priced.
Offer expires July 16, 2017
New, Colorful Garden Kinetic Spinners!
These spinners will add both color and movement to your outdoor space. Kinetic spinners are powered by the wind and will make your garden stand out above the rest.
New Arrival ... Hazelnut Shell Mulch
Oregon-grown hazelnut shell mulch is a great alternative to cocoa shell mulch. Long lasting (5-6 years to decompose) and not toxic to dogs like cocoa shell mulch. It forms a barrier that snails and slugs won't cross. Best of all is it will discourage your feline friends from digging and using your garden bed or houseplant as a littler box.
|If you can't go to the Tropics Bring the Tropics to you!
New from The Florist at Moana are specially designed, long lasting tropical arrangements including unique botanicals fresh from Hawaii! Each month we bring in a wide variety of beautiful, bold tropical flowers which we design into modern floral art. These amazing arrangements are sure to impress! Call The Florist at 775-825-0671 or visit our website: thefloristatmoana.com.
Carmel's July High Desert Bird of the Month:
Scientific name: Icterus bullockii
Northern Nevada plays host to a good variety of birds in winter - Northern Flicker, White-crowned Sparrow, Oregon Junco; summer, however, is mostly devoid of any unusual, colorful birds. But there is one summer resident that sets my heart singing - the Bullock's Oriole. It's such a thrill to see the flash of orange and black in the trees, to hear their beautiful song, to get a glimpse of their amazing nests.
Bullock's Orioles winter in Mexico and nest all across the western half of the U.S. They were once lumped with the eastern Baltimore Oriole, but now scientists believe they are not even closely related to that species. They are members of the same family as blackbirds, meadow larks and grackles.
Sign up there for our monthly Wild Birds Unlimited newsletter.
Click here to read the rest of Carmel's informative articles and more on local birds at www.reno.wbu.com.
- For the Birds, Sweet Seed Nectar Fusions: Wildflower infused hummingbird and oriole nectar. Uses all natural pure cane sugar, infused with steam distilled wildflower and fruit extracts, fortified with calcium and electrolytes. Available in RTU and concentrate formulas. You birds will LOVE it!
- For the Gardener, Yard Butler Tools: Durable, professional quality tools featuring all steel construction with a rust-proof powder coated finish and a comfortable cushion grip. Try one of the terra tuff assortment, popular whisk rake, deep root irrigator or many more quality tools. We guarantee their durability.
Bree's Plant of the Month: Monkshood
Although this perennial has gotten a bad rap throughout its history -- being called nefarious names like Wolf's Bane and Devil's Helmet -- Monkshood deserves a lot more attention. It is one of the few almost true blue flowers and is quite heat tolerant and hardy. Blooming in summer it handles partial shade, too. Be cautious when planting as all of the plant is poisonous. DO NOT plant if you have animals or children around your garden.
Debbie's High Desert Shrub of the Month:
Commonly called Rose of Sharon or althea, this shrub is low maintenance and attracts butterflies. It grows 8/12' tall and spreads 6/10' (trim after its done blooming to keep shorter) and can be trained or purchased as a small tree. Rose of Sharon puts on a beautiful show of hibiscus flowers, single or double in the summer and fall, and comes in many colors.
|Bree's Gardening Tips for July
- Continue to dead head (remove dead flowers) from annual plants to encourage continued blooming.
- Fertilizer container gardens regularly with our G&B Organics Bud & Bloom granular and High Bloome liquid fertilizers.
- Stop pinching mums in mid-month so they can develop flower buds for the fall.
- Water thoroughly and deeply as July temperatures increase.
Moana Nursery's High Desert Gardener Services for Residential & Business
Our Potting Shed at the Moana Lane location is open; please inquire about drop-off container services at our Moana Lane Store or the Landscape Design Center -- 825-0602 x134.
Other services include:
- Plant Based Garden Design, Installation and Maintenance
- Specialty Gardens
- Annual Bedding Color
- Custom On-Site Exterior Container Plantings
- Potting Shed Drop-Off Container and Event Services
- Seasonal and Holiday Decorating
For information or estimates on our other services, call 825-0602 x134.
Interior Plant Services
Commercial, Residential and Custom Resort Projects
We provide three interior plant service programs - - you can buy, rent or lease. For a free consultation with Vicky Ross, interior plant design & maintenance manager, call 825-0602 x 134.
(Seminars will resume in September):
July 1: The Reno Rose Society Presents
Star Spangled Roses
Reno's Artown Annual Rose and Flower Show
McKinley Arts & Culture Center, 925 Riverside Dr.
10 AM to 4:30 PM Saturday with the Arrangement Demonstration at 1 PM to 3 PM.
August 17: Raise the River Fundraiser - - A Sensory Experience to Benefit KTMB (Keep Truckee Meadows Beautiful)
Ignite your senses with culinary delights, craft libations, entertainment and interactive activities at five sensory stations themed for taste, smell, sight, touch & sound. Moana Nursery is sponsoring the Sense of Sight.
From 5:30 - 8 PM Sensory Garden in Idlewild Park, Reno
Beneficial Insects For Your Garden & Landscape!
Praying mantids, ladybugs, lacewings, and beneficial nematodes essential for IPM (Integrated Pest Management) for controlling nuisance pests in your yard and garden. Beneficial nematodes control over 200 soil dwelling and wood boring pests including grubs, weevils and fungus gnats. Ladybugs and green lacewings are two of the garden's best pest fighters in one cup. Lacewings, (AKA aphid lions), devour up to 1,000 aphids a day and attack mites, whiteflies, leafhoppers, thrips, caterpillars and more. Earthworms improve soil structure and fertility.
Visit any time to get expert gardening information ...
- High Desert Fact Sheets
- Bi-weekly Timely Tips
- Helpful High Desert Videos
- Monthly Newsletters
- Weekly Specials
- High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- And much more ...
An Updated, Local Tool For You ... Moana Nursery's Exclusive High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- Search and explore plants that thrive in our unique climate and region.
- Build wish lists, learn about plant characteristics and find the perfect plants for you and your home.
- Bring your wish list to your favorite Moana Nursery location and our expert staff will help with your choices.
- Upgraded to be even better in 2017.