Better Plants. Better Advice. Better Results..
Contact Information: Email us at: email@example.com
Moana Lane Garden Center
The Florist, Greenhouse &
1100 W. Moana Lane, Reno
S. Virginia St. Garden Center
Outdoor Living, Tree Land & Moana Rock
11301 S. Virginia St., Reno
Pyramid Hwy. Garden Center
Spanish Springs Nursery
7655 Pyramid Hwy., Sparks
Mon.-Friday: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
All three locations Including all 3 Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops, TreeLand & Moana Rock. The Florist at Moana Lane is closed Sunday but great arrangements available in the cooler and orders taken by nursery teammates.
Landscape & Design Center
Water-Wise Irrigation, Hardscapes, Maintenance & Water Features
1190 W. Moana Lane, Reno
775-825-0602 X 134
NV Lic. #3379 A, D, E
CA Lic. #317448
|Dr. Earth Fruit Tree Planting Mix|
|Grow More Orchid Food|Helpful Links:Sign up for Nature News -
Moana Nursery is on Facebook!
Click the link and become a fan!
Become a Fan Now!
Nature News e-Newsletter
the Wild Birds Unlimited e-Newsletter from Moana Nursery HERE
|Wilco Squirrel Bait|
|AceCap Insect Tree Implants|
|Bonide Rose Rx Drench|| |
Weed it and Reap - - treat weeds like the thieves they are, stealing water & other important resources from healthy plants ... maybe even strangling them! (Our conservation thought of the month.)
Happy Independence Day!Our 3 locations will close at noon on July 4th to celebrate our nation's birthday with our friends and family. So, please shop 9 am to Noon.
Timely, Local High Desert Tips ... Now is the Time To ...
Squash bugs are starting to appear on squash, cucumbers, melons & pumpkins. Use Bonide Eight (also controls ants, cicadas, scale, earwigs & mealybugs) or Bon Neem II to control these destructive pests.
- Codling moths will have their second hatching soon. Use Tanglefoot Codling Moth Traps to monitor when it occurs. Then apply Captain Jack's Deadbug Brew, according to the label, to protect your apple crop form their hungry larvae.
- If you have not already, mulch your flower and vegetable beds immediately after weeding with 3 inches of Gardner & Bloome Soil Building Compost to reduce water requirements up to 30%, retain moisture and keep weeds under control.
- Fertilize container plants with Dr. Earth Bud & Bloom Booster, granular or liquid, every three weeks or Dr. Earth Golden Bloom liquid every two weeks; avoid applying in the heat of the day. Always water plants before adding liquid fertilizer.
|Aphids Still A Problem?|
- With summer heat here to stay for a while, proper watering is crucial. Click here for How to Water Wisely for Healthy Plants.
July Special Rewards Members Only Offer (thru 7/15):
on ALL POTTERY
Full priced & in-stock
Attention Moana Nursery Rewards Members
- - Rewards Certificates will be mailed out next week. Please contact us if you think you earned one and don't receive it. Remember that the amount of your reward is based on your retail and landscape purchases between January 1 - June 30, 2015 with a minimum of $100 in purchases to receive a reward. To view the 2015 brochure and read about eligibility, See 2015 Program here
- Trees & Shrubs: Blue Atlas Cedar, 'Sunburst' Honeylocust, 'Bloomstruck' Hydrangea, 'Vanilla Strawberry Hydrangea, 'Ruby Spice' Summersweet
- Perennials: 'Cannova Rose' Canna; 'Lacy Doily', 'On and On', 'Rajah' & 'Entrapment' Daylilies; 'Lucifer' Crocosmia; 'All Gold' Hakonechloa; Glamour Girl' Phlox; 'Cranberry Lace' Monarda; Butterfly Weed
- Annuals: 'Garden Wonder Red', 'Cherish Pink', 'Rosella Purple, 'Kennemerland Yellow Catus, & 'Red Velvet' Dahlias; 'Ballad' Sunflower; 'Charles Star' Thunbergia; 'Archangel Purple' & 'Archangel Raspberry' Angelonia.
- Moana Lane Greenhouse: Tillandsia, 'Moclame' Ficus, 'Del Mar' Aechmea, 'Hahnii Jade' Sanseveria, 'Starlight' Guzmania.
|Blue Atlas Cedar|
|'Ruby Spice' Summersweet|
|'On and On' Daylily|
|'Garden Wonder Red' Dahlia|
'Hahnii Jade' Sanseveria
|'Cannova Rose' Canna|
Bring some peace, serenity and relaxation into your home and garden this summer. Each piece from our Eastern collection is handcrafted by artisans using reclaimed, recycled or sustainable raw materials. Relax and enjoy.
New Arrivals for Your Birds & Landscape
Wide selection of granite, stone and metal birdbaths now in stock. A beautiful addition to any backyard birdscape and landscape.
The Florist at Moana Nursery July ... Celebrate 4th of July with beautiful blooms! Order your Red, White and Blue arrangement today!
Just give the Florist at Moana a call at 825-0671 or online at
Karma's Featured Products (and they are on sale now):
- Dr. Earth Bud and Bloom Booster is formulated to feed plants gently to promote maximum blooms and strong root systems. Bud & Bloom Booster is great for all flowers, vegetable gardens, fruit trees and over all improved bud and bloom production.
- Dr. Earth Golden Bloom delivers the purest, highest quality nutrients available to encourage a maximum number of buds and blooms.
Matt's Tree of the Month: Goldenrain Tree
One of the most water-wise and adaptable trees you will ever find handles heat, poor soils and adverse conditions. Foot-long clusters of bright yellow flowers appear in mid-summer just when landscapes are in need of some color.
Bree's Perennial of the Month:
Daylily (see new arrivals)
With long green stocks and clumping flower buds this plant has a long list of advantages. It is available in a rainbow of colors, shapes and sizes and able to survive with very little care in a wide range of climates. Daylilies are suitable for all types of landscapes and with the hot July weather it is drought tolerant once established. The daylily also has relatively few pest and disease problems and adapts to various soils and light conditions.
| July Bird of the Month:|
This is probably the most common hawk in North America. If you have sharp eyes, you'll see several individuals on almost any long car ride, anywhere. Red-tailed Hawks soar above open fields, slowly turning circles on their broad rounded wings. Other times you'll see them atop telephone poles, eyes fixed on the ground to catch the movements of a vole or rabbit, or simply waiting out cold weather before climbing a thermal updraft into the sky.
Red-tailed Hawks are large hawks with typical Buteo proportions very broad, rounded wings and a short, wide tail. Large females seen from a distance might fool you into thinking you're seeing an eagle - until an actual eagle comes along! Most are rich brown above and pale below with a streaked belly and, on the wing underside, a dark bar between shoulder and wrist. The tail is usually pale below and cinnamon-red above, though in young birds, it's brown and banded. "Dark-phase birds are all chocolate-brown with a warm red tail. "Rufous-phase" birds are reddish-brown on the chest with a dark belly.
Click here for more on the Red-tailed Hawk plus the rest of our expert's informative articles & local birds at www.reno.wbu.com . Sign up there for our monthly Wild Birds Unlimited Newsletter and more.
Wild Birds Unlimited Special
20% Savings on All Advanced Pole System Bird Feeder Hardware
It's a great time to add to or build out a new feeder station. Perfect set-up for decks, yards or small spaces!
Bree's July Gardening Tips:
The number one concern for any garden in hot July weather is water. The amount of water your garden will need depends on the weather. The best way to make sure your plants are getting enough water is to use a trowel or shovel and dig down a few inches. The soil should be moist at least 3 to 4 inches deep to insure the water is reaching the root zone of the plant. The primary rule of summer watering is to water thoroughly and deeply each time and to allow the soil to dry out between watering. As the temperatures get hotter, your container plants may need daily watering. Push your finger into the soil at least once a day (more often on hot, dry days) to feel moisture and be certain that plants are getting enough water. Apply water until it runs out the drainage holes. Morning hours are the best time to water so leaves can dry off a bit before the hot sun hits them.
Annual plants will need some attention in July. Continue deadheading (removing dead flowers) to encourage continued blooming. You can also get a second bloom from faded annuals by cutting them back by one half their height, then fertilize with Dr. Earth Bud & Bloom Booster. Container gardens can regularly be fertilized with a liquid plant food like Dr. Earth Premium Gold All Purpose Fertilizer.
Matt's Water-Wise Home Improvement Specials:
$67 #15 'Chanticleer' Flowering Pear (reg.$122).
$17 #5 'Anthony Waterer' Spiraea (reg. $29).
Truckload Perennials Sale
on All full priced & in-stock
1 & 2 gal. Perennials!
Also in July ..
Red Hot: 30% Savings
on Dr. Earth Bud & Bloom Booster and Dr. Earth Golden Bloom, liquid and dry.
July Summer Savings ... see it all here.
Frost Proof Black Clay & Glazed Pottery in stock.
Bulk Material Installation & Spreading
Need rock for your landscape project? We can deliver and spread! We are located right behind the Garden Center on South Virginia St. and are open 7 days a week. Call us at 775-853-1319 x 3.
Dear Plant Doctor,
How deep should I plant my new plants?
Most plants benefit from being planted with the top of the rootball at the existing soil level - not the top of the container it came in. If planted too high, it will dry out faster, scalding the top of the rootball, stressing it and even killing it if not remedied quickly.
Planting too deep can slowly rot the roots and eventually kill the plant. Most plants that are planted too deep will have a dark soil ring stain around the base of the trunk or crown of the plant and its roots will emit a strong odor.
Interior Plant Services
Commercial, Residential and Custom Resort Projects
We provide three interior plant service programs - - you can buy, rent or lease. For a free consultation with Vicky Ross, interior plant design & maintenance manager, call 825-0602 x 134.
Seasonal Color for Homes & Businesses:
Unique Custom Containers for your property, artfully designed by our Seasonal Color Specialist, Leslie Richardson. Service includes on-site evaluation & installation. Call today 825-0602 x 134 for free estimate.
Upcoming July Events:
Moana Seminars will resume September 12th.
July 11: Reno Rose Society's Fantasies in Roses
2015 Annual Rose & Flower Show
McKinley Arts & Culture Center, 925 Riverside Drive, Reno
Open to the Public Noon to 5 PM
Public is also encouraged to submit entries
Division I ARS Horticulture Division for Roses - Entries 8:00-10:00 am - Page 7
Division II non--ARS Horticulture --- Entries 8:00-10:00 am --- Page 9
Division III ARS Rose Arrangements - Entries 8:00-10:00 am - Page 11
Division IV non-ARS Amateur Arrangements -- Entries 8:00- 10:00 am --- Page 13
Division V Professional Arrangements - Entries 8:00-12:00 - Page 15
Division VI Rose Photography - Entries 8:00-9:30 am - Page 16
Click here for complete show details:
July 25 & 26: Iris Sale sponsored by the High Desert Iris Society
Moana Nursery, 1100 W. Moana Lane
9 am to 6 pm Saturday
9 am to 3 pm Sunday You'll find a great selection of iris to purchase. All proceeds benefit the High Desert Iris Society.
Easiest Way To Conserve Water:
- Conservation is a fact of life in the high desert.
- Landscape irrigation is the #1 water usage in the Truckee Meadows.
- Irrigation systems in our area average less than 60% efficiency. Most need help and updating.
- Fix that ... and you easily meet your conservation goals and more ... lower water bills, healthier plants & minimum water waste!
- Add water holding organic material to your soil - - amend or mulch - - and conserve even more!
- Treat weeds as thieves ... they steal water and other important resources and may even strangle healthy plants.
Both your sprinkler & drip system can be improved with an investment in updating & modernization. Directional rotors, correct size emitters, drip line placement adjustments, controller management and much more are available. Regular repair, turn on/off and servicing are available too.
It's time to get serious about water conservation and we can help. The first important step is to make your system an efficient water distributor! Call us to schedule an appointment: (775) 825-0602 ext.134.
Local Businesses Supporting OUR Community!
Moana Nursery proudly donates to many Local, Important Non-Profits and plans to do the same in 2015.
If you'd like to see the full list, they are posted at our garden centers and you can view the 2014 group here: http://www.moananursery.com/fb_files/LocalDonations.pdf