Moana Lane Garden Center
The Florist, Greenhouse &
1100 W. Moana Lane, Reno
S. Virginia St. Garden Center
Outdoor Living, Tree Land & Moana Rock
11301 S. Virginia St., Reno
New Location - opens February 5th
Pyramid Way Garden Center Sparks/Spanish Springs Nursery
3397 Pyramid Way, Sparks
Winter Store Hours
Monday - Saturday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sunday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
At all three locations including all 3 Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops, Tree Land & Moana Rock.
The Florist at Moana Lane is closed Sunday (except before Valentine's Day, Mother's Day & Easter Sunday) but great arrangements are available in the cooler and orders taken by nursery teammates.
Landscape & Design Center
Water-Wise Irrigation, Hardscapes, Maintenance & Water Features
1190 W. Moana Lane, Reno
775-825-0602 X 134
NV Lic. #3379 A, D
CA Lic. #317448
Moana Nursery is on Facebook!
Click the link and become a fan!
For planting success, we recommend using these three products when planting or transplanting all plants:
Superthrive, G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner and G&B Organics Starter or All Purpose Fertilizers
Wishing you all the best for 2018!
Our big news is the relocation of our Sparks store to create a bigger, better garden center with more selection, a huge greenhouse & an expanded Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shop.
All our stores are closed New Year's Eve and New Year's Day with our new Pyramid Way location closed in January, opening February 5th. See more information on our new Sparks store here
Also new in 2018 will be our improved Rewards Program, more helpful high desert videos & improvements in the shopping experience at all three stores including demonstration gardens.
The final certificates from our 2017 Rewards program will be mailed shortly. Thank you for shopping with us and we look forward to seeing you in 2018 (our 51st local year!).
Timely, Local High Desert Tips
Now is the time to ...
- Keep bird feeders full through the winter. Birds grow accustomed to your feeders, especially in severe weather when the snacks you offer may mean their very survival. If you leave home for an extended period, a combination of seed cylinders and seed blocks can feed the birds in your absence, or ask a neighbor or friend to keep the feeders full.
- Continue to supply fresh water in a heated birdbath or add a de-icer to a frost-proof bird bath to ensure a steady supply of water. To prevent the chance of disease, clean birdbath weekly with a weak bleach solution (1 part bleach to 9 parts water). Rinse well.
- Recycle your Christmas tree at one of Keep Truckee Meadows Beautiful locations: Bartley Ranch Regional Park, Rancho San Rafael Regional Park and Shadow Mountain Sports Complex in Sparks. Hours: 9 am - 5 pm, December 26 - January 7. A $3 minimum donation is recommended. To volunteer sign up at ktmb.org
- Apply Bonide All Seasons Horticultural and Dormant Oil Spray to trees and shrubs to prevent insects when weather permits. Use according to directions.
- Regularly check plants for signs of damage from ice, snow, wind or animals and lack of winter water. If soil has heaved plants out of the ground, push soil back over the roots and apply a three inch layer of mulch, leaving a three inch clearing around the base of the plant to prevent rodents like voles from feeding at the base of plant.
- Remove heavy snow loads from evergreen branches by gently sweeping snow off with a broom. If branches have been anchored to the ground, gently lift them from underneath with a broom. Avoid beating tree branches with any heavy tools.
- Allow any ice that accumulates on tree branches to melt. Cracking ice with heavy objects should be avoided.
Rewards Member Only January 2018 Special:
15% Savings on
Regular priced and in stock. Expires 1/31/18
They clean the inside air and more! We feel better already.
Attention Moana Nursery Rewards Members:
Rewards Certificates will be mailed next week. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you think you earned one and have not received it by January 19th. Remember, the amount of your reward is based on retail purchases from July 1 - December 30, 2017, with a minimum purchase of $100 to earn a Rewards Certificate. All certificates expire on February 28, 2018. To view the 2017 brochure and read about eligibility, please click here.
Houseplants: Meyer Lemon & Lime Citrus trees, Tillandsias galore and a shipment of Assorted Houseplants.
2018 Botanical Interest Seeds are here
2018 Botanical Interest Seeds
Carmel's Favorite Bird Food - Jim's Birdacious Bark Butter® & Bits
Ideal for winter feeding. No bird food attracts more species of birds. Created by Jim Carpenter, founder of Wild Birds Unlimited, Bark Butter is a spreadable suet that can be easily smeared on tree bark or a Bark Butter Feeder. Bark Butter® Bits are bite-sized nuggets made from suet and other high-quality ingredients your birds will love. Both will attract a variety of birds, including many that do not normally visit feeders.
Wild Birds Unlimited Wheel of Fortune - Back by Popular Demand
January 2-31, 2018
Purchase a 20 lb. bag of Nyjer or No Mess Plus to
qualify for a spin and
become a winner!
Freshest Bird Seed in Town
Red Hot Prices for January
- 20 lb. No Mess DP 36.99 reg. / 32.99 sale
- 20 lb. No Mess Plus 49.99 reg. / 45.99 sale
Make Next Year's Christmas And The Holidays Even More Festive.
75%* Savings on Christmas Décor & Ornaments thru January 14, 2018
Hurry in for best selection!
*Cannot be combined with other discounts; applies to full priced merchandise - as is. All sales final.
In-Store Specials at Moana Lane and South Virginia Street locations
Bree's Plant of the Month: African Violets
African violets are among the easiest to grow flowering houseplants. They bloom year-round with little effort. Choose from hundreds of varieties and forms, including variegated foliage and ruffled or white-edged blooms. They prefer filtered sunlight, temperatures between 60 - 87 degrees F and thrive with humidity at 40 - 60-%. Water below the leaves using room temperature water to avoid getting water on the fuzzy leaves; cold water causes unsightly brown spots. Never use soft water.
Carmel's January High Desert Bird of the Month:
Spotted towhees are smaller than a robin, standing at about 8 inches. Like many songbirds the male has striking plumage. His head and upper parts are black. They have a thick pointed, black bill, and fire red eyes. The sides are rufous, and the breast and belly are white. White spots stand out on the black back, and wings. The long tail is black with large white spots at the corners which are visible in flight. The female is similar, but has brown where the male has black.
Spotted towhee's main diet is seeds but they also eat fruit and insects, including ground beetles, weevils, ladybugs, darkling beetles, click beetles, wood-boring beetles, crickets, grasshoppers, caterpillars, moths, bees, and wasps. They also eat acorns, berries, and seeds including buckwheat, thistle, raspberry, blackberry, poison oak, sumac, nightshade, chickweed, and crops such as oats, wheat, corn, and cherries. In fall and winter, these plant foods make up the majority of their diet.
Click here to read the rest of Carmel's informative articles and more on local birds at www.reno.wbu.com.
Sign up there for our monthly Wild Birds Unlimited newsletter.
Bree's Timely Planting Tips
- January is a great time to give your indoor plants some attention.
- Dust Foliage with a damp cloth to prevent clogged leaf pores.
- On cold nights close your curtains or blinds between the window and your house plants to insure they don't get too cold.
- Force Crocus, Hyacinth, Narcissus and Lily of the Valley bulbs into blooming, if you want a splash of color in your home.
10% OFF - Modular Greenhouses Winter Sale!
Extend your seasons or grow year round! Modular Greenhouses are extendable & guaranteed up to 130 mph wind and up to 80lbs per square foot snow load. Visit our Moana Lane or S. Virginia St. stores (and in February visit the relocated Pyramid Way store) to see a demo model of the greenhouse and pick the size right for you. Available in multiple sizes and configurations to fit your needs. Visit modulargreenhouses.com or give us a call at 775.241.4351. Mention Moana to receive an additional 5% off!
Order your greenhouse NOW as the turnaround time increases to 4 to 6 weeks in February.
|Moana Nursery's High Desert Gardener Services for Residential & Business
Winter may be upon us but that doesn't mean your curb appeal needs to go dormant, too. Our Seasonal Color Team specializes in creating custom container designs year round to complement the season. They would also be happy to assist you with a variety of maintenance projects that you may have to keep your home or business looking great during these winter months.
For information or estimates on any of our services, call 825-0602 x134.
- Plant Based Garden Design, Installation and Maintenance
- Specialty Gardens
- Annual Bedding Color
- Custom On-Site Exterior Container Plantings
- Potting Shed Drop-Off Container and Event Services
- Seasonal and Holiday Decorating
We provide three interior plant service programs - - you can buy, rent or lease. For a free consultation with Vicky Ross, interior plant design & maintenance manager, call 825-0602 x 134.
Interior Plant Services:
Commercial, Residential and Custom Resort Projects
Winter ... a great time to plan and get more information.
And ... you can visit any time to get expert gardening information ...
- High Desert Fact Sheets
- Bi-weekly Timely Tips
- Helpful High Desert Videos
- Monthly Newsletters
- Weekly Specials
- High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- And much more ...
An Updated, Local Tool For You ... Moana Nursery's Exclusive High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- Search and explore plants that thrive in our unique climate and region.
- Build wish lists, learn about plant characteristics and find the perfect plants for you and your home.
- Bring your wish list to your favorite Moana Nursery location and our expert staff will help with your choices.
- Upgraded to be even better in 2017.
Seminars return in February. Go to our website or visit our staff ( 3 stores) for high desert answers including many videos.