Better Plants. Better Advice. Better Results.
Moana Lane Garden Center
The Florist, Greenhouse &
1100 W. Moana Lane, Reno
S. Virginia St. Garden Center
Outdoor Living, Tree Land & Moana Rock
11301 S. Virginia St., Reno
Pyramid Hwy. Garden Center Spanish Springs Nursery
7655 Pyramid Hwy., Sparks
Winter Store Hours
Monday - Saturday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
At All three locations Including all 3 Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops
,TreeLand & Moana Rock.
The Florist at Moana Lane is closed Sunday (except the Sunday before Valentine's Day) but great arrangements available in the cooler and orders taken by nursery teammates.
Landscape & Design Center
Water-Wise Irrigation, Hardscapes, Maintenance & Water Features
1190 W. Moana Lane, Reno
775-825-0602 X 134
NV Lic. #3379 A, D, E
CA Lic. #317448
Celebrating 2017 will be especially meaningful at Moana Nursery as we trace our beginnings to the year 1967. Stay tuned for our plans to make our year special for you and us!
Timely, Local High Desert Tips
Now is the Time To ...
- Keep bird feeders full through the winter. Birds grow accustomed to your feeders especially in severe weather when the snacks you offer may mean their very survival. If you leave home for an extended period, a combination of seed cylinders and seed blocs can feed the birds in your absence, or ask a neighbor or friend keep the feeders full.
- Continue to supply fresh water in a heated bird bath or add a de-icer to a frost-proof bird bath to ensure a steady supply of water. To prevent the chance of disease, clean birdbath weekly with a weak bleach solution (1 part bleach to 9 parts water). Rinse well.
- Recycle your Christmas tree at one of Keep Truckee Meadows Beautiful locations: Bartley Ranch Regional Park, Rancho San Rafael Regional Park and Shadow Mountain Sports Complex in Sparks or Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District fire stations #16 Washoe Valley, #17 Spanish Springs, #221 Silver Knolls and #223 Lemmon Valley. Hours: 9 am - 4:30 pm, December 26 - January 16. A $3 minimum donation is recommended. To volunteer sign up at ktmb.org.
- Regularly check plants for signs of damage from ice, snow, wind or animals and lack of winter water. If the soil has heaved plants out of the ground, push the soil back over the roots and apply a three inch layer of mulch, leaving a three inch clearing around the base of the plant to prevent rodents like voles from feeding at the base of the plant.
- Apply Bonide All Seasons Horticultural and Dormant Oil Spray to trees and shrubs to prevent insects when weather permits. Use according to directions.
- Remove heavy snow loads from evergreen branches by gently sweeping snow off with a broom. If branches have been anchored to the ground, gently lift them from underneath with a broom. Avoid beating tree branches with any heavy tools.
- Allow any ice that accumulates on tree branches to melt. Cracking ice with heavy objects should be avoided.
Moana Nursery Rewards Program Members Only Specials:
January 2 - 15, 2017:
15% Savings on All
Suet & No Melt Suet Cakes, Stackables & Cylinders!
January 16 - 31, 2017:
15% Savings on All Pottery!
Offers are limited to full-priced merchandise in stock & expire as noted above.
In-Store Specials at ALL Three Locations!
Attention Moana Nursery Rewards Members:
Rewards Certificates will be mailed out early next week. Please contact us at email@example.com if you think you earned one and don't receive one by January 18th. Remember the amount of your reward is based on retail purchases only from July 1 thru December 30, 2016, with a minimum purchase of $100 to earn a Rewards Certificate.
All certificates expire on February 28, 2017. To view the 2016 brochure and read about eligibility, please click here.
Seeds: Botanical Interest Seed Tape; Organic and Heritage (Heirloom) Seed from Hart Seed Co.
Houseplants: New shipment arrives week of January 9th.
New Scotts® Wizz Battery-Powered Spreader
This quick and easy spreader features Scotts® exclusive EdgeGuard® and HandyLock™ Technology. Use it year-round to feed, seed, weed, and melt! See it here:
New Petrified Logs at Moana Rock
These unique decorative items are millions of years old fossils, transformed from wooden tree trunks which have literally "turned to stone" through the geologic process of petrification.
Petrified logs, ranging in length from 2.5 to 3.5 feet (500 to over 1000 lbs.), just arrived at Moana Rock. They are virtually "nature's sculptures" with a highly desirable combination of colors, textures and patterns imparted by the natural deposition, crystallization and oxidation of minerals like silica, carbon and iron.
These gorgeous specimens make great additions to a landscape, garden or even your home interior. Visit Moana Rock located at our S. Virginia St. location to check them out.
Bree's Houseplant of the Month: Bromeliads
Bring the tropics into your home with a brightly colored bromeliad. These houseplants come in a rainbow of colors, are very hardy and easy to care for. The waxy leaves form a bowl shaped center for catching and storing water. In the wild they become miniature eco systems providing homes for creatures including frogs, salamanders, snails, and many insects.
|Functional and Whimsical Gift Ideas
Warm up your heart this winter with a hot beverage in our whimsical travel mugs with no spill top for travel or removed to use as a regular mug. All are packaged in a beautiful gift box and make a great gift for someone special or yourself - think Valentine's Day. Microwave and dishwasher safe.
Wild Birds Unlimited Freshest Bird Seed in Town
Red Hot Prices - All Month!
- Nyjer 49.99 reg / 39.99 sale
- No Mess DP 36.99 reg / 29.99 sale
Carmel's January Bird of the Month: Yellow-rumped Warbler
How to identify:
Yellow-rumped Warblers are fairly large, full-bodied warblers with a large head, sturdy bill, and long, narrow tail. In summer, both sexes are a smart gray with flashes of white in the wings and yellow on the face, sides, and rump. Males are very strikingly shaded; females are duller and may show some brown. Winter birds are paler brown, with bright yellow rump and usually some yellow on the sides.
In summer, Yellow-rumped Warblers are birds of open coniferous forests and edges, and to a lesser extent deciduous forests. In fall and winter they move to open woods and shrubby habitats, including coastal vegetation, parks, and residential areas.
Click here to read the rest of Carmel's informative articles and more on local birds at www.reno.wbu.com.
Sign up there for our monthly Wild Birds Unlimited newsletter.
Bree's Houseplant Care Tips:
- Most houseplants require less water and much less, if any, fertilizer, because they slow their growth during their semi-dormant winter period. Violets and orchids are the exceptions.
- Monitor houseplants for insect problems that often occur when plants become stressed due to insufficient light, overheated rooms or improper watering and fertilizing techniques.
- Isolate new houseplants or gift plants before adding to your existing plants. Pests to look for include spider mites, scale, mealybugs, whitefly and fungus gnats. Moana recommends Bonide Systemic Houseplant Insect Control, Neem Oil or Insecticidal Soap;use according to their labels.
- Dust the on a plant's leaves can clog their pores; clean leaves with Bonide Leaf Shine, a damp cloth or a quick shower under the tap with room temperature water. Always use room temperature water for watering and misting your houseplants.
- On cold nights be sure to close the curtains or blinds between the window and your houseplants.
February 3-5: Orchid Society of Northern Nevada Show Moana Lane Garden Center
How to Orchid Seminars on February 6th
Friday, Feb. 3: 9 AM - 5 PM
Saturday, Feb. 4: 9 AM - 5 PM
Sunday, Feb. 5: 10 AM -- 2 PM
January 14: Seeds & Seed Starting - Making the Most of Seed Packet Information
Join Horticulture Specialist Heidi Kratsch for a one-hour seed packet tour. Reveal the mysteries of seed packaging terms like hybrid, GMO, open-pollinated, heirloom, organic and more. Uncover the secrets to selecting seeds that best fit your needs and learn great tips to getting them started.
January 21: How to Identify and Attract Neighborhood Birds Join local Audubon Society member and birding expert Alan Gubanich and Moana Nursery's Wild Birds Unlimited manager Caramel Hilton for a mini-course in identification of the birds now visiting your neighborhood andthe best ways to attract them to your yard
January 28: Houseplants
Get your green going! Moana Lane Plant Doctor Lisa Braginton will discuss some of the hows and whys of growing houseplants and review some of the most popular varieties. Gigi Williams, designer extraordinaire, will demonstrate exciting ways to display plants in your home.
All seminars are free and held at Moana Nursery, 1190 W. Moana Lane, in our Landscape and Design Center unless otherwise stated. Seminars begin promptly at 10 a.m. and last one hour unless otherwise noted. Please arrive 15 minutes early as seating is limited to 60 and is first come, first served. Visit www.moananursery.com
or call (775) 825-0602 for more information.
Moana Nursery's High Desert Gardener Services for Residential & Business
Leslie Richardson and her talented team continue to expand their menu of services. Now offering:
Call Leslie today at 825-0602 x134 for free estimate.
- Custom made winter wreaths & swags.
- Custom winter containers for indoors and outdoors.
- Interior winter & new year décor set-up.
Interior Plant Services
We provide three interior plant service programs - you can buy, rent or lease. For a free consultation with Vicky Ross, Interior Plant Design & Maintenance Manager, call 825-0602 x 134. We also specialize in green walls!!!
Visit any time to get expert gardening information ...
- High Desert Fact Sheets
- Bi-weekly Timely Tips
- Helpful High Desert Videos
- Monthly Newsletters
- Weekly Specials
- High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- And much more ...
A New, Local Tool For You ... Moana Nursery's Exclusive High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- Search and explore plants that thrive in our unique climate and region.
- Build wish lists, learn about plant characteristics and find the perfect plants for you and your home.
- Bring your wish list to your favorite Moana Nursery location and our expert staff will help with your choices.