Better Plants. Better Advice. Better Results.
Moana Lane Garden Center
The Florist, Greenhouse &
1100 W. Moana Lane, Reno
S. Virginia St. Garden Center
Outdoor Living, Tree Land & Moana Rock
11301 S. Virginia St., Reno
Pyramid Hwy. Garden Center Spanish Springs Nursery
7655 Pyramid Hwy., Sparks
Winter Store Hours
Monday - Saturday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
At All three locations Including all 3 Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops
,TreeLand & Moana Rock.
The Florist at Moana Lane is closed Sunday (except the Sunday before Valentine's Day) but great arrangements available in the cooler and orders taken by nursery teammates.
Landscape & Design Center
Water-Wise Irrigation, Hardscapes, Maintenance & Water Features
1190 W. Moana Lane, Reno
775-825-0602 X 134
NV Lic. #3379 A, D, E
CA Lic. #317448
Don't forget February 14th! Celebrating 2017 will be especially meaningful at Moana Nursery as we trace our beginnings to the year 1967. Stay tuned for our plans to make our year special for you and us!
Timely, Local High Desert Tips
Now is the Time To ...
birdcount.org for more information and be sure to check out the latest educational and promotional resources.
Participate in the 20th Annual Great Back Yard Bird Count February 17 -20, 2017 - a great family activity! Please visit the official website at
- Put out apple pieces, raisins soaked in water, grapes & other fruit in hanging fruit feeders or open trays to attract American robin, cedar waxwing, finches & mockingbird.
- Provide birds with a supply of high fat, high calorie food like nyjer, peanuts, black oil sunflower seed and suet to help them stay warm. These foods are especially important when there is a heavy snowfall.
- Continue to supply fresh water in a heated bird bath or add a de-icer to a frost-proof bird bath to ensure a steady supply of water.
- Start seeds for spring or summer-blooming annuals, vegetables and perennials. Follow the directions on individual seed packets for requirements for bottom heat, light or darkness. Some seeds might require a short period of chilling before being sown.
- To prevent weeds, apply Bonide Weed Preventer or Amaze pre-emergent herbicide to planting beds when you see early signs of spring such as crocus emerging or the forsythia blooming.
- Prune fruit trees in late February or early March.
- Immediately prune out broken or damaged branches.
- Inspect trees for frost cracks or sunscald injury.
Did you know our Plant Doctors (all certified arborists) offer three horticulture consulting services?
- At-Your-Site Planning, Diagnostic & Design Assistance -- high desert expertise tailored to your property & needs: $125 for first hour; $50 for each additional 30 minute block.
- At-Your-Site House Call for an on-site diagnosis: $50 for 30 minute visit to diagnose a specific issue. Customer need not be present.
- In-Store Consultation: $40 for 30 minute visit - dedicated time with a plant doctor. Bring pictures, plant samples and questions to the store.
For more details, contact the plant doctor at the store nearest you:
Jon Bruyn at 825-0602 x118 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Lisa Braginton at 825-0602 x104 or email@example.com
Moana Nursery Rewards Program Members Only Specials:
- 15% Savings on All Tools - February 1-15, 2017
- 15% Savings on All Seed Starting Supplies* - February 16-28, 2017
*Excludes seeds. Offers are limited to full-priced merchandise on hand & expire as noted above.
Attention Moana Nursery Rewards Members ...
Rewards Certificates were mailed January 9. Think you earned one but didn't get it? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org immediately. Remember, the amount of your reward is based on retail purchases only from July 1 thru December 30, 2016, with a minimum purchase of $100 to earn a Rewards Certificate.
All certificates expire on February 28, 2017.
In-Store Specials at ALL Three Locations!
Orchids: Dendrobium Orchids! Species, types & selections including Nobile, 'Royal Wings', 'Pygmy Chip', Orchid Epidendrum Compact, Thongchai Gold 'Splash' & Orchid Billaria Tropic Lily.
Summer Bulbs: 'Picasso' Calla Lily, 'Sugar Plum' Gladiola, 'Mixed Emotions Blend' Lily, 'Moonlight Sonata' & 'The Phantom' Dahlia.
Veggies: 'Vermillion' Fingerling & 'Purple Majesty' Seed Potatoes.
|Compact Epidendrum Orchid|
|Billaria Tropic Lily Orchid|
| Melody's Valentine Gift Ideas
Think outside the box this Valentine's Day and give your sweetheart a keepsake that she can treasure all year round. Happy Valentine's Day!
Bree's Houseplant of the Month: Orchids
Known for their colorful and often fragrant blooms, orchids offer a spot of color with their exotic looks, brightening snowy, winter days. Many are easy to grow and bloom for months with proper care. Don't miss the orchid show & seminars at Moana Lane February 3-5. Scroll down for details under Upcoming Events/Seminars.
Bree's February Gardening Tips:
- Start lobelia, ageratum, verbena, petunia, vinca and other slow growing plants from seeds indoors later this month.
- Your houseplants may sense our lengthening days and begin growing. If so, you can start feeding them again, but only use a half strength solution of fertilizer until the growth is robust.
Carmel's Wild Birds Unlimited Hot Deal: Window Thermometers
Aspects window thermometers feature vibrant designs on clear acrylic, attractively packaged for year-round gift giving. They feature a uniquely arched top and bottom plus a frosted background behind the scale to ease reading in all lighting conditions.
Reg 24.99 /Sale 18.99 While supplies last
Wild Birds Unlimited Freshest Bird Seed in Town
Red Hot Prices - All Month!
- Deluxe 21.99 / 17.99 Sale
- Sunflower Chips 39.99 / 35.99 Sale
Carmel's February High Desert Bird of the Month: Dark-eyed Junco
How to identify:
The Dark-eyed Junco is a medium-sized sparrow with a rounded head, a short, stout bill and a fairly long, conspicuous tail. Juncos vary across the country, but in general they're dark gray or brown birds brightened up by a pink bill and white outer tail feathers that periodically flash open, particularly in flight.
Dark-eyed Juncos breed in coniferous or mixed-coniferous forests across Canada, the western U.S., and in the Appalachians. During winter you'll find them in open woodlands, fields, parks, roadsides, and backyards.
Click here to read the rest of Carmel's informative articles and more on local birds at www.reno.wbu.com.
Sign up there for our monthly Wild Birds Unlimited newsletter.
Wild Birds Unlimited
Purchase a 20lb bag of Nyjer for a spin to win another Bird product ... try your luck! All month!
Wheel of Fortune - Back By Popular Demand
Upcoming Events & Seminars
February 3-5: Orchid Show
Orchid Society of Northern Nevada Show & Sale - inside Moana Lane Garden Center. Members of the Orchid Society will exhibit some of their rare plants and be available to answer questions about orchids and the orchid society. They will also offer an intriguing selection of orchids for sale.
Friday, Feb. 3: 9 AM -- 5 PM
Saturday, Feb. 4: 9 AM -- 5 PM
Sunday, Feb. 5: 10 AM -- 2 PM
February 4: 10:00 - 11:00 am: Growing Orchids on Your Windowsill
Join OSSN member Peter Gulash for this informative "how to grow" class and learn lots of tips and tricks to grow and bloom beautiful plants in northern Nevada. Some orchids do best in an east-facing window, others are happier facing north, south or west. Learn which orchids will work best in your situation. You don't want to miss this always popular seminar.
February 5: Noon - 1:00 pm: Orchid Potting
Join OSSN member Christine Iwahashi for a demonstration on the best techniques for successfully repotting any species of orchid and a list of supplies you need to successfully repot your plants.
February 11: Cannabis Q&A - A seminar to help us all learn pertinent aspects of medical & recreational marijuana in Nevada
Legal specifics; HR policies/implications in the workplace; growing basics, challenges & issues for personal use. Panelists include Master Cultivator & Extract Artist Alex Taracki and VP of Sales & Business Development Kristin Ehasz with the Cannavative Group; HR Specialist & Partner Diana Albiniao with Solutions at Work: Horticulturist & northern Nevada gardener Dianne Stortz-Lintz. This seminar go from 10 to11:30 AM.
February 18: The Art and Science of Woody Plant Pruning for Beginner to Seasoned Gardeners
We will provide a thorough review of techniques to produce healthy, strong and long-living trees and shrubs. Learn methods to repair broken limbs & storm damage, or simply to restore the natural beauty of your trees and shrubs. This seminar is an excellent source of information to see whether your trees and shrubs are being pruned correctly. Jon Bruyn, one of our Certified Arborists and Plant Doctors with over thirty years' experience in northern Nevada, will present this one hour long seminar.
Questions on a specific plant in your yard? Bring an 8 X 11 paper printed picture of one tree or shrub in your yard; after the seminar Jon will discuss with you how to prune your plant. This will be a first come first service and is limited to one plant.
February 25: Desert Tortoise Adoption & Basic Care
Yes, tortoises can live in the Truckee Meadows! Kym McDonough, the Northern Nevada Adoptions Coordinator for The Tortoise Group, will explain the adoption process for the threatened Mojave Desert tortoise under the authority of US Fish & Wildlife Service and Nevada Department of Wildlife. Learn how to create a tortoise friendly habitat and care for a tortoise in northern Nevada.
All seminars are free and held at Moana Nursery, 1190 W. Moana Lane, in our Landscape and Design Center unless otherwise stated. Seminars begin promptly at 10 a.m. and last one hour unless otherwise noted. Please arrive 15 minutes early as seating is limited to 60 and is first come, first served. Visit www.moananursery.com or call (775) 825-0602 for more information.
Moana Nursery's High Desert Gardener Services for Residential & Business
Our talented team led by Leslie Richardson has expanded their menu of services:
Call Leslie today at 825-0602 x134 for free estimate.
- Custom Containers
- Garden Design, Installation & Maintenance
- Seasonal Color
- Specialty Gardens of all types
Interior Plant Services
We provide three interior plant service programs - you can buy, rent or lease. For a free consultation with Vicky Ross, Interior Plant Design & Maintenance Manager, call 825-0602 x 134. We also specialize in green walls!!!
Visit any time to get expert gardening information ...
- High Desert Fact Sheets
- Bi-weekly Timely Tips
- Helpful High Desert Videos
- Monthly Newsletters
- Weekly Specials
- High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- And much more ...
An Updated, Local Tool For You ... Moana Nursery's Exclusive High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- Search and explore plants that thrive in our unique climate and region.
- Build wish lists, learn about plant characteristics and find the perfect plants for you and your home.
- Bring your wish list to your favorite Moana Nursery location and our expert staff will help with your choices.