Better Plants. Better Advice. Better Results.
Contact Information: Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Moana Lane Garden Center
The Florist, Greenhouse &
1100 W. Moana Lane, Reno
S. Virginia St. Garden Center
Outdoor Living, Tree Land & Moana Rock
11301 S. Virginia St., Reno
Pyramid Hwy. Garden Center
Spanish Springs Nursery
7655 Pyramid Hwy., Sparks
Winter Store Hours
Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sunday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
At All three locations Including all 3 Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops, TreeLand & Moana Rock. The Florist at Moana Lane is closed Sunday but great arrangements available in the cooler and orders taken by nursery teammates.
Landscape & Design Center
Water-Wise Irrigation, Hardscapes, Maintenance & Water Features
1190 W. Moana Lane, Reno
775-825-0602 X 134
NV Lic. #3379 A, D, E
CA Lic. #317448
And Happy Leap Year. Enjoy Every Day & This Extra One Too!
A New, Local Tool For You ... Moana Nursery's Exclusive High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- Search and explore plants that thrive in our unique climate and region.
- Build wish lists, learn about plant characteristics and find the perfect plants for you and your home.
- Bring your wish list to your favorite Moana Nursery location and our expert staff will help with your choices.
Timely, Local High Desert Tips ... Now is the Time To ...
- To prevent weeds, apply Amaze pre-emergent herbicide to planting beds when you see early signs of spring such as crocus emerging or forsythia blooming.
- To control both grassy and broadleaf weeds in lawns, apply Bonide Weedbeater Complete, a pre-emergent and post-emergent, in late February or early March as weather permits.
- Participate in the Great Back Yard Bird Count February 12 - 15th. Visit any Moana Nursery or go to http://gbbc.birdcount.org/get-started.
- Heavy pruning of large woody plants can be done this month as weather permits. Prune large spring flowering trees and shrubs after they bloom.
- Prune fruit trees in late February or early March.
- Apply Bonide All Seasons Horticultural & Dormant Oil to trees and shrubs to prevent insect infestations. Spray three weeks later and before buds swell with Bonide Copper Fungicide or Monterey Liqui-Cop to control leaf diseases such as peach leaf curl and powdery mildew.
Moana Nursery Rewards Program Members Only
- 15% Savings on 12qt. G&B Organics Seed Starter and ALL Weather Guards for Bird Feeders -- February 1 - 15 only.
- 15% Savings on ALL Tools - February 16 - 29 only.
Limited to full-priced stock on hand. Offers
expire as noted.
Attention Moana Nursery Rewards Members:
Please contact us if you think you earned a certificate and didn't receive one. Remember, the amount of your reward is based on retail and landscape purchases from July 1 thru December 30, 2015, with a minimum purchase of $100 to earn a Rewards Certificate.
- Veggies: Seed Potatoes, Onion Bulbs, California Garlic,Horseradish, 'Victoria' Rhubarb, 'Mary Washington' Asparagus.
- Spring Bulbs: 'Vista' & 'Black Beauty' Gladioa; 'Black Charm' Lily; 'Show N' Tell & 'Karma Corona' Dahlias.
- Houseplants: 'Chi Yueh Peach', "Pinlong Memory' & 'Ben Yu Lady'Phalaenopsis Orchids; 'Unsneoides Chiapas' Tillandsia Spanish Moss; 'Houston Lite Pink', 'Tectorum Ecuador' & Hanging UrchinTillandsias.
|Black Charm Lily|
|Karma Corona Dahlias|
|Unsneoides Chiapas Tillandsia Spanish Moss|
|Houston Lite Pink|
|Hanging Urchin Tillandsia|
|Chi Yueh Peach Orchid|
- Fruit Trees, Bare Root Roses, Flowering Almond
- NEW Organocide 3 in 1 Garden Spray - provides protection against a broad spectrum of insects, mites, and disease. Organic and completely non-toxic to bees and other beneficial insects. Link to the study:http://www.yourplantdoctor.com/bee-friendly/
Candy Cane Rose
Meet The Florist at Moana's Newest Designers
Debbie Murray is a Master Floral Designer, Certified Wedding Consultant & Certified Sympathy Consultant. Debbie has done work for President Clinton, US Olympic Trials, The Rose Parade and NCAA Final Four. For 31 years she has been proud to be a part of your special moments providing quality design and excellent customer service.
New to Nevada, Gigi Williams brings over 3 decades of design experience, including extensive work with celebrity clientele in both California and Montana, to the floral team.
She is a certified graduate of world renown Gregor Lersch's European Four Day Design Seminar. Gigi's passion for flowers is expressed in her keen eye for floral trends and magnificent design. If you can dream it, she can design it!
They invite you to visit them at Moana Lane to see for yourself the depth and breadth of their design capabilities and experience customer service at its best.
"If I had a single flower for every time I think about you, I could walk forever in my garden"-- Claudia Ghandi
Remember your special Valentine Sunday February 14th with a custom designed flower arrangement from the Florist at Moana Lane. For best selection order early, call 775-825-0671.
Valentine's Gifts at Moana Lane:
Celebrate anybody you love, not just a significant other - a neighbor, teacher, best friend or family members. Suggestions include a picture frame, mini potted plant, heart box, silver heart, jeweled votive holder, heart hook, and more. Have fun and show someone you care.
Bree's Plant of the Month:
Also known as the moth orchid because its petals resemble moths in flight, its brilliantly colored flowers cascade down slender stems to a compact set of leaves. It grows easily under the same conditions as African Violets and will re-flower in home conditions blooming for many weeks (often months).
Matt's High Desert Shrub of the Month:
'Lynwood Gold' Forsythia
This easy to grow early bloomer lights up spring days with deep golden yellow flowers that completely cover the branches. It is an extremely tough beauty that grows in most conditions requiring only minimal care to thrive for many years.
Carmel's February High Desert Bird of the Month: Dark-eyed Junco
How to identify:
The Dark-eyed Junco is a medium-sized sparrow with a rounded head, a short, stout bill and a fairly long, conspicuous tail. Juncos vary across the country, but in general they're dark gray or brown birds brightened up by a pink bill and white outer tail feathers that periodically flash open, particularly in flight.
|Female Dark-eyed Junco|
Habitat: Dark-eyed Juncos breed in coniferous or mixed-coniferous forests across Canada, the western U.S., and in the Appalachians. During winter you'll find them in open woodlands, fields, parks, roadsides, and backyards.
Click here to read the rest of Carmel's informative articles and more on local birds at www.reno.wbu.com.
Sign up there for our monthly Wild Birds Unlimited newsletter.
Bree's February Planting Tips:
- Plants pushed out of the ground by frost heave should be pressed firmly back into place.
- If you plan to grow lobelia, ageratum, verbena, petunias, vinca or other slow growing plants from seed, start seeds indoors at the end of February.
- Rhubarb, horseradish, and asparagus can all be planted this month.
- Look for our pre-season in-store specials on hardy perennials. Plant them any day that the soil is workable & be sure to amend your soil with G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner and Starter Fertilizer.
February 5, 6 and 7th: Orchid Show
Orchid Society of Northern Nevada Show & Sale - inside Moana Lane Garden Center Members of the Orchid Society will exhibit some of their rare plants and be available to
answer questions about orchids and the orchid society. They will also offer an intriguing selection of orchids for sale.
Friday, Feb. 5: 9 AM - 5 PM
Saturday, Feb. 6: 9 AM - 5 PMSunday, Feb. 7: 10 AM -- 2 PM
February 6 from 10:00 - 11:00 am: Orchid Growing Basics
Trying to re-bloom your orchid with no success? Attend this informative "how to grow" class and learn lots of tips and tricks to grow and bloom beautiful plants in northern Nevada! The hardest thing about orchids is choosing a color! You don't want to miss this always popular seminar.
February 7 from Noon to 1:00 pm: Orchid Potting
Demonstration on the best techniques for successfully repotting any species of orchid. This is a demonstration only this year, no on-site repotting. Moana Nursery has a wide range of all the supplies you will need to successfully repot your plants.
February: 13: No Seminar (Happy Valentine's Weekend)
February 20: The Art and Science of Woody Plant Pruning: For beginner to advanced gardeners, we will provide a thorough review of techniques to produce healthy, strong and long-living trees and shrubs. Learn methods to repair broken limbs & storm damage, or simply to restore the natural beauty of your trees and shrubs. This seminar is an excellent source of information to see whether your trees and shrubs are being pruned correctly. Jon Bruyn, one of our Certified Arborists and Plant Doctors with over thirty years' experience in northern Nevada, will present this one hour long seminar.
Questions on a specific plant in your yard? Bring an 8 X 11 paper printed picture of one tree or shrub in your yard; after the seminar Jon will discuss with you how to prune your plant. This will be a first come first serviced and limited to one plant.
February 27: Reno Raptor Rapture Join UNR doctoral student Justin White, of the Reno Hawk Project, as he reviews the results of his study of Red-tailed hawks that live in urban areas of the Truckee Meadows region. Since last April, White and a team of interns have monitored Reno and Sparks' Red-tail hawk nests with cameras, spotting-scopes and binoculars, trying to learn more about where urban hawks live, what they eat, and how they coexist with humans.
Now at the end of the first season of the project, he will be presenting the results of the study along with photos he collected last spring. Come join us for an exciting presentation on the hawks that live among us.All seminars are free and held at Moana Nursery, 1190 W. Moana Lane in our Landscape & Design Center unless otherwise stated. Seminars begin at 10 AM and last one hour. Seating is limited to 60 and is first come, first served. Visit www.moananursery.com or call 775-825-0600 for more information.
Winter Plan & Plant
Now is the perfect time to use our Plan & Plant resource to easily design and get expert assistance for those dreams and changes you have for your yard. Take a look and see if it inspires you
... we all can be "landscape designers" with these simple tools.
Our website is filled with local gardening & landscaping advice to make you a green industry, high desert expert.