Better Plants. Better Advice. Better Results.
Moana Lane Garden Center
The Florist, Greenhouse &
1100 W. Moana Lane, Reno
S. Virginia St. Garden Center
Outdoor Living, Tree Land & Moana Rock
11301 S. Virginia St., Reno
Pyramid Hwy. Garden Center Spanish Springs Nursery
7655 Pyramid Hwy., Sparks
(Closed Christmas, New Year's Eve & New Year's ... 25th, 31st & 1st)
Monday - Saturday: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
At All three locations Including all 3 Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops
,TreeLand & Moana Rock.
The Florist at Moana Lane is closed Sunday but great arrangements available in the cooler and orders taken by nursery teammates.
Landscape & Design Center
Water-Wise Irrigation, Hardscapes, Maintenance & Water Features
1190 W. Moana Lane, Reno
775-825-0602 X 134
NV Lic. #3379 A, D, E
CA Lic. #317448
Wishing you all the best this holiday season!!!
We will be closed Christmas Day, New Year's Eve & New Year's Day.
Visit our Spanish Springs store on Pyramid Hwy. the next two (3rd & 10th) Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., to meet the Clydesdales. Bring the camera for a picture perfect holiday photo of these magnificent horses from Redd Barney. Also visit the Boy Scouts for a Christmas Tree or start a new tradition of a Living Christmas Tree at home.
Timely, Local High Desert Tips
Now is the Time To ...
- Back yard birds can use help in the winter:
- Put out a heated birdbath to ensure a steady supply of water; they still need to bathe even in winter to keep their feathers conditioned for insulation and flight.
- Offer compressed seed cakes & cylinders to give birds a steady supply of food even in the worst weather and when you're out of town.
- Keep your holidays merry, bright and SAFE for everyone by keeping in mind Pet Safety Tips for toxic plants, holiday decorations and more. Click here for tips.
- When choosing a live cut Christmas tree, select one with needles that don't drop off when the tree is raised a few inches and dropped to the ground. The bottom of the stump should be moist with some sap present. Cut two inches off the stump and immediately plunge tree into a bucket of warm water & add SuperThrive to bucket and every watering. Click here for Moana's Fresh Cut Christmas Tree Care sheet.
- Living Christmas trees should be kept inside the home no more than 10 days. Spray with Bonide Wilt Stop before bringing indoors to prevent drying out. Place tree away from all heat sources - fireplaces, space heaters, vents, electrical appliances & televisions. Water daily with SuperThrive (1/4 tsp./gal). Use a saucer to collect water. Decorate with LED lights which give off minimal heat & are energy efficient. Click here for Moana's Living Christmas Tree Care sheet.
- To protect the bark of young and older trees that may be susceptible to winter sunscald & frost damage to the south and southwest sides of their bark, wrap trunks in the coldest months of the year. Use Dalen Protective Tree Wrap from a few inches above the ground to just below the lowest limbs. This will help prevent damage from extreme cold and temperature fluctuations from late December thru mid-March.
- Recycle your Christmas tree at one of Keep Truckee Meadows Beautiful locations: Bartley Ranch Regional Park, Rancho San Rafael Regional Park & Shadow Mountain Sports Complex in Sparks or Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District fire stations #16 Washoe Valley, #17 Spanish Springs, #221 Silver Knolls and #223 Lemmon Valley. Hours: 9 am - 4:30 pm, December 26 - January 16. A $3 minimum donation is recommended. To volunteer sign up at ktmb.org.
Moana Nursery Rewards Program Members Only Specials:
December 1 - 15, 2016:
15% Savings on All Christmas Ornaments!
Applies to full-priced stock on hand.
December 16 - 30, 2016:
15% Savings on All Houseplants!
Applies to full-priced stock on hand.
In-Store Specials at ALL Three Locations!
Living Christmas Trees: Norway Spruce, Alberta Spruce, Black Hills Spruce, Baby Blue Spruce.
Christmas Cactus, 'Algerian Lemon' Ivy, Norfolk Island Pine, Lemon Cypress, Rosemary Cone, Poinsettias in many colors.
| Karma's Outdoor Noel Wreaths & Garland with LED Lights & Timers
Our battery operated warm white LED decorated wreaths & garlands are the highest quality commercial grade decorations available. They are designed for an elegant look with multiple tip designs, red berries, and pine cones. All have a timer that can be turned on for six hours and off for eighteen hours and are guaranteed to provide holiday cheer season after season.
| The Florist at Moana Celebrates December!
As the holiday season approaches our talented floral designers love to make beautiful flowers a part of your life. We offer a large selection of evergreen centerpieces, wreaths and fresh stems to create lasting memories of the holiday season. We can also deliver poinsettias and custom gourmet baskets. If you are searching for a thoughtful and unique gift, we are happy to assist you in making the perfect choice.
|Debbie's High Desert Shrub of the Month:|
'Baileyi' Redtwig Dogwood
It's reddish stems turn bright red in the winter and are particularly showy against a snowy backdrop. It is a low-maintenance shrub tolerant of a wide range of soils and attractive to birds and butterflies. Lovely when used as a companion plant with evergreen trees.
Bree's Plant of the Month: Christmas Cactus
Looking for something different than a poinsettia this holiday season? Consider a Christmas Cactus. This easy care succulent blooms from November - January providing a great splash of color -- red, pink, purple and white. It's easy to take care of and will bloom every year.
Carmel's December High Desert Bird of the Month:
Scientific name: Zonotrichia leucophrys
How to identify:
White-crowns are a large sparrow with a long tail. They are easy to identify with the crisp black and white crown stripes of the adults and their pink or yellow bill. First winter (immature) birds sport buff and brown head stripes. White-crowned sparrows are one of the few birds you will hear singing in the winter; the song is described as a series of clear whistles followed by buzzy notes. Female birds will sometimes sing, also. This bird spends the summer on tundra or in boreal forests of Canada and Alaska. During summer they supplement a seed diet with insects, grains and fruit.
Another winter resident is the Golden-crowned Sparrow. In summer Golden-crowns have a black crown with a fiery gold forehead. In winter, when we are more likely to see them, their colors are more muted, with a brown head and paler yellow on the crown.
White-crowned Sparrows breed in open or shrubby habitats, including tundra, high alpine meadows, and forest edges. Patches of bare ground and grasses are important characteristics. During winter and on migration these birds frequent thickets, weedy fields, agricultural fields, roadsides, and backyards.
Click here to read the rest of Carmel's informative articles and more on local birds at www.reno.wbu.com.
Sign up there for our monthly Wild Birds Unlimited newsletter.
Carmel's Featured Bird Product:
Make your own suet cakes at home with recycled fat from everyday cooking! Easy recipes that your backyard birds will LOVE!!
You Do It Suet Kits.
Moana Nursery's High Desert Gardener Services for Residential & Business
Leslie Richardson and her talented team continue to expand their menu of services. Now offering:
Call Leslie today at 825-0602 x134 for free estimate.
- Custom made holiday wreaths & swags
- Custom Christmas containers for indoors and outdoors
- Interior holiday décor set-up
Interior Plant Services
We provide three interior plant service programs - you can buy, rent or lease. For a free consultation with Vicky Ross, Interior Plant Design & Maintenance Manager, call 825-0602 x 134. We also specialize in green walls!!!
Stop by our Moana Lane or Pyramid Highway locations to pick out the perfect cut Christmas tree and support your local Boy Scouts.
- When choosing a Christmas tree, select one with firm needles that don't drop off when the tree is raised up a few inches and dropped to the ground.
- The bottom of the stump should be moist with some sap present. Cut two inches of the stump and immediately plunge tree into a bucket of warm water with SuperThrive added.
Make sure the stand is full of water each day. If left without water, the tree will form a seal which prevents it from taking up any water. Add SuperThrive to every watering.
All proceeds go to local Boy Scout troops. Begins Friday, November 26th.
Salvation Army - make a donation to the red kettle located near the cash register to help those in need.
Visit any time to get expert gardening information ...
- High Desert Fact Sheets
- Bi-weekly Timely Tips
- Helpful High Desert Videos
- Monthly Newsletters
- Weekly Specials
- High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- And much more ...
A New, Local Tool For You ... Moana Nursery's Exclusive High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- Search and explore plants that thrive in our unique climate and region.
- Build wish lists, learn about plant characteristics and find the perfect plants for you and your home.
- Bring your wish list to your favorite Moana Nursery location and our expert staff will help with your choices.