Better Plants. Better People.
Contact Information: Email us at: customerservice@ moananursery.com
Moana Lane Garden Center
The Florist, Greenhouse &
1100 W. Moana Lane, Reno
S. Virginia St. Garden Center
Outdoor Living, Tree Land & Moana Rock
11301 S. Virginia St., Reno
Pyramid Hwy. Garden Center**
Spanish Springs Nursery
7655 Pyramid Hwy., Sparks
Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
All three locations Including all 3 Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops, TreeLand & Moana Rock. **Pyramid Hwy. store closed on Thursday & closes at 5 pm. The Florist at Moana Lane is closed Sunday but great arrangements available in the cooler and orders taken by nursery teammates.
Landscape & Design Center
Water-Wise Irrigation, Hardscapes, Maintenance & Water Features
1190 W. Moana Lane, Reno
775-825-0602 X 134
NV Lic. #3379 A, D, E
CA Lic. #317448
Decorated for Christmas & the Holidays!
Living Christmas trees and cut trees from the Boy Scouts at Moana Lane & Pyramid Hwy. 30% Savings
on all full priced Christmas ornaments. Here is a quick look at all our December specials
with more detail below.
Moana Nursery Rewards Members Only Special
20% Savings on All Houseplants ... including all poinsettias and more.
Limited to stock on hand. Discounts on regular retail price.
|Timely, Local High Desert Tips ... Now is the Time To ...
Store your drained hoses in the garage so that you can use easily to water your lawn, trees, shrubs, containers and newly planted perennials should we not get precipitation during this month and throughout the winter.
- To protect the bark of young trees and older trees that may be susceptible to winter sunscald & frost damage to the south and southwest sides of their bark, wrap their bark in the coldest months of the year. Use Dalen Protective Tree Wrap, a light colored and flexible tree wrap from a few inches above the ground to just below the lowest limbs. From late December through mid-March this will help prevent damage from extreme cold and fluctuations in temperature.
- Appropriate winter watering and good mulching practices will further ensure the health of your trees through some of our most difficult months.
- When choosing a live cut Christmas tree, select one with needles that don't drop off when the tree is raised up a few inches and dropped to the ground. The bottom of the stump should be moist with some sap present. Cut two inches off the stump and immediately plunge tree into a bucket of warm water. Add SuperThrive to every watering. Click here for Moana's Fresh Cut Christmas Tree Care Fact Sheet.
- Considering a living Christmas tree? Before purchasing, determine where you will plant it and ensure that the site you select has adequate room for it to grow to maturity - being sure it will not grow into power lines. Also know that a living tree should be kept indoors no more than 10 days. Click here for complete Care and Planting of Living Christmas trees.
- Poinsettias require bright light away from heating vents, fireplaces and drafty windows or doors. Maintain even moisture; plants will wilt dramatically if allowed to dry out. Avoid getting water on the leaves. Click here for Poinsettia Care Sheet.
- To protect broadleaf evergreens like rhododendron and photinia planted in exposed areas from drying winds, apply Bonide Wilt Stop this month and again in January and February.
- Venus fly traps start turning black this time of year; don't throw yours away - it's just entering dormancy! Continue to lightly water your plant keeping it moist and set it in a south facing window so it can continue to keep getting light.
From the Florist at Moana
Make someone's Christmas special - send a beautiful holiday arrangement or custom gift basket. How about a gorgeous fresh wreath for your front door? We customize them to fit your décor. Don't wait until the last minute to order, call 775-825-0671 today.
Holiday Gifts & Stocking Stuffers
- Poinsettias: an enormous selection of sizes and colors plus Christmas cactus, anthuriums, violets, hydrangeas, azaleas and more.
- Christmas greens: wreaths, swags, garland and cut branches.
- Amaryllis & paperwhites: hurry in, these are going fast.
- For the birds: Christmas seed bells and shapes, Preston the Penguin, Buttons the Snowman and snowman peanut feeders.
Bree's Greenhouse Plant of the Month: Anthurium
Bring home an elegant tropical anthurium. Adorned with shiny foliage and a variety of flower colors. This indoor plant is a sure way to "deck your halls" this Christmas.
December Bird Of the Month: Mountain Chickadee
How to identify: Tiny, large-headed but small-billed, with a long, narrow tail and full, rounded wings, strikingly black-and-white on the head, gray elsewhere. The white stripe over the eye identifies Mountain Chickadees from all other chickadees. Active and acrobatic, clinging to small limbs and twigs or hanging upside down from pine cones. In winter, Mountain Chickadees flock with kinglets and nuthatches, with birds following each other one by one from tree to tree.
Habitat: Dry, mountainous forests of the West. The similar Black-capped Chickadee often occurs along streams and in broad-leaved trees, while Mountain Chickadees stick to the evergreens on higher slopes.
Click here for the rest of Carmel's informative articles & local birds at www.reno.wbu.com . Sign up there for our monthly Wild Birds Unlimited Newsletter and more.
Gail's Plant of the Month: Dracaena
Looking for a great plant to decorate your home or office that needs a low light situation with very little maintenance?
Think about a plant from the dracaena family. These plants come in a multitude of shapes and sizes and require a thorough drenching that needs to dry out in-between watering. The 'Limelight' Dracaena comes in a neon green to brighten your dark corner or the traditional corn plant comes with a thick cane plant called the 'Masssangeana' Dracaena. Whatever your personal taste, you can't go wrong.
Matt's Tree of the Month:
'Ruby Tears' Crabapple
This highly ornamental and hardy small tree works well as a focal point in mixed planting beds or planted in a large pot. Ruby Tears greets spring with bright pink flowers and its gracefully weeping branches are cloaked with lustrous burgundy-green leaves all season long.
You can easily spread the holiday cheer this season by embellishing your home with our unique and festive holiday decorations and ornaments. These also make great hostess gifts.
Moana Nursery Celebrates Wild Birds Unlimited 10th Anniversary in Northern Nevada
Save on 20# Wild Birds Seed
$2 on Deluxe & Dove Deluxe
$3 on Nyjer & No Mess DP
Offer expires December 15, 2014
Moana Nursery Donates 20% to Nevada Humane Society
Give the gift of a tool for the gardener in your life & the gift of mulch for your garden - 30% water savings by mulching 3".
Moana Nursery will donate 20% of these purchases to the Nevada Humane Society.....everyone wins!
Red Hots ... thru 12/15
on ALL Outdoor Plants, Fountains & Spring Bulbs* - - All Sizes & Types* & 50% off #1 Containers
*excludes Evergreen Christmas Trees, paperwhites and amaryllis bulbs.
Home Improvement Specials
#15 'Cardinal Royal' Mountain Ash (reg. $112) ... $59
#5 'Little Princess' Spiraea (reg. $29) ... $15 See our December "End of Season" Specials here
Premium Packsaddle Pellets - $6.99/40lb bag - while supplies last
20% Savings on Walk-on Bark and Flagstone
We are located right behind the Garden Center on South Virginia St. and are open 7 days a week. Call us at 775-853-1319 x 3.
- Walk-on bark is a great mulch for trees, shrubs, perennials and small fruits; it creates a favorable environment for earth worms and soil microorganisms. And tt can reduce water requirements up to 30%.
- Sunset Gold, Sunset Silver & Mesquite Charcoal flagstone, in the ¾-1 ¼ size, are perfect for walkways and patios.
- Need bulk material for your landscape project? We can deliver and spread!
|Gail's Gardening Tip: |
Planning for next year's garden starts in December at my house. We begin by marking our seed packs with our scheduled planting dates for starting inside the house on heating mats to help germinate seeds for future harvests. In seed starting, timing is everything, so having the seeds and seed starting supplies on hand will help you get started.
Now is the time to commit to planning next seasons garden. Whether you are doing a large garden or a small container of greens, get excited and grab some seeds. We carry and restock our seeds 12 months a year so you can extend your harvest by starting earlier in 2015. Seeds also make that thoughtful, custom gift for someone special on your list.
Moana Nursery proudly supports these local non-profits, especially in December:
Nevada Humane Society Giving Trees & Calendars - take an ornament off our NHS tree and bring an item or two listed on it back to Moana Nursery or purchase a 2015 calendar with photos of local police and darling dogs.
Salvation Army - make a donation to the red kettle located near the cash register to help those in need.
Stop by our Moana Lane or Pyramid Highway locations to pick out the perfect Christmas tree and support your local Boy Scouts. Here are some tips for choosing the best Christmas tree:
When choosing a Christmas tree, select one with firm needles that don't drop off when the tree is raised up a few inches and dropped to the ground. The bottom of the stump should be moist with some sap present. Cut two inches of the stump and immediately plunge tree into a bucket of warm water. Make sure the stand is full of water each day. If left without water, the tree will form a seal which prevents it from taking up any water. Add SuperThrive to every watering.
Winter Plan & Plant
Now is the perfect time to use our Plan & Plant resource to easily design and get expert assistance for those dreams and changes you have for your yard. Take a look and see if it inspires you ... we all can be "landscape designers" with these simple tools.
Looking for ways to reduce your water usage by 10% or more next spring?
Call 825-0602 x 134 to ask how we can tune up your irrigation system, or for more savings, ask about our Easy Turf ... truly superior artificial grass - - no watering.
Water Saving Lawn Hint ... Keep your grass longer this fall and "step on it" to see if it springs back. If it does, you don't need more water.
Interior Plant Services - Resort at Squaw Creek
Commercial, Residential and Custom Resort Projects by Vicky Ross
Custom centerpiece with a mix of live and artificial plants designed for low light and minimal maintenance.
Call (775) 825-0602 ext.134 for more information.