Better Plants. Better Advice. Better Results.
Contact Information: Email us at: email@example.com
Moana Lane Garden Center
The Florist, Greenhouse &
1100 W. Moana Lane, Reno 775-825-0600
S. Virginia St. Garden Center
Outdoor Living, Tree Land & Moana Rock
11301 S. Virginia St., Reno
Pyramid Hwy. Garden Center Spanish Springs Nursery
7655 Pyramid Hwy., Sparks
Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
At All three locations Including all 3 Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops, TreeLand & Moana Rock. The Florist at Moana Lane is closed Sunday but great arrangements available in the cooler and orders taken by nursery teammates.
Landscape & Design Center
Water-Wise Irrigation, Hardscapes, Maintenance & Water Features
1190 W. Moana Lane, Reno
775-825-0602 X 134
NV Lic. #3379 A, D, E
CA Lic. #317448
|Timely, Local High Desert Tips ...
Now is the Time To ...
Root Weevils are back - gnawing on numerous shrubs & peonies - you'll know you have them by their tell-tale notching of the leaves. To control, treat with a combination of Bonide Systemic Granule Insect Control with Bonide Eight. Make a note to apply Beneficial Nematodes next spring to control the weevils in their larval stage.
Ants have been reported by many as being a huge nuisance inside and outside - especially on patios & walkways. Treat with Bonide Ant, Roach, & Spider Killer Spray or Bonide Revenge Ant Killer according to directions.
- Heat stressed trees will drop some leaves to conserve moisture. Additional watering and mulching will help somewhat in this situation
- Mulch, mulch, mulch with G&B Organics SBC, Compost or Planting Mixes.
- Feed roses for third and final time in early August with G&B Organics Rose and Flower Fertilizer. Do not fertilize after August 15th.
- Monitor newly planted trees and shrubs for insects or disease. Succulent new growth is often the first area to be attacked by insects.
- Pruning is generally not advised this month with the exception of shrubs that have just flowered; prune immediately following their flowering.
- Deep root water apple trees throughout the season to ensure maximum fruit production. Remove fruit infested with codling moths from tree and pick up any that has dropped on the ground promptly; discard in trash to reduce codling moth population.
Trees, Shrubs & Grasses: 'Burgundy Belle' Maple, Blue Oat Grass, 'Little Devil' Ninebark, 'Kwanzan' Flowering Cherry; 'Skywalker' Boxwood.
Perennials (plant once and enjoy year after year): 'Sizzling Igloo' Hardy Mum, 'Hot Papaya' Echinacea, 'Dazzleberry' Sedum, 'May Night' Salvia.
Annuals (need to plant every year): 'Charmed Wine' Oxalis, 'Yerba Buena' Clinopodium douglasii.Indoor Plants: 'San Pedro' Cactus, 'Fangmei Sweet Red' Orchid, 'Sunny Star' Croton.
|Kwanzan Flowering Cherry Cherry|
|Yerba Buena Clinopodium douglasil|
|Fangmei Sweet Red Orchid|
|The Florist at Moana Announces New Weekly Special|
Please join us for "Cut Flower Happy Hour" every Friday from 4:00-6:00 pm to enjoy 20% savings on cash and carry wrapped flower bouquets. We will happily wrap your selection of beautiful blooms or design a custom flower wrap for you. From a single rose to a special European style wrap, the Florist at Moana Nursery can make anyone's day special.
Bree's Plant of the Month: Coneflower (Echinacea)
Echinacea is the prefect perennial (plant once and enjoy year after year) for sunny locations. Each produces masses of eye catching blossoms in mid-summer that last through the remainder of the season. Boasting a wide range of colors and flowering types, Echinacea is a great pollinator plant for bees and butterflies.
| Matt's High Desert Tree of the Month:
'Sherwood's Compact' Bristlecone Pine
This dwarf selection of the Great Basin native grows slowly to just four feet in fifteen years making it an excellent choice for a container garden or for a special spot in a collection of evergreens. This tough little tree withstands extreme heat and cold and it is quite drought tolerant when established.
August Special ...
ALL Hanging Baskets
Perfect for outdoor decorating and backyard entertaining!
|Bree's August Plant Tips:
- Check hanging baskets and containers daily -- be sure to water thoroughly and deeply each time you water.
- Remove dead flowers on your annuals and perennials to encourage more flowering.
- Continue harvesting herbs to use fresh, dry, or freeze in small batches in ice cube tray. Pinch off developing flowers to retain essential oils and flavor in the plant's foliage.
High Desert Landscape Specials*
Better Plants. Better Results.
#15 'Autumn Blaze' Maple (reg. $132).
#15 'Snowdrift' Flowering Crabapple (reg. $132).
#5 'Goldfinger' Potentilla (reg. $32).
#3 'Rose Glow' Barberry (reg. $29).
8.8 lb. Gro-Power Plus (reg. $24,99).
ALL 20% Off!
*Applies to full-priced Moana-grown trees & shrubs in stock.
| Carmel's Wild Birds Unlimited Eco Tough Feeders ...
made from 5/8" poly lumber proudly made from recycled plastic and milk jugs in the U.S.; lifetime guarantee to never crack, split or fade. Aluminum rust-resistant continuous hinges; stainless steel screws.
Carmel's August High Desert Bird of the Month: Black-headed Grosbeak
How to identify:
Black-headed Grosbeak is a spring and summer visitor in our area, and winters in Mexico. Breeding males are a rich orange-cinnamon with a black head and black and white wings. Females and immatures are brown above with warm orange or buff on the breast. In flight, look for the beautiful bright yellow under the wings. Their bills are large and conical like other grosbeaks.
Habitat preferences are very diverse; they may be found from mixed woodlands, mountain forests, thickets along desert streams, to gardens and backyards. Ideal habitat seems to be a combination of large trees and a rich understory. Preferred nesting sites are in the outer branches of small trees or a bush near a stream. Oxbow Nature Study Area is a good place in Reno to look for them during nesting season.
Click here to read the rest of Carmel's informative articles and more on local birds at www.reno.wbu.com.
Sign up there for our monthly Wild Birds Unlimited newsletter.
Karma's Featured Insect Control Products:
- Bonide Mosquito Beater Granular Area Mosquito Repellent is all natural, field tested formula. Effectively repels for up to 3 weeks. Non-toxic, biodegradable and pleasantly scented.
- Bonide Mosquito Beater Water Soluble Pouches control mosquito larvae and will not harm fish, amphibians or other beneficial aquatic organisms.
Moana Nursery's High Desert Gardener Services for Residential & Business
Our talented team led by Leslie Richardson has expanded their menu of services:
- Garden Design, Installation & Maintenance
- Specialty Gardens of all types
Call 825-0602 x134 for free estimate.
Interior Plant Services
We provide three interior plant service programs - you can buy, rent or lease. For a free consultation with Vicky Ross, Interior Plant Design & Maintenance Manager, call 825-0602 x 134.
August 18: Raise the River Fundraiser - - A Sensory Experience to benefit KTMB
Music plus five sensory stations themed for taste, smell, sight, touch & sound will offer food and drink paired to each sense. Moana Nursery is sponsoring the Sense of Smell..
5:30 -- 9 PM Sensory Garden in Idlewild Park, Reno ... tickets at ktmb.org/raisetheriver
Seminars return in September 10th.
Visit any time to get expert gardening information ...
- High Desert Fact Sheets
- Bi-weekly Timely Tips
- Helpful High Desert Videos
- Monthly Newsletters
- Weekly Specials
- High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- And much more - Here's one ...
A New, Local Tool For You ... Moana Nursery's Exclusive High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- Search and explore plants that thrive in our unique climate and region.
- Build wish lists, learn about plant characteristics and find the perfect plants for you and your home.
- Bring your wish list to your favorite Moana Nursery location and our expert staff will help with your choices.
Plan & Plant tool for you!
Now is the perfect time to use our Plan & Plant resource to easily design and get expert assistance for those dreams and changes you have for your yard. Take a look and see if it inspires you
... we all can be "landscape designers" with these simple tools.
Our website is filled with local gardening & landscaping advice to make you comfortable gardening and landscaping in our high desert.