Better Plants. Better People.
Contact Information: Email us at: customerservice@ moananursery.com
Moana Lane Garden Center
The Florist, Greenhouse &
1100 W. Moana Lane, Reno
S. Virginia St. Garden Center
Outdoor Living, Tree Land & Moana Rock
11301 S. Virginia St., Reno
Pyramid Hwy. Garden Center
Spanish Springs Nursery
7655 Pyramid Hwy., Sparks
Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
All three locations Including The Florist at Moana Lane, all 3 Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops, TreeLand & Moana Rock
Landscape & Design Center
Water-Wise Irrigation, Hardscapes, Maintenance & Water Features
1190 W. Moana Lane, Reno
775-825-0602 X 134
NV Lic. #3379 A, D, E
CA Lic. #317448
|Grow More Orchid Food|Helpful Links:Sign up for Nature News -
Moana Nursery is on Facebook!
Click the link and become a fan!
Become a Fan Now!
Nature News e-Newsletter
the Wild Birds Unlimited e-Newsletter from Moana Nursery HERE
|Dr. Earth Hose Ready Liquid Organic Fertilizers|
|Weeping Blue Atlas Cedar|
|Captain Jack's DeadBug Brew|
|Dramm Hoses - guarnateed|
|Tanglefoot Codling Moth Traps|
|Bonide Bug & Slug Killer|
|HydroFarm Light, Moisture & pH Meter|
|Bonide Bon-Neem II|
|Wilco Squirrel Bait|
|Fruit Trees On Sale|| |
Attention Moana Nursery Rewards Program Members ...
We're pleased to announce a new perk for Moana Rewards Members:
Every two weeks we'll have a special offer for Rewards Members only, starting this month with our 15% savings on bird feeders. (See below for details.)
Rewards certificates were mailed July 9; if you believe you earned one and have not received it, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember, certificates expire August 31st, so be sure to redeem yours by that date!
To view the 2014 brochure and read about eligibility, please click here. Not yet a Rewards member, come in to register.
Timely, Local High Desert Tips ... Now is the Time To ...
Ants have been reported by many as being a huge nuisance inside (even in dishwashers) and outside - especially on patios & walkways. Treat with Bonide Ant, Roach & Spider Killer Spray or Bonide Revenge Ant Killer according to directions.
- Voluntary 10% water reduction is now in effect; follow these tips to conserve water and be kind to your plants:
- Water infrequently but deeply - not frequently and lightly. Click here for How to Water Wisely for Healthy Plants.
- Mulch, mulch, mulch with SBC or Dr. Earth Compost & Planting Mixes.
- Inspect your irrigation system for leaks, clogged emitters, broken/clogged heads and other problems. Remember to adjust emitters out from the trunk or base of your plants as they grow.
- Brown spots in lawns could be a sign of a pest, but more likely this widespread problem is caused by summer scorching from early heat or lack of water from an improperly designed or malfunctioning irrigation system. Call 825-0602 x134 to schedule an irrigation system tune-up with our irrigation technician.
- If you have dark sunken bottoms on your tomatoes, peppers or squash, treat with Bonide Rot Stop.
- Fertilize lawns with a sustained release fertilizer like Dr. Earth Lawn Fertilizer.
Moana Rewards Members Only
15% Savings on *ALL Bird Feeders
Now is the time to refresh your backyard bird feeders before winter gets here. Includes seed, thistle, peanut, mealworm, suet and nectar style feeders. Limited to stock on hand, so come early for best selection.
*Excludes APS hardware & hooks, feeder accessories and seed/suet products. Offer expires August 15, 2014.
New Fountains for Patio and Landscape
Beautiful fountains now on display at all 3 stores - find the one that's just right for you! Shop now for best selection!
Whimsical and Functional Garden Art
Having trouble with those cute little rabbits in your garden? Did you know that pinwheels in your garden do not only add color and movement but they also help in keeping rabbits away? Rabbits are very skittish and will be frightened by the pinwheel's movement. We have a variety from pinwheels from wind chimes that can hang from a tree or arbor to garden stakes.
The Florist at Moana Nursery
In honor of Hot August Nights, we offer our Ford truck floral arrangement - great for any car lover OR...Beautiful, summer fresh bouquets, ready for pick-up or delivery. We also customize gorgeous arrangements for all occasions. Stop on in or give us a call at 775-825-0671.
Gail's Plant of the Month:
aka Hummingbird Mint
This hardy perennial is drought tolerant and rabbit-resistant, brings in the hummingbirds and comes in colorful reds, oranges, purples and pinks. Plant with Russian sage and California fuchsia for a trio of plants to make a perfect drought tolerant garden that also feeds the birds and the bees
Matt's Tree of the Month:
'Hot Wings' Maple
This is the perfect maple for sunny, small spaces. 'Hot Wings' is a cold-hardy and drought tolerant beauty that has a graceful and upright growth habit, bright red samaras in summer and rich yellow to red fall color.
Red Hots ...
- #1 Rudbeckia $3.99 (reg. $9.99). Limit 3 while supplies last.
Deer and rabbit resistant, reseeds in the garden, long lasting blooms through fall.
- Did you know....3" of mulch reduces water usage by 30%? Our #1 Seller ...
We want to help you save water, money and be kind to your plants!
Gardner & Bloome SBC 3 cu.ft. $9.99 ea. (reg. $12.99)
20% Savings on All Water-Wise Trees & Shrubs - See our High Desert List Here.
Home Improvement Specials:
#15 'Sunburst' Honeylocust, (reg. $112)
| |Trish's Product Pick of the Month: Dramm Watering Tools
Water your lawn and plants with these durable tools made in fun, bright colors. Guaranteed for life!
Gail's Gardening Tip: Fall Gardening
Countdown for fall edible gardens is here....now is the time to start a container or garden for fall. Start your cool weather plantings by using shade cloth and row covers to cool down the soil and protect seeds and starts from bugs and harsh sun. Remember when using these covers you must monitor daily to ensure all is well under the covers.
Organic vegetables and herbs are in stock at all 3 stores, so PLANT SOMETHING EDIBLE for better nutrition and more importantly better taste for you and your family
August High Desert Bird of the Month:
Bluebirds - Western & Mountain
Bluebirds are found throughout North America including the Eastern, Western and Mountain Bluebirds. All bluebirds are cavity nesters and will use an artificial nest box. Habitat and nest cavities had been disappearing for many years, but bluebirds have made an incredible come back due to thousands of bluebird nest boxes being installed across the country. Nesting occurs from March through August. Only the female incubates the four to six eggs which she maintains at a temperature of 98 - 100ºF. Bluebirds are generally monogamous, staying together throughout the breeding season, and may breed together for more than one season. However, some birds may switch mates during a breeding season to raise a second brood.
Can you tell the Western from the Mountain?
Lots more on bluebirds, the rest of our expert's informative articles & local birds at www.reno.wbu.com. Sign up there for our monthly Wild Birds Unlimited Newsletter and more.
Bree's Top 5 Must Have Houseplants
As summer starts to turn to fall I start focusing on all the houseplants that I can enjoy throughout the indoor months. After much research I have come up with my Top 5 list:
- #5: Fire Pencil Cactus: a fast grower in full sun which displays beautiful, interesting shades of pink, orange, or yellow. Looks great in a succulent garden or showcased on its own.
- #4: Lucky Bamboo: a hardy, low maintenance plant consumed in legend and mysticism. Said to give good luck and fortune to the owner, especially given as a gift. Submerge roots in water only and keep out of direct sunlight (shown earlier in newsletter).
- #3: Venus Fly Trap: known to consume bugs and spiders, it truly springs to life before your eyes. Feed these little carnivorous monsters those pesky summer houseflies and give it four hours of direct sunlight per day.
- #2: Peace Lily: listed as a NASA Top 10 Household Air Cleaning Plants and has elegant green foliage with white lily flowers. It lets you know when it's thirsty with drooping foliage; once watered it will spring back to life in a couple hours.
- #1: Bromeliads: complement any living space with bright colors of yellow, magenta, orange, red and more. Adaptable to any home environment, these hardy tropical plants can take infrequent watering schedules; flowers can last for three months or longer.
Interior Plant Services
Commercial, Residential and Custom Resort Projects
This latest installation features live and artificial (faux) plants. The arrangement is customized by enhancing the natural wood and granite rock features of the surrounding space.
Call (775) 825-0602 ext.134 for more information.
| |New from Moana Landscape Services . . . Seasonal Color for Homes & Businesses
- Unique Custom Containers for your property, artfully designed by our Seasonal Color Specialist, Leslie Richardson. Service includes on-site evaluation & installation. Call today 825-0602 x 134 for free estimate.
- Convenient planting - - drop off your pot(s) and we'll do the rest. Drop off and pick up at the Potting Shed, located across the parking lot from the Landscape Design Center. Current hours are:
Saturday and Sunday: 10 AM - 2 PM
Monday thru Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Looking for ways to reduce your water usage by 10%?
Call 825-0602 x 134 to ask how we can tune up your irrigation system, or for more savings, ask about our Easy Turf ... truly superior artificial grass - - no watering.
Water Saving Lawn Hint ... Keep your grass longer this summer and "step on it" to see if it springs back. If it does, you don't need more water.
Bulk Material Installation & Spreading
Need rock for your landscape project? We can deliver and spread! And check out our flagstone, Sunset Gold and Mesquite Charcoal, both in the ¾-1 ¼ size, perfect for walkways and patios. We are located right behind the Garden Center on South Virginia St. and are open 7 days a week. Call us at 775-853-1319 x 3.
Upcoming Seminars and Events:
Seminars Resume after Labor Day
Saturday, August 16: Jazz in the Arboretum Third Annual Party in the Garden
5:30 - 8:00 PM - Hosted by May Arboretum Society
Burke Garden in Rancho San Raphael Park, Reno
Live music and entertainment by Scot Marshall Quartet, refreshments by Little House Restaurant and Rounds Bakery, Beer and Wine from Silver Peak Brewery and Whispering Vine. Society members $45.00, non-members $50.00, before Aug 14th. After Aug. 14th and night of the party, $60. Reservations can be made at May Arboretum Society's website, www.mayarboretumsociety.org. Or send check to: MAS, PO Box 6225, Reno, NV 89513.
Plan & Plant
Now is the perfect time to use our Plan & Plant resource to easily design and get expert assistance for those dreams and changes you have for your yard. Take a look and see if it inspires you ... we all can be "landscape designers" with these simple tools.