Moana Lane Garden Center
The Florist, Greenhouse & Gift Shop
1100 W. Moana Lane, Reno
S. Virginia St. Garden Center
Tree Land & Moana Rock
11301 S. Virginia St., Reno
Pyramid Way Garden Center Sparks Nursery & Greenhouse
3397 Pyramid Way, Sparks
Monday - Saturday:
8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
At all three locations including all 3 Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops, Tree Land & Moana Rock.
The Florist at Moana Lane is closed Sunday (except before Valentine's Day, Mother's Day & Easter Sunday) but great arrangements are available in the cooler and orders taken by nursery teammates.
Landscape & Design Center
Water-Wise Irrigation, Hardscapes, Maintenance & Water Features
1190 W. Moana Lane, Reno
775-825-0602 X 134
NV Lic. #3379 A, D
CA Lic. #317448
Coming Soon to a Landscape Near You ... SPRING ... What About Your Landscape?
Timely, Local High Desert Tips
Now is the time to ...
- Turn on your irrigation system and inspect for leaks, broken/clogged heads, coverage and other problems. Or let Moana Nursery's irrigation specialist do it for you; call 825-0602 x134 to schedule an appointment.
- Hummingbirds have begun appearing. Put out hummingbird feeders in order to attract new visitors. Change nectar frequently until they begin feeding regularly when you'll have to refill!
- Core aerate your lawn and then fertilize and also apply a pre-emergent to control weeds. Use G&B Organics Lawn Fertilizer along with Concern Weed Preventer or Bonide Crabgrass Preventer that contains a slow release fertilizer.
- To bring an old lawn renewed vigor, fertilize with G&B Organics Lawn Fertilizer and top dress with G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner or G&B Organics Purely Compost to ¼ inch depth.
- Release beneficial nematodes when night time temperatures are above 45 degrees for control of soil dwelling pests. Ladybugs, praying mantids & lacewings can be released at the same time to control a wide range of garden pests.
- Feed trees and shrubs that have been planted more than a year. Moana recommends G&B Organics Paradise Fertilizer and systemic Bonide Annual Tree & Shrub Insect Control if insects have been a problem in the past.
Rewards Member Only April 2018 Special:
15% Savings on All Pottery!
Fruit Trees & Bushes: Apples, Peaches, Cherries & Pears; Blueberries
Trees: 8/10' BB Blue Spruce
Perennials - plant once and enjoy year after year: 'Moonshine' & 'Trevi Fountain' Pulmonaria, 'Dracula's Kiss' Iris, 'Orchid Frost' Lamium, 'Celebrity' Peony, 'Candystripe' Creeping Phlox
Annuals - plant every year: 'MiniFamous Double Amethyst' Calibrachoa, 'Clear Crystals White' Alyssum, 'Bonanza Bee' Marigold, 'Montego Burgundy Bicolor' Snapdragon, 'Americana Light Pink Splash' Geranium
Veggies: 'Ruby Perfection' Cabbage, 'Patio Pride' Peas, 'Corvair' Spinach, 'Destiny' Broccoli
Herbs: Peppermint, 'Barbeque' Rosemary, 'French' Thyme, Cilantro, 'Italian' Parsley
Vintage Garden Blooms Brighten Someone's Day Our custom designed "Vintage Garden Blooms" has a beautiful variety of vibrant spring blooms and is designed in a reusable corrugated metal container. To order please call the Florist at Moana Nursery - 775-825-0671 or visit our website: www.thefloristatmoana.com.
On ALL Annuals/Color Plants at all 3 stores.
Plant every year annuals at a huge early spring savings!!!
Cold Hardy, Plant Now.
Offer expires April 15th, 2018. Cannot be combined with other discounts.
See all April Savings Here.
Debbie's High Desert Shrub of the Month: 'PJM' Rhododendron
This compact shrub (3-6' x3-6') has beautiful bright lavender-pink blooms and small dark green leaves that take on a mahogany-brown color in the winter. Noted for its exceptional tolerance to heat and cold, it is also considered rabbit resistant. It makes a nice border and looks great in woodland gardens. It requires rich, moist, well-drained soil. Clip off spent (dead) flower clusters immediately after bloom.
Have you seen all our new "how to" videos? This one is "How to Plant a Tree in the High Desert" with our plant doctor Lisa.
Follow this link below to all our videos which are designed for quick viewing and "how to" high desert assistance. We are adding to our video collection weekly so check back often: http://www.moananursery.com/helpful-high-desert-videos/how-to-videos.html
Carmel's April High Desert Bird of the Month:
Scientific name: Spinus psaltria
How to identify:
Lesser Goldfinches are tiny, stub-billed songbirds with long, pointed wings, and short, notched tails. Males are bright yellow below with a glossy black cap and white patches in the wings; their backs can be glossy black or dull green (particularly on the West Coast). They have a black tail with large, white corners. Females and immatures have olive backs, dull yellow underparts, and black wings marked by two whitish wingbars.
Lesser Goldfinches feed in weedy fields, budding treetops, and the brush of open areas and edges. Depending on food availability, they may concentrate in mountain canyons and desert oases, but they are also fairly common in suburbs.
Click here to read the rest of Carmel's informative articles and more on local birds at www.reno.wbu.com
Sign up there for our monthly Wild Birds Unlimited newsletter.
High Desert Moana-Grown
20% Savings on Each:
#15 Eastern Redbud (reg. 152)
#15 'Canada Red' Chokecherry' (reg. 152)
#5 Concord Grape Staked (reg. 42)
#5 'Rose Glow' Barberry (reg. 37)
3 cu. ft.G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner
Freshest Bird Seed in Town
Red Hot Prices for April
20# Deluxe Blend 21.99 reg / 18.99 sale
20# Supreme Blend 24.99 reg / 21.99 sale
New Shipment of Birdbaths
We have a large selection of concrete and granite birdbaths in. Get yours now while selection is best. Makes a great gift for that special someone and the birds will treat you with regular visits!
Bree's Plant of the Month: Pulmonaria (Lungwort)
This mounding perennial is hardy, tough and doesn't get the attention it deserves. With bright green foliage that comes in solid green, spotted white or frosted white, it is an exceptionally well behaved groundcover. The trumpet-like flowers glow in colors of purple, pink, coral and blue and appear in late March or early April. Through the ''blooming season blooms may change in color from light to dark shades. Plant in partial shade. If planted in a sunnier spot be sure it gets plenty of water.
Bree's Timely Gardening Tips for April:
- Plant annual seeds of Asters, Cosmos, Marigolds and Zinnias in the garden.
- Cut the flower heads of spring flowing bulbs when they have finished blooming. Don't cut the green foliage yet; they will continue to grow for a few weeks and provide the bulb with food for flowering next year.
- Plant cool season vegetables -- Peas, Spinach, Cauliflower and Cabbage now.
- If you planted seeds, be sure to keep them thinned out according to the seed packet instructions to avoid crowding.
- When the danger of frost has passed, uncover strawberry beds, fertilize and keep them well watered
|Moana Nursery's High Desert Gardener Services for Residential & Business
For information or estimates on any of our services, call 825-0602 x134.
- Plant Based Garden Design, Installation and Maintenance
- Specialty Gardens
- Annual Bedding Color
- Custom On-Site Exterior Container Plantings
- Potting Shed Drop-Off Container and Event Services
- Seasonal and Holiday Decorating
Interior Plant Services:
Commercial, Residential and Custom Resort Projects
Visit our new Pyramid Way Greenhouse to see examples of green walls and more of Vicky's work featured in this photo.
We provide three interior plant service programs - - you can buy, rent or lease. For a free consultation with Vicky Ross, interior plant design & maintenance manager, call 825-0602 x 134.
April 14: Growing Vegetables Successfully Anywhere
You have asked for it, now you have it: a complete seminar on growing veggies in our late spring and summer in northern Nevada - in raised beds & containers for single to multiple crops, from seedlings to harvest. We have had some hard years recently that caused poor results for many homeowners. Moana Plant Doctor Jon Bruyn will explain how to mitigate the stresses our environment can cause for plants and you. You will leave knowing what can go wrong and confident that you can handle whatever northern Nevada gives us.
April 21: In Your Garden Now
Attend this seminar for timely information on what your garden and landscape needs to flourish this upcoming season. Tips on fertilizing, pruning, watering and what to plant now, will be discussed. The Adventures of Gardening! Let Plant Doctor, certified arborist and gardening addict Steve Packer share with you all the fun things you can do in your yard now.
April 28: The Joys of Bird Feeding.
How do you attract the birds you want to see? What are the best foods and feeders? What types of birds can we expect in our area and how do we tell them apart? This seminar is for both beginners and long-time hobbyists to learn how to choose the right feeders, quality foods and improve backyard set-ups. Wild Birds Unlimited Expert Carmel Hilton will be your host.
All seminars are free and held at Moana Nursery, 1190 W. Moana Lane, in our Landscape and Design Center unless otherwise stated. Seminars begin promptly at 10 a.m. and last one hour unless otherwise noted. Please arrive 15 minutes early as seating is limited to 60 and is first come, first served. Visit www.moananursery.com or call (775) 825-0600 for more information.
Relocated Sparks Pyramid Way Garden Center
We are excited to show off our bigger, better garden center with more selection, a huge greenhouse & an expanded Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shop.
3397 Pyramid Way ... (775) 425-4300
Easy Access with dedicated turn lanes on to Queen Way at the light, just north of the store, right into our expanded parking lot.
Visit any time to get expert gardening information ... 24/7!
- High Desert Fact Sheets
- Bi-weekly Timely Tips
- Helpful High Desert Videos
- Monthly Newsletters
- Weekly Specials
- High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- And much more ...
An Updated, Local Tool For You ... Moana Nursery's Exclusive High Desert Plant Finder & Guide
- Search and explore plants that thrive in our unique climate and region.
- Build wish lists, learn about plant characteristics and find the perfect plants for you and your home.
- Bring your wish list to your favorite Moana Nursery location and our expert staff will help with your choices.
- Upgraded to be even better in 2017.